Gordo Points on Drives: 47 (.432 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 113
Team Points per Drive: 1.202

2-pt Pull Ups: 32-83 (.386)
3-pt Pull Ups: 3-15 (.200)
Points per Pull Up: 0.745

​Ranks

12th in Total Drives (Monta Ellis, 153)
19th in Drives per Game (among players with 7+ Games Played; Monta Ellis, 10.9)
33rd in FG% on Drives (among 52 players with 50+ Total Drives; LeBron James, .688)
18th in Team Points per Drive (among 52 players with 50+ Total Drives; Reggie Jackson, 1.383)

23rd in Total Pull Ups per game (Steph Curry, 13.8)
33rd in Points per Pull Up (among 49 players averaging 5+ Pull Ups per Game with a minimum of 7 games played; Kevin Durant, 1.08)

Even if this is true, how does it weaken my point? Paul George progressed from being an average defender in college to the All-NBA first team-- and if you think he could have had the same progression with a coach like Mike D'Antoni, then you are mistaken.

Careful, you might derail GVCs current agenda.

Gordon is better scoring off the ball while Turner has always been an on-ball player. If Gordon is better playing off the ball but worse on it, then why should he obviously get more money/attention?

I'm all about tertiary (is this word being used right?) scoring, but you can get that for less than the max (or close). I still say a good rule of thumb is that if you're a perimeter player making 8-digits, you'd better be pretty damn effective at GETTING your team buckets, not just making them.

Tertiary scoring in an offense can be your primary weapon even though it requires some semblance of first and second option structure. Allen, Peja, Korver, & Reggie were all off-ball, primary-tertiary hybrids. Gordon overall is somewhere between Peja-Korver and Reggie-Allen, with way better d than Peja and potentially better d than Korver, and significantly better driving and passing abilities than both.

Gordon is not being used correctly, we all know this. He's being given the opportunity to prove his weaknesses are going away (and failing miserably at proving that). His off-ball strengths were already well known.

I'm all about tertiary (is this word being used right?) scoring, but you can get that for less than the max (or close). I still say a good rule of thumb is that if you're a perimeter player making 8-digits, you'd better be pretty damn effective at GETTING your team buckets, not just making them.

Primary-tertiary players don't need to get their team buckets any more than primary inside post players do, but they do have to be as good as a typical primary option is at scoring. Hayward has never looked good to me off screen, and Corbin has eliminated double pin down screen (floppy-loop i.e. Harpring Curl) from the offense because of how bad his shooting can be.

I look at the Enigma Hayward as Harpring light on inside scoring, reading the defense, playing defense, and catch-and-shoot, but better at driving and getting to the line. Harpring was a 3-4 option that fans hated for his contract.

Week 5

Games: 4

Drives: 26
Gordo Points on Drives: 9
Team Points on Drives: 21
Team Points per Drive: 0.808

2-pt Pull Ups: 4-16 (.250)
3-pt Pull Ups: 0-3 (.000)
Points per Pull Up: 0.421

Total (through 11/30/13)

Games: 18

Drives: 120 (6.7 Drives per Game)
Gordo Points on Drives: 56 (.380 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 134
Team Points per Drive: 1.117

2-pt Pull Ups: 36-99 (.364)
3-pt Pull Ups: 3-18 (.167)
Points per Pull Up: 0.692

​Ranks

10th in Total Drives (Monta Ellis, 189)
22nd in Drives per Game (minimum 9 games played; Ty Lawson, 10.7)
45th in FG% on Drives (among 54 players with 60+ Total Drives; LeBron James, .667)
34th in Team Points per Drive (among 54 players with 60+ Total Drives; Steve Blake, 1.385)

30th in Total Pull Ups per game (minimum 9 games played; Steph Curry, 14.2)
39th in Points per Pull Up (among 49 players averaging 5+ Pull Ups per Game with a minimum of 9 games played; Eric Bledsoe, 1.06)

