What's new

Gamethread: Utah Jazz @ Los Angeles Lakers 4/7/19 7:30 pm MDT

To all the "Jazz front office has no interest in building a championship level team" people- please tell me the move we should have made, but didn't that would have made us a contender this year?

Larry H. said on a few occasions that operating in the black was the most important objective. It's no different with the current group. What is the chief objective of a Board of Directors? To maximize profitability. And NO ONE in Jazz history has done that better than Dennis Lindsey. He came in and slashed payroll to the 28th-30th of NBA teams. And, oops he's done it again, by refusing to sign ANY upgrades to the roster. Look at all the FA's who signed 1-yr deals. You can't tell me no one wouldn't have taken the MLE to play in Utah. Instead, he doubles down on the lie that Utah's player development program is far superior to any other team. Yep, Niang and Allen were the answers while everyone else added legit talent this year.

Oh, I forgot, Lindsey is just waiting until GS ends their run, or Milwaukee, or Houston. Or I guess we wait to see what Lebron is going to do. Or Boston if they get AD.
I've always been a big fan of DL but I think you're 100% correct after us staying put last off-season. I have lost a ton of faith in our FO. While it's a world class organization as to how it's treats it's employees, Im not sure the end goal is a championship.

To all the "Jazz front office has no interest in building a championship level team" people- please tell me the move we should have made, but didn't that would have made us a contender this year?
Google the Milwaukee Bucks transactions. Similar moves would have been very possible. Signing Bjelly also, trading for a semi durable point guard.
Getting value for George Hill, Hayward, Kanter, Millsap, Al Jefferson would have been nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what happened. I checked the Jazz's score and the Trailblazer's score late in the game. Portland was winning most the game, but with like 5 minutes left they were up by 7 or so. Feeling like the stars were going to align for the right win and loss (I picked Virginia and Texas Tech in the finals) I put on Game of Thrones, played a lil guitar and am ending the night with a nice, warm bath. Shouldn't have checked the scores.

They lost to the Lakers.

The mother ****ing Lakers.

How about Exum and Burks? They get hurt yes, they also didn't really develop.

I still think the Jury is still out with Exum. Or at least, we'll never know how much Exum could have developed his game had he not been hurt so much.

In any case, it's laughable to me to think that the Jazz aren't among the best, if not the very best at developing players. It's not like we've had years of top picks to work with.

I still think the Jury is still out with Exum. Or at least, we'll never know how much Exum could have developed his game had he not been hurt so much.

In any case, it's laughable to me to think that the Jazz aren't among the best, if not the very best at developing players. It's not like we've had years of top picks to work with.
You can make the case that they are really good and you can make the case that they have been very fortunate.

Pick a list of FA's signed this year over Niang. But it's not just this season. You can go back to the very start of Lindsey's reign. You either rebuild, or you don't. You don't finish in the late lottery. I think I've pointed this out before...keeping Millsap and signing a decent PG would have put the Jazz in the playoffs every season and cost the Jazz.............Exum. That's it. Still would have selected Gobert. Still could have drafted Hood, etc.

Lindsey has wasted FIVE first round picks on PG's. You can't have that level of failure if you want to contend. Not having good young prospects in the pipeline prevents Utah from making other trades. Or how about having some decent players by using cap room instead of having the LOWEST payroll in the league for several years, maybe 5-6 legit NBA players and the remainder scrubs. Do you think Utah could have parlayed those guys into additional picks or put them in trade packages?

Sure, we can get guys like Korver. But Utah can't trade for top talent. Lindsey hit the jackpot with Mitchell. Ingles is a solid player. Gobert, well, it wasn't Dennis who discovered him; that credit belongs to the Jazz int'l scout at the time. But give him credit for making the pick. Even that has an asterisk, though. One of the reasons the Jazz made the move up for Burke is that the center they were targeting was expected to be gone. So had fate not intervened, maybe we'd be stuck with Olynyk instead.

DL is committed to bringing in a title. I believe the bigger issue is that he struggles with the uncertainty (of which there’s a lot, if you’re being honest) of many decisions. Analysis paralysis anxiety on top of holding an unscratched lottery ticket and not being willing to cash it in without knowing its value — what if it’s the winner?

I thought Donovan, Rudy and Joe all looked a little tired tonight, which is understandable given all the injuries. Rudy still had a good game but didn't seem quite himself defensively.

We now need to win/lose depending on how the blazers play. The Jazz must lose on purpose to get them if need be

Until the Jazz actually show a pulse beyond the first round, I'm not expecting anything. For the last three years we've heard how things are moving in the right direction and it looks like they'll end up right where they've been the last three years: middle of the pack in the West and well behind the top of the conference. I have no faith this team could win more than one game against Houston or Golden State. It just seems we're always just a step or two behind where we need to be to be a legitimate threat to win the west...as it's been pretty much every season over the last 20 years.

I gotta say this is quite an embarrassing lost. Even without Bron, Kuz and Bozo not playing, the Jazz fall to the Fakers. Well, here's hoping the next two wins I guess.

Im going into the playoffs not expecting a thing.

This team had a weird year. Bad start, better middle, and solid ending. I dont have as much excitement as i did last year though. The energy doesnt seem as high this year.

Had to work early and have to admit I'm a mix of shocked and not shocked that I see we lost last night. It seems like every year we lose to a team late that we have no business losing to. Pretty sad we couldn't get this win tonight due to depth we didn't build in the offseason. If we have to play Houston or GS in the first round, I think we are going to get embarrassed.