What's new

General Conference - Fall 2010

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
For you Mormons out there, any General Conference talks stand out to you?

For me one was Patrick Kearon (the British guy) in the Priesthood session. He said a word-for-word quote something that my wife and I have tried to drill into our kids: "You are not the exception to the rule."

Pres. Uchtdorf's talk about pride in the same session was also pretty inspiring, I felt.

For you Mormons out there, any General Conference talks stand out to you?

For me one was Patrick Kearon (the British guy) in the Priesthood session. He said a word-for-word quote something that my wife and I have tried to drill into our kids: "You are not the exception to the rule."

Pres. Uchtdorf's talk about pride in the same session was also pretty inspiring, I felt.

I liked Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on pride as well.
When he talked about the amount of pride in sports and for those who hope bad things to rival teams. I immediately thought of Max Hall.
Then I thought of all BYU/Utah homers/haters.

I liked Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on pride as well.
When he talked about the amount of pride in sports and for those who hope bad things to rival teams. I immediately thought of Max Hall.
Then I thought of all BYU/Utah homers/haters.
The Arabian guy's talk was awesome. Also, I will be starting a thread and swearing off baggin on Utah after Uctdorf's talk.

Whose the guy that speaks with god personally these days? Uchtdorf doesn't sound familiar.

Whose the guy that speaks with god personally these days? Uchtdorf doesn't sound familiar.

Every member of the church speaks personally with God, or should. If you're asking who is the prophet/president of the church, though, that's Thomas Monson. Dieter Uchtdorf is an apostle, who became one of Pres. Monson's counselors several years ago.

General Conference made me miss the ryder cup. Not cool general conference, not cool at all.

Not to be a jerk but why cant they just put this on kbyu or byutv or something?

Packer's talk this morning was solid. I've always enjoyed the stern talks/scriptures because I think that's the one thing that so many people, including myself, have the hardest time accepting. Loving God is an all in or nothing game.

Last edited:
Packer's talk this morning was solid. I've always enjoyed the stern talks/scriptures because I think that's the one thing that so many people, including myself, have the hardest time accepting. Loving God is an all in or nothing game.

This. I bet beantown enjoyed it as well.

Conference? I thought that BYU was trying to do away with conference.

Wow.

Anyhow, am I the only Mo' on the board who considers conference weekend as, "My Week Off"? I only watch what my wife forces me to watch, which was zilch this year. Woot.

I'm surprised nobody spoke about this sooner. Pure rubbish.

Some of the quotes from that article will be/are cringe worthy.

Some argue that “they were pre-set and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural,” he said. “Not so! Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember he is our father.”

This is so frustrating on so many levels. My friends baby is dying from Cystic Fibrosis. Why would Heavenly Father do that to anyone, let alone a 1 year old? Horrible quote. Just horrible.

Reminds me of this gem:
LDS - "THE NEGROES ARE NOT EQUAL WITH OTHER RACES where the receipt of certain spiritual blessings are concerned, ...but this inequality is not of man's origin. IT IS THE LORD'S DOING, is based on his eternal laws of justice, and grows out of the LACK OF SPIRITUAL VALIANCE OF THOSE CONCERNED IN THEIR FIRST ESTATE [the Mormon pre-existence]." LDS "Apostle" Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 527 - 528, 1966 edition

When will MAN learn that he is NOT God, and that the spew that comes out of our minds/mouths isn't fact, and that they are, no ****, not infallible? This kind of stuff drives me batty.

Wow.

Anyhow, am I the only Mo' on the board who considers conference weekend as, "My Week Off"? I only watch what my wife forces me to watch, which was zilch this year. Woot.

leash32138.jpg