What's new

Hardy Says Collins is a 5

Sure... run it a few more times or whatever. BUT if the floor isn't spaced I don't see teams having a real hard time with it. If the ballhandler isn't a threat to shoot off the dribble you can drop the big or just have the guard duck under the pick. Maybe its better than what they are running.
why are you doing this to yourself?

If your answer is anything other than "to entertain NAOS", then I'll be confused.

When I pictured John Collins with this team, I pictured us using him in what was his best role is and the reason why he got $100 mil. When he's at the 5 and Kessler is off the court, I think the team gains more if he's playing in Kessler's role rather than if he's spacing out. His percentage of shots at the rim does jump up quite a bit when Kessler is off (and so does the overall offense), but I think we can push it even further. For example, KO has a much larger shift towards the basket when Kessler if off the court than Collins. His percentage of attempts at the rim almost doubles. Why can we not have the same shift with Collins? I understand that our ballhandlers are not necessarily the best passers, but that is more reason to have a better target around the hoop.

Anybody else curious how much Hardy was consulted on the acquisition of Collins? I assumed he was a big part of the conversation, but the vibe I get from Will is DA kind of said "Here's your new PF, make it work."

I've been avalanched with work for the last few weeks, so my attention has been diverted from the Jazz.
I bet life would be so much better if there was more attention paid to the Jazz.

Anybody else curious how much Hardy was consulted on the acquisition of Collins? I assumed he was a big part of the conversation, but the vibe I get from Will is DA kind of said "Here's your new PF, make it work."
DA has already come out and said that his job is to get talent and that he’s not too concerned about fit and that with his job being talent, it’s on the coaching staff and players to figure the rest out.

DA has already come out and said that his job is to get talent and that he’s not too concerned about fit and that with his job being talent, it’s on the coaching staff and players to figure the rest out.
I missed that. If true, that is an extremely antiquated and ****** model of management.

I missed that. If true, that is an extremely antiquated and ****** model of management.

Fit matters when you're a good team trying to take the next step. For a team like the Jazz, I think it makes sense to just acquire talent and worry about fit later.

Fit matters when you're a good team trying to take the next step. For a team like the Jazz, I think it makes sense to just acquire talent and worry about fit later.
Yeah, but you also need to be a little selective about what “acquiring talent” means. For instance, John Collins, THT, and soon-to-be Zach LaVine.

Yeah, but you also need to be a little selective about what “acquiring talent” means. For instance, John Collins, THT, and soon-to-be Zach LaVine.

THT was a good gamble. Might still be, I'm not sure. It's only 11m a year, so it's not like he's breaking the bank. Collins was had for free, and the Jazz are not going anywhere any time soon. He'll be worth something as an expiring at a point where it could matter, or the Jazz might be able to offload him for free (he's not terrible). Lavine is just speculation.

A couple of things I have seen sexton do well are he cuts without the ball and if his teammate finds him and delivers a pass then he finishes well.

He also has been catching and shooting from deep well.

Also plays a little bully ball sometimes (despite his diminutive stature) in a semi post kinda way and knocks down baby hook/floater type shots

And he is good at getting into the mid range and knocking down shots.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
I mean he's somewhat decent in transition. . .

There's not a high bar to clear in the first place, and whatever these "other things" are, they are also effected by poor spacing.
I mean they are doing it some. It’s not like Hardy is unaware of the pick and roll.

I mean he's somewhat decent in transition. . .
Ya I thought the post I quoted had mentioned that.
Either way I figured that's pretty obvious and didn't need to mention it.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I think some of his dropoff can be attributed to external factors, but I am really disappointed in JC's defense this season. One of the reasons I was more optimistic about him is because despite his offensive role falling off, he did see progress as a defender over time in ATL. I think he got a lot tougher and competitive on that end, and this was shown in the numbers as well. In the playoffs in particular, he matched up with a lot of top level players. It didn't always go well, but he was a decent ish physical matchup against bigs like Bam and Randle as well as physical wings like Brown. Again, he wasn't great, but he was like a B level defender against a range of different players. That in addition to his rebounding made him a defensive asset.

This year, he just looks completely lost and doesn't even seem to try. Perhaps that's just Hardy's wack *** system, but I think he's looked really bad as an individual. We are so much worse with him (both ends) on the court. Walker Kessler isn't having a great year, but if we're playing one or the other, Kessler is clearly the superior option right now.

When Hardy says Collins is a 5, he is definitely talking 100% offense. Fans get confused with 1-5 labels but Hardy means small ball center on offense here.

Defensively Collins is best at being a weakside help defender or perimeter defender against forwards or bigger guards.

That isnt an ideal combination.

I think some of his dropoff can be attributed to external factors, but I am really disappointed in JC's defense this season. One of the reasons I was more optimistic about him is because despite his offensive role falling off, he did see progress as a defender over time in ATL. I think he got a lot tougher and competitive on that end, and this was shown in the numbers as well. In the playoffs in particular, he matched up with a lot of top level players. It didn't always go well, but he was a decent ish physical matchup against bigs like Bam and Randle as well as physical wings like Brown. Again, he wasn't great, but he was like a B level defender against a range of different players. That in addition to his rebounding made him a defensive asset.

This year, he just looks completely lost and doesn't even seem to try. Perhaps that's just Hardy's wack *** system, but I think he's looked really bad as an individual. We are so much worse with him (both ends) on the court. Walker Kessler isn't having a great year, but if we're playing one or the other, Kessler is clearly the superior option right now.
That’s not true. You overdoing it, piling it on way too much there.