What's new

Game Tread: Pelicans @ Utah, 11/22/14, 7pm, MST

I think when the rim blocked Davis's reverse layup attempt and Kanter got called for the foul, our big men really realized guarding Anthony Davis is impossible.

Quin needs to be quicker to use a timeout when he sees things going south.It seems like he wants the team to learn how to fight its way out of bad stretches but this young team is just letting the game get away and a loss being the foregone conclusion.we have a lot of players that have taken a lot of beatings and Ls the last few years.call a timeout and try and pump them up before we get down double digits and the game is lost.you cant yell wakeup everytime from the sideline and have it work.

This type of performance shows why young teams don't consistently win in this league. All I can say about Davis is WOW!!! Why couldn't the Jazz get the number one pick when he was available. I didn't see much of the game but is Quinn giving up on Kanter. He only played 17 minutes was he hurt or is Quinn sending a message. Burks was awful last night and type of regular game and the outcome could have been different. Looking at the stats too many turnovers and offensive rebounds certainly determined the outcome.

I am just glad the Jazz are not in the same division as New Orleans. They are in last place of the toughest division in the NBA from top to bottom. Oh well another lost, onto the next game. Remember last year the Jazz were 1-14 after 15 games so there is still improvement even though they are only 5-9.

Kanter just wasn't rebounding the ball. That was the one area we were getting destroyed in and Kanter wasn't getting it done. Obviously the refs weren't going to let him play defense against Davis, but he DOES know how to rebound, he just wasn't giving it any effort.

Quin needs to be quicker to use a timeout when he sees things going south.It seems like he wants the team to learn how to fight its way out of bad stretches but this young team is just letting the game get away and a loss being the foregone conclusion.we have a lot of players that have taken a lot of beatings and Ls the last few years.call a timeout and try and pump them up before we get down double digits and the game is lost.you cant yell wakeup everytime from the sideline and have it work.

I always suspected that the Jazz preseason was going to last 20 games into the regular season. Quinn gets a full pass for any coaching decisions made in those 20 games as far as I'm concerned.

What made me upset was we cut the lead to 5 after 3.

Then all the subs came in, game over. Quinn let the lead get too large before bringing troops in.

Heck, we had the 10 minute clock delay.

I would have like to see Hay/Fav stay in for 1st 4 of fourth and try to sneak in a 1-2 minute rest.

Also, when we **need** to score I think it is time it always goes to Hay or Fav. They are our tem, like it or not.

Hayward (now that he is not sick), I think can take it to the hole on any team any time.

Time to take over the team IMO. He seems to do it in spots when he is told to

I think when the rim blocked Davis's reverse layup attempt and Kanter got called for the foul, our big men really realized guarding Anthony Davis is impossible.

On a more positive note:

ImpoliteFrequentBluefintuna.gif

I was there. Davis is a ****ing beast. Third best player in the league at 22, won't be long before he is number 1. Never seen anyone who looks like him, seriously awesome to watch him play.

Burks... I love you bro but WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? Why does he suddenly think he is Ray Allen? He took some seriously terrible shots last night, and that freakin leg kick.... He'll never be an above average shooter. I can't imagine he would blatantly disobey Snyder for 38 minutes every night, but if Quin isn't telling him to drive waaaaay more then we've got a problem.

Hayward seems to be feeling better. He was the only player out there worth a damn for the Jazz. I was worried he was going into one of his usual slumps, but it seems his cold really knocked him out over the last week. Man, if he keeps this up he may be in the running for the ASG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkBnBNh2Ys0&list=UUXLZTfAmUTr1lGtlMKhC7sQ

@Tjonessltrib: Asked Derrick Favors about the officiating from last night. He said he's glad I didn't ask last night because he would've been fined

You're going to have to give more explanation here. In the Golden State game Quin called a timeout at 9:51in the first quarter. Are you suggesting he should have called it sooner?

Last night the game was tied at 27 when the official timeout was called at 8:57, The pelicans out scored the jazz by 7 in the next 2 minutes, jazz got the ball back at 6:37 and Quin called a timeout. Down seven, coming out of the timeout Enes clanked a threepoint shot. For the next two minutes they played basically even, being down 8 at the pelicans timeout at 4:35.

Again for about 2 minutes the jazz played even with thPellies, then Davis and Withey score 7 points to the jazz's 1. Quin called another timeout, the Jazz are down 16.

They finish the quarter down 17.

So, I guess you are correct that the timeouts are stopping the other teams runs, but the Jazz was not making any runs of their own. And Quin calls timeouts when the other team goes on a 6-8 point run, I don't think he can really call a timeout every time the other team goes on a 4 or 5 point run, but maybe?

Kanter is in Quin's doghouse for sure. He doesn't trust Kanter with the offense (or defense) so if there is a slight mismatch against Kanter, Kanter isn't playing long.

I saw a tweet last night that Kanter had a defensive rating of 150. I'm not a stats geek, so I don't know if that is bad or terrible. But is this why he is in the dog house?

I went to look it up, it appears the jazz starters all have terrible defensive rating. Trey is ranked 9th, Alec 10, Enes 14, Hayward 23 and Favors 38... In the worst def rating among starters. I don't know what it means, other than the Snyder's maybe should consider renting?

Hayward seems to be feeling better. He was the only player out there worth a damn for the Jazz. I was worried he was going into one of his usual slumps, but it seems his cold really knocked him out over the last week. Man, if he keeps this up he may be in the running for the ASG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkBnBNh2Ys0&list=UUXLZTfAmUTr1lGtlMKhC7sQ

He has a few vintage Manu Ginobli-looking highlights, especially the drive and dunk.

Regarding defense, all it takes is one person who is a weak link to pull other players out of position. If Burke or Burks keep getting beat, it means that Favors has to hedge and is out of position to defend his own guy. Even having one or two guys who don't do their share of rebounding can hurt the team's overall defensive rating.

Snyder seems to be too concerned with the mismatches...but till now his changes during the games didn't bring profits...on the contrary he has worsened further some games.

Last edited: