What's new

Great quotes from Donovan Mitchell workout

bigmike

Donovan Mitchell discusses decision to work out: The most intriguing player to work out on Saturday was Louisville sophomore guard Donovan Mitchell, as many are projecting he’ll be off the board by the time the Jazz’s first pick comes at No. 24.

So why did the combo guard come to Salt Lake City?

“I wanted to work out for the Jazz,” Mitchell said. “I love the organization. Talked to my agent, and he said he loved the people, the group.”

Mitchell specifically noted how Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey jokingly reminded him of a Nov. 25 game last season between the Cardinals and the Baylor Bears, the squad Lindsey’s son Jake plays for.

In that game, the Bears rallied from a 22-point deficit to win by three, and Lindsey had two steals in the second half. Jake Lindsey was also at Zions Bank Basketball Center on Saturday.

“Mr. Lindsey’s a great guy,” Mitchell said, recalling the game. “There’s just that type of camaraderie is something that I like … even when they’re having the higher-ups interact with the players, it’s just a lot of fun. You don’t hear anything negative about the Jazz.”

Sounds like word is getting out that SLC is a great place to play basketball these days. Not sure how much interest we would have in moving up for a 6'3" SG (unless we're set on moving on from Burks), but I like the thought of drafting a kid who knows he wants to be here.

Donovan Mitchell discusses decision to work out: The most intriguing player to work out on Saturday was Louisville sophomore guard Donovan Mitchell, as many are projecting he’ll be off the board by the time the Jazz’s first pick comes at No. 24.

So why did the combo guard come to Salt Lake City?

“I wanted to work out for the Jazz,” Mitchell said. “I love the organization. Talked to my agent, and he said he loved the people, the group.”

Mitchell specifically noted how Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey jokingly reminded him of a Nov. 25 game last season between the Cardinals and the Baylor Bears, the squad Lindsey’s son Jake plays for.

In that game, the Bears rallied from a 22-point deficit to win by three, and Lindsey had two steals in the second half. Jake Lindsey was also at Zions Bank Basketball Center on Saturday.

“Mr. Lindsey’s a great guy,” Mitchell said, recalling the game. “There’s just that type of camaraderie is something that I like … even when they’re having the higher-ups interact with the players, it’s just a lot of fun. You don’t hear anything negative about the Jazz.”

Sounds like word is getting out that SLC is a great place to play basketball these days. Not sure how much interest we would have in moving up for a 6'3" SG (unless we're set on moving on from Burks), but I like the thought of drafting a kid who knows he wants to be here.

I looked up his agent. Looks like it's Ty Sullivan. Here's his client list: https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/Ty-Sullivan/218

Kris Dunn
Mustapha Farrakhan
Ryan Gomes
Delroy James
Donovan Mitchell
Elfrid Payton
T.J. Warren

I don't recall any of them having much contact with the Jazz, so it's interesting that he had that much respect for the Jazz as an organization even without much direct contact.

He also called Hayward one of the most underrated players. His PR trainer deserves a gold medal

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Mitchell's father (also Donovan) is the Director of Community Relations and Player Engagement with the NY Mets (with several years of minor league experience previously). So Jr. probably comes by the good PR vibes pretty naturally.

I looked up his agent. Looks like it's Ty Sullivan. Here's his client list: https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/Ty-Sullivan/218

Kris Dunn
Mustapha Farrakhan
Ryan Gomes
Delroy James
Donovan Mitchell
Elfrid Payton
T.J. Warren

I don't recall any of them having much contact with the Jazz, so it's interesting that he had that much respect for the Jazz as an organization even without much direct contact.

Agents work in agencies, so there is a pretty large amount of connections that could be possible.

He's 6'3" but has a 6'10" wingspan, and the highest no-step vertical in the draft at 361/2 inches.

Which would really seem to fit in with Dennis Lindsey's penchant for athletic length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgnRGlWxLlE

I don't know how the offense would run, but I can imagine some great things on defense with Mitchel, Dante, Gobert and company.

Mitchell is a short SG who can't shoot. He's being overrated due to the wingspan. Trey Burke had a big wingspan yet seemed to play shorter than his height.

Perhaps the most overrated player in the draft.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Lmao that you are attempting to draw that connection

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, I don't see Trey Burke's having a 6'5 wingspan being a huge gift. It's kind of the necessary amount for PG's these days. George Hill's is 6'9" and 6'10 is borderline Pterodactyl.

I would be more worried about the shooting if he were going to be coached by Tyrone Corbin - but Quin and his staff seem to be great at development. They are probably a large part of the reason he worked out for us.

I don't see the Trey Burke comparison AT ALL, they are very different players.

Mitchell is a short SG who can't shoot. He's being overrated due to the wingspan. Trey Burke had a big wingspan yet seemed to play shorter than his height.

Perhaps the most overrated player in the draft.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
Horrible comparison. Donovan Mitchell's athleticism is off the scale compared to Trey Burke. I would compare him more as a slightly bigger/longer version of Eric Bledsoe.

I haven't watched any games of his, so I can't comment on that, but stats/measurements-wise he fits right as a kind of blend between George Hill, Avery Bradley, and Victor Oladipo. He has the longest wingspan of the group, though the shortest vertical reach (not much difference on this). He's exactly the same height as George Hill. He's not as good a 3-pt shooter as George Hill was at this stage, but he's the best FT shooter in the group. As a jumper, he fits right in with Oladipo at the top of the group; as he does with his weight.

George Hill averaged slightly more assists to this point of his career, though Hill's higher average here (and as a scorer) might be due to playing at a small-time program.

So the questions really seem to be: can he be as good a defender as these others (and he seems to at least have the potential to hang with them in this area), and can he, like Hill, learn to become a competent floor leader, if not a traditional high-assist PG?

Answers to the last one, particularly, will probably determine both his draft position and his NBA success.

Mitchell is one of the few with star potential in the 15-30 range. He might fall down to 20 but not 24. We should definitely consider trading up, if we wont give that much assets.

I don't agree with the comparison at all but I do agree that he is overrated.

Everyone on this board and even DX had him around the 20-25 range until the combine.

So.. because he measured out well and tested well he deserves to jump 10 spots into the lottery? He's still a 6'3 combo-tweener guard.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Probably 6 from the measurements. 4 from good interviews.

I don't agree with the comparison at all but I do agree that he is overrated.

Everyone on this board and even DX had him around the 20-25 range until the combine.

So.. because he measured out well and tested well he deserves to jump 10 spots into the lottery? He's still a 6'3 combo-tweener guard.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Speak for yourself, plenty of people, including me, had him high.

Mitchell is one of the few with star potential in the 15-30 range. He might fall down to 20 but not 24. We should definitely consider trading up, if we wont give that much assets.

He is in the 10-19 range, no way he gets past 19.

I think Mitchell has a higher chance at jumping the top 9 than falling out of the teens. Could definitely see him being taken over Markkanen or Frank N.