What's new

Gobert Getting Mad Love on REALGM

Rudy Gobert is gonna be so awesome in this League. One of the things I like the most is his attitude. He's got some nasty, to reference the great Greg P, does not like losing, is very involved before, during and after games and is overall a great asset to keep everyone else on their toes because it seems like he will hold you accountable for mistakes you make. Like talking to players or even shoving them to where they need to be (like he did with Kanter).

Come on everyone Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
Someone stop me!!!

A few posters on that board are saying his ceiling is like Mutombo. I'm actually on board with that. When I'm feeling less lazy I'll look up some Mutombo stats.

A few posters on that board are saying his ceiling is like Mutombo. I'm actually on board with that. When I'm feeling less lazy I'll look up some Mutombo stats.

Mutumbo was pretty awesome, actually. I think Gobert will probably be better offensively than Deke, but defensively, Deke was a monster. Hall of Famer.

Looks like he averaged about 10 points, 10 boards and 3 blocks per game for his career.

Here's a prediction. Jazz won't resign Kanter after this year having decided that Gobert and Favors is the front court tandem of the future.

Can Gobert and Favors work? The best comparison off the top of my head is Duncan and Splitter. That works fine, and SA still gets great floor spacing.

Gobert's potential is simply too high for him not to be a full-time starter for the Jazz within the next year or two. I don't think Kanter will be willing to sign on to be a reserve, and the Jazz won't want to pay what he's demanding for him to play a reserve role. He's gone.

Kanter will be back. There are enough minutes at the 4/5 for all 3 bigs to get their minutes. Kanter's value won't have anything to do with him demanding a certain amount, and he won't have any say in whether or not he starts. His value will be whatever someone else is willing to throw at him, and if Utah decides to match, he's a Jazzman, regardless of coming off the bench or getting paid less than he thinks he's worth. Utah isn't in a financial position where they have to let Kanter go. If anything, he could be traded, but simply letting a #3 pick walk for nothing would be another asset wasted. Not happening.

Kanter will be back. There are enough minutes at the 4/5 for all 3 bigs to get their minutes. Kanter's value won't have anything to do with him demanding a certain amount, and he won't have any say in whether or not he starts. His value will be whatever someone else is willing to throw at him, and if Utah decides to match, he's a Jazzman, regardless of coming off the bench or getting paid less than he thinks he's worth. Utah isn't in a financial position where they have to let Kanter go. If anything, he could be traded, but simply letting a #3 pick walk for nothing would be another asset wasted. Not happening.

Kind of like how letting Millsap, who was an actual boss, was let go for nothing? (and his contract was actually super reasonable)

Not sure why you really want him back. There are a lot of good free agents that help this team a lot more than Kanter.

Kind of like how letting Millsap, who was an actual boss, was let go for nothing? (and his contract was actually super reasonable)

My recollection is that Millsap was offered an extension and he turned it down. He ended up signing with Atlanta for less money than he was offered from the Jazz. Again, that is my recollection which could be wrong.

Not sure why you really want him back. There are a lot of good free agents that help this team a lot more than Kanter.

And for cheaper. It appears we overpayed for Burks, don't want to have a whole roster of overpaid players, even if the salary cap is going up.

My recollection is that Millsap was offered an extension and he turned it down. He ended up signing with Atlanta for less money than he was offered from the Jazz. Again, that is my recollection which could be wrong.

We offered him like 32 over 4 years and Atlanta gave him 19 over 2, or something along those lines. He was offered more per year for Atlanta (sure of it) but with shorter years.

We offered him like 32 over 4 years and Atlanta gave him 19 over 2, or something along those lines. He was offered more per year for Atlanta (sure of it) but with shorter years.

I don't think millsap was comfortable here and wanted leave. I think having two young promising lottery bigs playing on the roster with him probably didn't help.

Just my opinion of the situation. I think the jazz didn't value him quite as much as they could have and millsap was happy to leave anyway

I think he just wanted big money and no one was offering it so he chose the team that was giving him the most money per year with a short deal and a starting role to prove himself further so he could cash out this upcoming year (his last opportunity for a huge check).

The gamble worked. Interested to see how much he will get in FA. Seems like he has more respect as a game changer now as opposed being just a solid starter. Think his playoff performance will heavily dictate what he gets offered next year.

I think he just wanted big money and no one was offering it so he chose the team that was giving him the most money per year with a short deal and a starting role to prove himself further so he could cash out this upcoming year (his last opportunity for a huge check).

