What's new

Gordon Hayward: Pull Up/Drive Weekly Update

After watching last night's game, and Hayward come into the game down 4, then watching Boston go on a huge run, where Hayward does not attempt a shot until after six minutes have passed and we are down big, I'm not giving him Love or George money.

That being said, it was one game, and there is a looong season ahead of us.

So, Gordon is responsible for every lead or lost lead or getting further behind. And I thought this was a team game. I guess that his 28 points don't count in the jazz total? Does Miami ever lose a lead or fall further behind when Lebron is in?

Hayward had a great game and you are going to criticize him?

Gordo's been an absolute beast on pull ups through the first 2 games this week. 12-15 from 2 and 1-2 from 3 (per NBA.com's player tracking stats).

It's almost like he got wind of this thread or something.

So, Gordon is responsible for every lead or lost lead or getting further behind. And I thought this was a team game. I guess that his 28 points don't count in the jazz total? Does Miami ever lose a lead or fall further behind when Lebron is in?

Hayward had a great game AFTER the Jazz were down 20+ points.

In the Boston game, it was the first time all season where Hayward looked assertive in the 4th quarter. Hopefully it can be the start of a permanent facet of his game.

Of course he is. After telling everyone that Hayward < CJ, he has to try and come up with anything to prevent justification against his claim.

I say this under the assumption he will continue on at a rate somewhere in the ballpark of the last 2 games.
Highly unlikely. Hayward has provided perennial all-star production the last two games (25, 7 and 4.5 on .556/.400/.889 creating a lot of his own shots). I just hope his future play is more like the last 2 games than the first 3.

Of course he is. After telling everyone that Hayward < CJ, he has to try and come up with anything to prevent justification against his claim.

lol. Holy crap. This is hilarious. Please show me where I said CJ was better than Hayward. Please do.

Hayward had a great game AFTER the Jazz were down 20+ points.

Isn't this sort of a good thing, he helped the team almost come back and win from 20+ down. Would you rather have had him disappear and play bad down 20+. He kept fighting.

Last edited:
Isn't this sort of a good thing, he helped the team almost come back and win from 20+ down. Would you rather have had him disappear and play good down 20+. He kept fighting.
That is a good thing. But I'd also like to see him take control like he did in the 4th against Boston when we're up a few points or tied. A performance like that would've helped in the Thunder/Suns/Rockets games...

Isn't this sort of a good thing, he helped the team almost come back and win from 20+ down. Would you rather have had him disappear and play bad down 20+. He kept fighting.

Teams do tend to let up a bit once they get a 20+ point lead. Hard to asses how good someone is by looking at how they play during a blowout loss late in the game.

Teams do tend to let up a bit once they get a 20+ point lead. Hard to asses how good someone is by looking at how they play during a blowout loss late in the game.

Very true, I didn't notice if Boston had their starters still in though. The main part is that Hayward still tried, he fought till the end.

Against one of the worst teams in the NBA.

Week 2 update (OP updated):

Week 2

Games: 4

Drives: 40
Gordo Points on Drives: 25
Team Points on Drives: 51
Team Points per Drive: 1.275

2-pt Pull Ups: 14-24 (.583)
3-pt Pull Ups: 1-3 (.333)
Points per Pull Up: 1.148

Total (through 11/9/13)

Games: 7

Drives: 51
Gordo Points on Drives: 27 (.478 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 60
Team Points per Drive: 1.176

2-pt Pull Ups: 19-44 (.432)
3-pt Pull Ups: 2-8 (.250)
Points per Pull Up: 0.846

​Ranks (through 11/9/13)

8th in Total Drives (Monta Ellis, 80)
12th in Drives per Game (among 53 players with 25+ Total Drives; Monta Ellis, 11.4)
17th in FG% on Drives (among 53 players with 25+ Total Drives; Evan Turner, .731)
14th in Team Points per Drive (among 53 players with 25+ Total Drives; Kyle Lowry, 1.595)

18th in Total Pull Ups per game (Steph Curry, 13.7)
27th in Points per Pull Up (among 49 players averaging 5+ Pull Ups per Game with a minimum of 3 games played; Tony Parker, 1.156)

Gordo came on strong this week (statistically), despite the team's poor play.

Week 2 update (OP updated):

Week 2

Games: 4

Drives: 40
Gordo Points on Drives: 25
Team Points on Drives: 51
Team Points per Drive: 1.275

2-pt Pull Ups: 14-24 (.583)
3-pt Pull Ups: 1-3 (.333)
Points per Pull Up: 1.148

Total (through 11/9/13)

Games: 7

Drives: 51
Gordo Points on Drives: 27 (.478 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 60
Team Points per Drive: 1.176

2-pt Pull Ups: 19-44 (.432)
3-pt Pull Ups: 2-8 (.250)
Points per Pull Up: 0.846

​Ranks (through 11/9/13)

8th in Total Drives (Monta Ellis, 80)
12th in Drives per Game (among 53 players with 25+ Total Drives; Monta Ellis, 11.4)
17th in FG% on Drives (among 53 players with 25+ Total Drives; Evan Turner, .731)
14th in Team Points per Drive (among 53 players with 25+ Total Drives; Kyle Lowry, 1.595)

18th in Total Pull Ups per game (Steph Curry, 13.7)
27th in Points per Pull Up (among 49 players averaging 5+ Pull Ups per Game with a minimum of 3 games played; Tony Parker, 1.156)

Gordo came on strong this week (statistically), despite the team's poor play.

Gordon is ballin!

Way too small of a sample....

Deron Williams is 0 for 10 on pull jumpers

Derrick Rose is 1 for 16 on pull up jumpers

So Hayward better than Rose & Dwill ? :)

Deron Williams is starting this year off BAD. He's playing basically like he just blew candles out on his 35th birthday.

lol. Holy crap. This is hilarious. Please show me where I said CJ was better than Hayward. Please do.

CJ has a better PER than Hayward so far this season - 23.83 vs 20.28. In fact CJ is 1st among shooting guards so far this season.

Deron Williams is starting this year off BAD. He's playing basically like he just blew candles out on his 35th birthday.

Deron hasn't really done all that great since he left the Jazz anyway.

CJ has a better PER than Hayward so far this season - 23.83 vs 20.28. In fact CJ is 1st among shooting guards so far this season.

I did bring that up. I said that so far this year, CJ is playing better. I said that I would not give Hayward over 10 million. I also said that if my options were CJ at 4 per or Hayward at 12 per, I'd take CJ.

Dala interpreted that to mean that I think CJ is better than Hayward.