What's new

General Conference - Fall 2010

https://beta-newsroom.lds.org/artic...-rights-campaign-petition-same-sex-attraction
Church Responds to HRC Petition

Oct 12 2010 — Salt Lake City

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement through a spokesman following the delivery of a petition by the Human Rights Campaign (Video and audio of the statement being delivered at a press conference will be posted soon):

My name is Michael Otterson. I am here representing the leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to address the matter of the petition presented today by the Human Rights Campaign.

While we disagree with the Human Rights Campaign on many fundamentals, we also share some common ground. This past week we have all witnessed tragic deaths across the country as a result of bullying or intimidation of gay young men. We join our voice with others in unreserved condemnation of acts of cruelty or attempts to belittle or mock any group or individual that is different – whether those differences arise from race, religion, mental challenges, social status, sexual orientation or for any other reason. Such actions simply have no place in our society.

This Church has felt the bitter sting of persecution and marginalization early in our history, when we were too few in numbers to adequately protect ourselves and when society’s leaders often seemed disinclined to help. Our parents, young adults, teens and children should therefore, of all people, be especially sensitive to the vulnerable in society and be willing to speak out against bullying or intimidation whenever it occurs, including unkindness toward those who are attracted to others of the same sex. This is particularly so in our own Latter-day Saint congregations. Each Latter-day Saint family and individual should carefully consider whether their attitudes and actions toward others properly reflect Jesus Christ’s second great commandment - to love one another.

As a church, our doctrinal position is clear: any sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong, and we define marriage as between a man and a woman. However, that should never, ever be used as justification for unkindness. Jesus Christ, whom we follow, was clear in His condemnation of sexual immorality, but never cruel. His interest was always to lift the individual, never to tear down.
Related
Additional Resources

* Interview With Elder Dallin H. Oaks and Elder Lance B. Wickman: “Same-Gender Attraction”
* Church Supports Nondiscrimination Ordinances
* The Divine Institution of Marriage
* God Loveth His Children
* President Boyd K. Packer, “Cleansing the Inner Vessel”

Further, while the Church is strongly on the record as opposing same-sex marriage, it has openly supported other rights for gays and lesbians such as protections in housing or employment.

The Church’s doctrine is based on love. We believe that our purpose in life is to learn, grow and develop, and that God’s unreserved love enables each of us to reach our potential. None of us is limited by our feelings or inclinations. Ultimately, we are free to act for ourselves.

The Church recognizes that those of its members who are attracted to others of the same sex experience deep emotional, social and physical feelings. The Church distinguishes between feelings or inclinations on the one hand and behavior on the other. It’s not a sin to have feelings, only in yielding to temptation.

There is no question that this is difficult, but Church leaders and members are available to help lift, support and encourage fellow members who wish to follow Church doctrine. Their struggle is our struggle. Those in the Church who are attracted to someone of the same sex but stay faithful to the Church’s teachings can be happy during this life and perform meaningful service in the Church. They can enjoy full fellowship with other Church members, including attending and serving in temples, and ultimately receive all the blessings afforded to those who live the commandments of God.

Obviously, some will disagree with us. We hope that any disagreement will be based on a full understanding of our position and not on distortion or selective interpretation. The Church will continue to speak out to ensure its position is accurately understood.

God’s universal fatherhood and love charges each of us with an innate and reverent acknowledgement of our shared human dignity. We are to love one another. We are to treat each other with respect as brothers and sisters and fellow children of God, no matter how much we may differ from one another.

We hope and firmly believe that within this community, and in others, kindness, persuasion and goodwill can prevail.

By that definition, there are a lot of men in prison (or the Navy, for that matter) that are gay, even though they never consider sex with men when there are females around. Absent females, lots of men will express their sexuality with males while still on the island. Howeve4r, once they get retruned to a society with females, many of them will focus on the women instead instead.

Hey now, all Navy ships now allow women crew members. The only vessels that currently do not allow enlisted women are submarines. I didn't know any dude that "turned" gay while at sea.

I did have a lesbian working for me. She was in a serious heterosexual relationship until shortly before she joined the Navy. She suspected her boyfriend was actually gay because he never tried to have sex with her. In listening to her story you could tell she wondered what was wrong with her that made him not even try to have sex. Anyway, she started experimenting with other women in tech school just after boot camp while living in an all female barracks. When I met her she was in a several year old relationship with another woman. She admitted to me (and swore me to secrecy) that she was also attracted to men, but that she wasn't open about her bisexuality because it was looked down upon in the lesbian community for a few reasons. One of which was that lesbians who were really bi give some the perception that it is in fact a choice and that lesbians are often just women who can't land a man. The other is that lesbians don't trust a bi chick in a relationship because she might find "mister right" and suddenly become hetro and want babies.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that there isn't just one kind of homosexual. I think that for many it is no choice at all, they would be attracted to the same sex no matter what environmental conditions existed. Another is a person who had early experiences that caused them to be attracted to the same sex, and that in many cases there is nothing that would be able to reverse their sexual orientation. Then I do believe that some homosexuals have essentially chosen their sexual orientation. I'm not saying they flipped a coin or something along those lines, but more like a guy who prefers blondes with big breasts to petite brunettes.

In the end I could care less what caused the person's homosexuality. I don't think homosexuality is any less legit if it is a choice as opposed to a genetic condition. I have no place telling other people how to act either way and we are all equal under the law, or at least we should be.

The Church has every right to say what they truly believe. They also have to take the heat that these statements will bring on today.
The big positive that has come from this is that everyone is talking about this. The more we discuss tough issues like this, the more some of us see or understand the other point of view better.
We can't move forward without conversation, and debate.

Some of our Mormon posters on here like Bronco and Archie are making some powerful statements to me. They are telling their true feelings. Often Mormon people get bashed for acting
like sheeps, or not being able to think for themselves. Thankfully that is not the case here. It's refreshing for me to see these points of view being expressed.

In the end, you either accept people who believe differently than you or not. It's hard for all of us to respect the opposing view. When we do though it's a beautiful thing,
and feels right. Maybe that's whole point of being down here anyways. To see how we treat each other, especially those different.

Hey now, all Navy ships now allow women crew members. The only vessels that currently do not allow enlisted women are submarines. I didn't know any dude that "turned" gay while at sea.

I am relying on the word of a submarine crew member, about my age, who served 20 years. My apologies if that did not reflect reality in the current Navy.

However, my point was that regardless of what hapened at sea, they did not "turn gay".

But they did participate in "gay behaviour". Is this not an example of turning on/off sexual attraction?

I would say its more a matter of expressing/not expressing the attraction that is already there. If they were pretty much the only two foods in the world, say lasagna and PBJ sandwiches, I'd definitely say I was a lasagna guy and choose lasagna at every opportunity. I really like lasagna, I am less fond of PBJ sanwiches. But I'll certainly eat PBJ if there is nothing else available.

Next, since you don't want to take the time to consider my analogy at all, consider this example. Lets say the pope, while addressing the world's catholic community, puts your picture up, your name and address, and tells the catholic world that you are impure and unnatural... but that he still loves you, even though you aren't going to heaven. How are YOU going to feel? How do you think your catholic neighbors are going to treat you? With love? Really? Yeah... it would suck to be on the other end of the speech then, wouldn't it.

This is always the impression I've had of what Catholics preach. My Catholic friends will tell me I'm going to hell. How does it make me feel? I don't really give a damn.

An analogy that hits a little closer to home is the way a lot of Southern Evangelicals flail around. Some of them really get under my skin, but I'm not out protesting.