Hamstring help!

MilesDeep

Definitely no heat if it's been less than 48-72 hours since initial injury. Cold/compression every two hours for twenty minutes for the first 24/48 hours produces incredible results despite obvious inconvenience. Complete rest from a lifting/muscular exertion program for the lower body for at least two days. Flexibility tests to help determine which part of your musculoskeletal system is likely responsible for your problem. Typically hamstring issues originate from a chronic imbalance of strength (quads/hamstrings) or limited flexiblity/tightness in your posterior chain (low back/gluteus/psoas/hip flexors). Identifying the problem and correcting it should be the goal. Cycling is an excellent way to get work in (massive calorie expenditure) while limiting excessive strain on the hamstrings (correct saddle height is critical). One important caveat to this is make sure you do not attach yourself to the pedals (clip in). Because of the involvement of the hammies in everyday living/locomotion, understand this is not going to fix immediately. If there is actual physical deformation, a real doctor with actual knowledge in muscular injuries/biomechanics should be consulted.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Lots of great posts, thanks guys.

I think I will just try to rest it as much as possible and on leg day (tomorrow) I will just do calf's and quads and more shoulders than normal (I combine back and biceps, chest and triceps which I'm doing today, and legs and shoulders) and try to let it heal.

It's just hard not to work out hard when you are in a groove and doing good and don't want to lose the gains you feel you are making.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Wes Mantooth

I wouldn’t do anything on leg or upper body day. I’d just take a week off altogether. Then maybe a week of just upper. Then rehab. But only you know the severity of it.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I wouldn’t do anything on leg or upper body day. I’d just take a week off altogether. Then maybe a week of just upper. Then rehab. But only you know the severity of it.
I did chest and triceps today and it was ok with the exception of decline bench press. That one hurt the hamstring a bit.

MVP

I had my fare share of hamstring injuries and the only thing what really helped to get back to exercising and running fastest was active release done by my chiropractor. Principle is very simple... after you strain or tear muscle it forms a scar. Active release helps to break done the scar tissue and restore muscle function. Long time ago Soviet school of thinking was to inject the scar with alcohol and local anethestic to achieve similar effect. I had it done when I was 18, damn it made me drunk for half the day lol.
Anyway... there is tons of info on active release, check it out.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I had my fare share of hamstring injuries and the only thing what really helped to get back to exercising and running fastest was active release done by my chiropractor. Principle is very simple... after you strain or tear muscle it forms a scar. Active release helps to break done the scar tissue and restore muscle function. Long time ago Soviet school of thinking was to inject the scar with alcohol and local anethestic to achieve similar effect. I had it done when I was 18, damn it made me drunk for half the day lol.
Anyway... there is tons of info on active release, check it out.
Thanks

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Went to the gym today for legs and shoulders day.
Didn't do any legs at all. Just did shoulders and abs and went home a little early.

What did you do today Log?