What's new

Gobert Getting Mad Love on REALGM

Like this: "Gobert has incredibly soft hands, which in addition to his phenomenal wingspan give his guards an incredibly large radius they can throw the ball to around the basket. He catches virtually anything thrown his way"

I have read so many comments here about his "bad hands". He actually is great at catching the ball. He does have weak hands, so he is easily stripped but not so much as last year. Also liked the comment about Sloan saying he had never seen a guy so big with such a good motor. Go Rudy!

Also liked the comment about Sloan saying he had never seen a guy so big with such a good motor. Go Rudy!

Reminds me a bit of Noah. Then again, Sloan's basis of comparison includes Ostertag and Ameachi

Like this: "Gobert has incredibly soft hands, which in addition to his phenomenal wingspan give his guards an incredibly large radius they can throw the ball to around the basket. He catches virtually anything thrown his way"

I have read so many comments here about his "bad hands". He actually is great at catching the ball. He does have weak hands, so he is easily stripped but not so much as last year. Also liked the comment about Sloan saying he had never seen a guy so big with such a good motor. Go Rudy!

Exactly, people forget that there are different qualities to hands : strength and skill are not the same thing. His has good hand skills, catches the ball well, uses the glass for little lay ins and has a solid finger roll. The issue is an issue of strength. it also why it is so much better to serve him up high : if you give him an oop, then he can put it in directly, doesn't have to go back down to gather himself where he could be stripped.

Reminds me a bit of Noah. Then again, Sloan's basis of comparison includes Ostertag and Ameachi

Yep, since Sloan only saw Jazz centers his entire career. In fact, I think the entire time he coached the team, they only played against a practice squad. Must be why he won so many games.

Exactly, people forget that there are different qualities to hands : strength and skill are not the same thing. His has good hand skills, catches the ball well, uses the glass for little lay ins and has a solid finger roll. The issue is an issue of strength. it also why it is so much better to serve him up high : if you give him an oop, then he can put it in directly, doesn't have to go back down to gather himself where he could be stripped.

Except he can't catch the ball...

Except he can't catch the ball...

that's a very incomplete statement. He is empire state building long and in his second year in the NBA : he will fumble the majority of poorly drawn passes that are thrown too low, he needs the ball to be passed to the proper areas (minimum is waist high, ok being navel high and ideal being breast to top of the head high).

Second lots of observers tend to forget that he plays in the most crowded area in the court. There are arms and legs and bodies everywhere there plus he is like a gigantic spider with his limbs. This means that you are asking a freaking albatros standing in a phone booth to catch a ball he sees at the very last second (because of all those arms and legs around). If you want him to catch that ball, drop it be high enough. Contrary to a guy like Asik he almost always has his hands opened wide and high, where they are supposed to be when you play in the paint. If a guard turning a corner or attacking the basket drops it at the proper height, his fumble rate is very low.

Then there is the issue of getting the balls stripped before he can go up, which is an issue of strength and experience (ball protection).

Between poor passes (throwing quality passes to the big man is the guards's job, not his !) and stripped balls, we might get the impression he fumbles lots of passes, but he doesn't. decent enough passes he catches at a perfectly solid rate.

I'd say he has ok hands. He does not have good hands like Kanter and Favors do. Its been said before but the main issue is the awful passes he gets. I do not understand how Trey can pass to him so poorly. Trey passes to low or way to high most of the time. Trey also throws oops like chest passes instead of lobbing them up there like he should.

I love to see people creaming over Gobert. Sorry kids but hes OURS, and you cant have him! You can take Kanter though ;)

Reactions: MVP
I love to see people creaming over Gobert. Sorry kids but hes OURS, and you cant have him! You can take Kanter though ;)

I've been quite pleased with Kanter lately. He has really improved his defensive effort. Liek that block he got on M. Gasol in memphis. That is new for him. Kanter is not, nor will he every be, Gobert on D but he has improved. he is also much better than Gobert on O. With his current production maybe Kanter, Hood and Exum lead the bench.

Here's a prediction. Jazz won't resign Kanter after this year having decided that Gobert and Favors is the front court tandem of the future.

Can Gobert and Favors work? The best comparison off the top of my head is Duncan and Splitter. That works fine, and SA still gets great floor spacing.

Gobert's potential is simply too high for him not to be a full-time starter for the Jazz within the next year or two. I don't think Kanter will be willing to sign on to be a reserve, and the Jazz won't want to pay what he's demanding for him to play a reserve role. He's gone.

Most of the passes he doesn't catch are bounce passes at his knees. When it is waist up he almost always grabs them just fine.

He struggles to catch passes with a higher degree of difficult. I don't think I've ever seen him snag a catch with one hand and be able to go up for a basket in 1 smooth motion like I've seen from Favors. He has average hands at best, IMO. He does have good hands when rebounding though because of his intensity.

Gobert Favors is probably better but I will admit: Gobert/Kanter intrigues me.

Paul Millsap, the way he plays in Atlanta, would be a nice fit too.

that's a very incomplete statement. He is empire state building long and in his second year in the NBA : he will fumble the majority of poorly drawn passes that are thrown too low, he needs the ball to be passed to the proper areas (minimum is waist high, ok being navel high and ideal being breast to top of the head high).

Second lots of observers tend to forget that he plays in the most crowded area in the court. There are arms and legs and bodies everywhere there plus he is like a gigantic spider with his limbs. This means that you are asking a freaking albatros standing in a phone booth to catch a ball he sees at the very last second (because of all those arms and legs around). If you want him to catch that ball, drop it be high enough. Contrary to a guy like Asik he almost always has his hands opened wide and high, where they are supposed to be when you play in the paint. If a guard turning a corner or attacking the basket drops it at the proper height, his fumble rate is very low.

Then there is the issue of getting the balls stripped before he can go up, which is an issue of strength and experience (ball protection).

Between poor passes (throwing quality passes to the big man is the guards's job, not his !) and stripped balls, we might get the impression he fumbles lots of passes, but he doesn't. decent enough passes he catches at a perfectly solid rate.

Except he cant catch the ball.