The gamble worked. Interested to see how much he will get in FA. Seems like he has more respect as a game changer now as opposed being just a solid starter. Think his playoff performance will heavily dictate what he gets offered next year.
Maybe so.
Could have just wanted to go somewhere that he thought he could win and get to the playoffs too

Maybe so.
Could have just wanted to go somewhere that he thought he could win and get to the playoffs too

Nah, he just wanted respect (money). I'm nearly positive he and his agent stated this. If he wanted to go to a winner, he had much better options.

If he wanted to go to a winner, he had much better options.

Dat first place #1 seed atlanta hawks doe

This is very exciting to see. I'm sure a fair amount of those are actual Jazz fans (and Jazzfanz users) but still, I went through about 30 of them and basically every single comment was raving about him. This is nice to see--that it's not just us with rose-colored glasses.

Tradeable asset. Lots of other teams will have money, and FAs aren't lining up to sign in Utah, let alone when we're closer to the bottom than the top. Also, I believe he is still developing. Just the same, I'm fine with trading Enes to improve the team, I'm just not ok with letting assets walk away for nothing.

Right, so let's just make a policy of letting assets walk away for nothing, rather than learning from our mistakes. Also, there's a difference between unrestricted and restricted free agents. I still have my doubts as to whether or not Sap really ever considered coming back to a team he didn't want to match his last contract, and had regressed significantly over the last 2 years he was here. The mistake was not trading him.

And for cheaper. It appears we overpayed for Burks, don't want to have a whole roster of overpaid players, even if the salary cap is going up.

Lol at judging any of our contracts right now. Burks extension doesn't even start until next year, but I'm sure he is done developing. He'll probably never be better than he is right now.

Last edited:
Right, so let's just make a policy of letting assets walk away for nothing, rather than learning from our mistakes. Also, there's a difference between unrestricted and restricted free agents. I still have my doubts as to whether or not Sap really ever considered coming back to a team he didn't want to match his last contract, and had regressed significantly over the last 2 years he was here. The mistake was not trading him.

Lol at judging any of our contracts right now. Burks extension doesn't even start until next year, but I'm sure he is done developing. He'll probably never be better than he is right now.
The kerfuffle over hoping the Portland offer wasn't matched came from his uncle, who was a rookie player agent. He was offended the Jazz made him do his job instead of settling on whatever he had asked for in a contract for Paul. IIRC, the contract was just a little over what KOC had proposed to start negotiations. As for whether he would have returned to Utah, who knows? All we know is that DL stated a few days before the GS trade that they were in conversation with Paul's agent. Also, the media reported the FO was divided on whether to bring him back or not. To me, that sounds like he wasn't ready to just hop on the first bus out of town; there was a good chance he'd return of they could agree on contract terms - at least UNTIL DL won the fight to blowup the team. Also of note is that we heard zero rumors linking Paul, DMC or Foye to any other teams before DL closed the door on their return by pulling off the GS trade.

The kerfuffle over hoping the Portland offer wasn't matched came from his uncle, who was a rookie player agent. He was offended the Jazz made him do his job instead of settling on whatever he had asked for in a contract for Paul..

The offer is for four years, said Millsap's representative and uncle, DeAngelo Simmons, after it was signed late Friday night.
"It's a deal Paul wanted for himself, security-wise, financially," said Ara Vartanian, Millsap's other representative.

"It's definitely a situation where he's getting what he should. It's a fair deal. The Jazz had a chance to not let this happen, but unfortunately they didn't value Paul as much as other teams."

The multimillion-dollar bonus might frighten a small-market team like the Jazz, but it amounts to loose change in the pocket of billionaire Blazers owner and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

If Utah is able to match, however, it raises the question of how Millsap would feel about staying with a team that, according to representation, undervalued him.

"The fact that Portland came out and went after Paul so greatly showed how much they want Paul," Vartanian said.

"If Utah matches, there's nothing we can do," he added. "Paul will play hard and do what he has to do. But if we had that offer from the Jazz, it never would have come to this."

Unless he had two uncles, the strong statements made came from his other agent, but it doesn't really matter. If Sap didn't feel disrespected and wanted Utah to match, I somehow doubt his agent would be telling the press the opposite. If there is some kind of proof that it was just his Uncle and not Sap who didn't want us to match, I've never seen it.
-
This wasn't some negotiation tactic for more money. The contract was signed and the message not to match was pretty clear, IMO,. No Uncle agent is going to piss off his cash cow by telling the press the opposite of what his client wants.
-
This whole discussion is moot, anyway. Sap isn't leaving the #1 seed to come to Utah. I'm guessing the dreamers believe he'd come back to come off the bench. He's not starting over Favors or Rudy. They've both earned their ****ing spots.

Last edited: