What's new

Gamethread: Utah Jazz @ Los Angeles Lakers 4/7/19 7:30 pm MDT

To all the "Jazz front office has no interest in building a championship level team" people- please tell me the move we should have made, but didn't that would have made us a contender this year?

I don't think you can point to one move that would have made us a contender. For a small market team, you have to play chess. It's the many small moves. Like Golden State - they dumped a little salary, drafted a good player (Curry), dumped a little salary, traded for Iggy, drafted a good player (Klay), drafted a good player (Draymond), tanked and drafted another good player (Barnes). Then made sure they had max space for a max guy like Durant. You could also do this for San Antonio, Detroit, others.

Here are the moves I question just in the last 12 months:

- Paying Favors $17 when hardly any team had more than $8.6 MLE million to spend. Paying him $12 million would have opened the door to other moves. And by giving Favors so much, we had to pay Exum because this big Favors contract took all our cap space. SAVE $5 MILLION

- Bringing Thabo back at $5.25. We like him, but we could have declined his option and re-signed him for half of $5.25 which is more than he would have gotten elsewhere coming off an injury and that weed suspension. SAVE $2.5+ MILLION

Just those two moves above saves us almost $8 million. Add that money to the money saved in the Burks/Korver deal, and we would have had a much easier time facilitating a trade deadline deal. We could have absorbed much more money while staying under the luxury tax. And taking more money would have given other teams more incentive. Regardless, it's bad business to pay much more than market value for guys.

We could easily speculate on other deals we could have done, but the deals we did do not only limited growth this season, they will probably damage hopes for next season as well.

Jazz have lost 2 games over the last 14 games.

Yeah, let's blow it up because of one disappointing loss to the Lakers.
These losses could be the difference between a first or second round exit. I get that every team loses but last night we got out hustled, outplayed, and down right punched in the mouth by a D-League caliber squad. A week from now this game will most likely be forgotten but if we meet up with Houston(a better team than us imo) this game will most likely a deciding factor to how we end the season.

If I'm wrong, I'm still going to call ****** basketball, ****** basketball. Personally there is no excuse to getting beat like we did last night regardless of our past games.

These losses could be the difference between a first or second round exit. I get that every team loses but last night we got out hustled, outplayed, and down right punched in the mouth by a D-League caliber squad. A week from now this game will most likely be forgotten but if we meet up with Houston(a better team than us imo) this game will most likely a deciding factor.
Yeah, it is a disappointing loss, 100%.

These losses could be the difference between a first or second round exit. I get that every team loses but last night we got out hustled, outplayed, and down right punched in the mouth by a D-League caliber squad. A week from now this game will most likely be forgotten but if we meet up with Houston(a better team than us imo) this game will most likely a deciding factor to how we end the season.

If I'm wrong, I'm still going to call ****** basketball, ****** basketball. Personally there is no excuse to getting beat like we did last night regardless of our past games.
I think a bigger issue, too, is if it's true that we're really being "precautionary" with Rubio, Favors, and Korver. I mean, it's ideal if they get some rest, if that's truly what they're doing and there's "nothing to worry about," but I'd question the wisdom of running Rudy, Donovan, and Joe into the ground in the process.

Stop being a baby

Your face is laughable. The Millers are making money. The effort to get the Jazz roster towards a championship is obviously not there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nice comeback. Are you 13?

We lose one game and you blame the organization for not caring about a championship. Such a pathetic take. And if you actually believe this, then why do you watch the games? Why would you support an organization that simply wants mediocrity?

Oh and I suppose the Millers and Dennis tried to lose in the second round last year. That was their plan all along?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Google the Milwaukee Bucks transactions. Similar moves would have been very possible. Signing Bjelly also, trading for a semi durable point guard.
Getting value for George Hill, Hayward, Kanter, Millsap, Al Jefferson would have been nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why don't you apply for a GM position? Seems like you're very qualified and know exactly how to build a championship team.

You are insufferable. I sincerely hope this isn't how you act when something bad happens in real life.

It's one game. Move on. Get better. Try harder next time.

The loss is frustrating, but there is no reason to overreact to it. This team will be judged by the playoffs. We can look back at this game like we did the Clippers loss a few years ago or the Kobe 60 game or others, but really, we control our destiny. If we flop, then we can overreact.

In the grand scheme of this season, this game probably doesn't matter all that much.

I still reserve the right to be salty about the Jazz losing to the Lakers on any given night, doubly so when the Lakers are playing a bunch of G leaguers.
Agreed

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Until the Jazz actually show a pulse beyond the first round, I'm not expecting anything. For the last three years we've heard how things are moving in the right direction and it looks like they'll end up right where they've been the last three years: middle of the pack in the West and well behind the top of the conference. I have no faith this team could win more than one game against Houston or Golden State. It just seems we're always just a step or two behind where we need to be to be a legitimate threat to win the west...as it's been pretty much every season over the last 20 years.
You think finishing 4th or 5th and getting to the 2nd round is middle of the pack in the West? Lol your math sucks.
Getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs means there are only 4 teams left. So that means you are a top 4 team in the West.
Since there are 15 teams in the West, middle of the pack is 7.5 to be exact.
So top 4 is near the top of the West rather than the middle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app