Last edited:
For comparison's sake, Trey's numbers:

Games: 6

Drives: 30 (5.0 Drives per Game)
Trey Points on Drives: 16 (.438 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 35
Team Points per Drive: 1.167

2-pt Pull Ups: 11-28 (.393)
3-pt Pull Ups: 4-9 (.444)
Points per Pull Up: 0.919

If I lower the restrictions on games, their respective rankings look like this:

FG% on Drives: Gordo, 45th; Trey, 32nd (of 55 players averaging 5+ Drives per Game)
Team Points per Drive: Gordo, 34th; Trey, 26th (of 55 players averaging 5+ Drives per Game)

Points per Pull Up: Gordo, 40th; Trey, 11th (of 51 players averaging 5+ Total Pull Ups per Game)

Hayward has no confidence in his shot. He had a problem with one of his chins, Is he hurt, or is this who he is?

Week 5

Games: 4

Drives: 14
Gordo Points on Drives: 9
Team Points on Drives: 12
Team Points per Drive: 0.857

2-pt Pull Ups: 6-20 (.300)
3-pt Pull Ups: 0-2 (.000)
Points per Pull Up: 0.545

Total (through 12/7/13)

Games: 22

Drives: 134 (6.1 Drives per Game)
Gordo Points on Drives: 65 (.382 FG%)
Team Points on Drives: 146
Team Points per Drive: 1.090

2-pt Pull Ups: 42-119 (.353)
3-pt Pull Ups: 3-20 (.150)
Points per Pull Up: 0.669

​Ranks

13th in Total Drives (Monta Ellis, 216)
28th in Drives per Game (minimum 11 games played; Ty Lawson, 11.1)
44th in FG% on Drives (among 53 players with 70+ Total Drives; Jeremy Lin, .654)
39th in Team Points per Drive (among 53 players with 70+ Total Drives; Evan Turner, 1.406)

32nd in Total Pull Ups per game (minimum 11 games played; Steph Curry, 14.3)
47th in Points per Pull Up (among 53 players averaging 4.7+ Pull Ups per Game with a minimum of 11 games played; Kevin Durant, 0.993)

Week 2 is really starting to look like an outlier. The Gordo on-ball experiment has been a total failure to date.

It be interesting to add "points per PnR" to this discussion. He seems to do well in the PnR, but if I understand you, then PnR outcomes are included one of these two categories (pull up & drive).

Week 2 is really starting to look like an outlier. The Gordo on-ball experiment has been a total failure to date.

"To date" is a key phrase there. Time to learn and get better, but I am not expecting him to be a true 1. Maybe a good 2.

Right now it seems to me that Trey and Gordo have not melded well yet, it is one of the other having the ball and doing his thing.

"To date" is a key phrase there. Time to learn and get better, but I am not expecting him to be a true 1. Maybe a good 2.

Right now it seems to me that Trey and Gordo have not melded well yet, it is one of the other having the ball and doing his thing.

I'm hoping to see Gordon in more spot-up situations. That'd be evidence of them helping each other.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];719099 said:
It be interesting to add "points per PnR" to this discussion. He seems to do well in the PnR, but if I understand you, then PnR outcomes are included one of these two categories (pull up & drive).

Circumstantial -- he's 191st in points per touch and since this is the Jazz' main play, I don't think it's very high.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];719143 said:
I'm still interested.

I'm sorry I'm not Locke or God bro. I did the best I could without watching every single Al Jefferson post up on the Minnesota last season.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];719099 said:
Some/most pick and rolls should be included in drives, as they're defined as "any touch that starts at least 20 feet of the hoop and is dribbled within 10 feet of the hoop, excluding fast breaks."

mysynergysports.com has his PPP when he shoots out of pick and rolls (separated from isos...which are pretty rare for Gordo and the Jazz): 0.56 PPP.

If Gordo doesn't figure this out by the trade deadline, and the Jazz FO think he'll get a lucrative offer sheet, it might be best to trade Gordo.