What's new

Have we made the largest jump ever?

We also have a much easier schedule to end the season. I really hope we continue playing like the way we are on this current win streak plus the pre-all star break streak. But the doubter in me questions if our actual average is like the way we played in our latest loss to the Portland Trailblazers.
A lot more evidence to suggest that the wins are more indicative of where they’re at. The Jazz have been beating some pretty solid competition during that stretch also. Gobert vs. no Gobert is clearly the biggest factor between winning and losing.

I was foolishly rooting for the tank when we were within striking distance of the worst records in the league. And I was advocating for blowing up the team except for Rudy, Donovan and Jingles. Quin seemed eerily calm at that point.

I don't know. The second one is last game of the year for warriors. I think they are resting for it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using JazzFanz mobile app
I doubt they rest since around that time will be when there team are all returned from their injuries. They will probably want some games to get in shape and in tune before the playoffs.

I don't know. The second one is last game of the year for warriors. I think they are resting for it.

Sent from my SM-J727T using JazzFanz mobile app
I doubt they rest since around that time will be when there team are all returned from their injuries. They will probably want some games to get in shape and in tune before the playoffs.

I was foolishly rooting for the tank when we were within striking distance of the worst records in the league. And I was advocating for blowing up the team except for Rudy, Donovan and Jingles. Quin seemed eerily calm at that point.
I'm still ultimately there (except + Crowder).

Go into 2019 free agency with some Bird Rights, and if you get a bite from anyone (Kawhi, Butler, whoever), you renounce whoever you prefer in order to make the signing. If that doesn't work, you still have Bird Rights. Mirotic fits in with this, it's also why I wouldn't mind overpaying Favors on a 1ish year deal if Mirotic doesn't end up here.

But I'm not giving up a chance to swing at a 2019 max slot for almost anything remotely feasible.

Go into 2019 free agency with some Bird Rights, and if you get a bite from anyone (Kawhi, Butler, whoever), you renounce whoever you prefer in order to make the signing. If that doesn't work, you still have Bird Rights. Mirotic fits in with this, it's also why I wouldn't mind overpaying Favors on a 1ish year deal if Mirotic doesn't end up here.

But I'm not giving up a chance to swing at a 2019 max slot for almost anything remotely feasible.

As long as we have the room to Max DM (in all likelihood, he'll be 100% worth it), I'm game for 2019.

Yeah, we are in a great position. But why would Favors take a one year deal?

As long as we have the room to Max DM (in all likelihood, he'll be 100% worth it), I'm game for 2019.
That's merely a question of potential luxury tax ramifications, not a question of what is allowed. They would also be in a good position with respect to the LT.

I love this team and all the kumbaya-edness of everything, but top-flight talent has always been the best determinant of championship caliber, and the Jazz are AT LEAST one player away.

If you have Mitchell, Kawhi, and Gobert, you can figure out the rest. But that team would also feature Ingles, Crowder, and Royce O'Neal (hopefully he's a good player).

If Exum is good, great. Favors is real good, but not really important in any scenario. Rubio is fun and seems to have improved. But none of those players gives me a second of pause if they have to be let go in order to chase a cornerstone to contention.

Last edited:
How are you defining jump? There have certainly been better win streaks than Utah's. I dont think Utah was ever that bad, it was just because of injuries.

There were people who thought Utah could be a 50 win team this year.

Nobody of consequence was saying this. Nobody. Right after we lost Hayward and before we knew what we had in Mitchell nobody had us making the playoffs, including a big chunk of people on this site.

What people are saying above is untrue. There was plenty of talk about this year's team being comparable to last year's, and plenty of people expected the Jazz to make the playoffs before the season started. You guys just have short memories.

What people are saying above is untrue. There was plenty of talk about this year's team being comparable to last year's, and plenty of people expected the Jazz to make the playoffs before the season started. You guys just have short memories.

Major correction: My original response was completely wrong, sorry, I screwed the pooch on pulling data.

Correction: 83% of board has us 6th or higher. I bow down to the greatness that is Siro.

Wow, we are total homers (self-included)

Last edited:
I don't think I ever made any prediction. I honestly had no idea where we'd end up.

Yes. And the most amazing part which is unmentioned in this thread is the Jazz went from being pathetic on the road to turning out around and beating great teams on the road consistently.

Being in the playoffs =/= 50 win team.

I don't recall many (any?) people predicting greater than 50 wins. But, whatever.