What's new

Hayward Finally doing well with a game winning performance against T-Wolves

I agree. Still too early to give up on him.
Almost all ten players taken after him are doing very little or have been hurt.
Orton is out. He was one some were interested in.

Sorry, if I have to bring people down to earth, but Hayward's performance was hardly earth-shattering. Five points and his one FG being a dunk on a breakaway. That isn't exactly a sign of a future All-Star, or even a solid role player. We all know he's a good passer and can play acceptable defense, but he's a 2-guard and he has yet to show that he can be a productive scorer. Yes, we need to give him time and this was a step in the right direction but let's not get too excited about 12 minutes of passable play.

Sorry, if I have to bring people down to earth, but Hayward's performance was hardly earth-shattering. Five points and his one FG being a dunk on a breakaway. That isn't exactly a sign of a future All-Star, or even a solid role player. We all know he's a good passer and can play acceptable defense, but he's a 2-guard and he has yet to show that he can be a productive scorer. Yes, we need to give him time and this was a step in the right direction but let's not get too excited about 12 minutes of passable play.

Debbie_Downer.jpg

Write is right.

Write is wrong. No one here is claiming him to be an all star from his 12 minutes +17 performance. We are fans so of course we are optimistic when our lottery pick has a decent game. Leave is to a sociopath to create a web of nonsense to support whatever agenda he has.

No one said anything about him becoming a future all-star. ?? It's been 30 games and we haven't seen him do much so it's nice to see him get an easy bucket, but more importantly a game-sealer. Take it easy, man. No one is claiming anything more than that.

Nah. Dude needs to do a lot more to be given the "doing well" treatment. I got faith in him though.

My comment has no hidden agenda ... like I said we need more time to determine if he's going to be a keeper, but also like most everyone here agrees, this is a good sign, but not something we should become giddy about.

My comment has no hidden agenda ... like I said we need more time to determine if he's going to be a keeper, but also like most everyone here agrees, this is a good sign, but not something we should become giddy about.

So, what you are saying is that you've really made a key discovery: one performance does not a player make.

Brilliant analysis.

Nah. Dude needs to do a lot more to be given the "doing well" treatment. I got faith in him though.

I wonder why it's so hard for some people to give the "doing well" treatment. He did well. Now let's hope he builds on it. You have to feel good for the guy based on that game... unless for some reason you'd prefer to see him fail.

I think we're going to see flashes of excellence wrapped around long stretches of mediocrity from Hayward for at least the next year to year and a half - it's impossible to make a judgment now; so just enjoy when he plays well and hope he continues move forward. I think that's all you can reasonably ask.

I will say the lock-out will hurt this kid big time. If next season is wiped out he may be replaying his rookies season all over again in 2011-12

I hope the best for Hayward. He seems like a great kid with tons of potential.

I really hope I am incorrect and way off base but what concerns me is DWill. I don't think DWill wants anything to do with Hayward. In a recent game DWill had the ball with a few seconds left on the clock, instead of passing out to a wide open Hayward, he decided to take a turn around, fade away, contested shot that didn't go in. This is one example of many where Hayward is not trusted with the ball and the offense is hindered because DWill refuses to pass the ball to Hayward.

On the other hand, DWill was the first one off the bench when Hayward had his big dunk a couple weeks ago so I may be way wrong on this. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Write is wrong. No one here is claiming him to be an all star from his 12 minutes +17 performance. We are fans so of course we are optimistic when our lottery pick has a decent game. Leave is to a sociopath to create a web of nonsense to support whatever agenda he has.

Did you just refer to write4u as a sociopath?

Nah. Dude needs to do a lot more to be given the "doing well" treatment.

This.

A few more games of performances with a better contribution than this TWolves (seriously, he didn't do that much), and I might start considering him to be less of a waste of space on our roster.

I hope the best for Hayward. He seems like a great kid with tons of potential.

I really hope I am incorrect and way off base but what concerns me is DWill. I don't think DWill wants anything to do with Hayward. In a recent game DWill had the ball with a few seconds left on the clock, instead of passing out to a wide open Hayward, he decided to take a turn around, fade away, contested shot that didn't go in. This is one example of many where Hayward is not trusted with the ball and the offense is hindered because DWill refuses to pass the ball to Hayward.

On the other hand, DWill was the first one off the bench when Hayward had his big dunk a couple weeks ago so I may be way wrong on this. I sure hope I'm wrong.

I think we can all agree that players are reluctant to pass the ball to an open Hayward for a three point shot at the moment, not just DWill but Big Al as well. Hayward will need to sink some 3s to gain back that trust.

However, this game showed that Hayward can be effective not only as a shooter but as a play maker, assisting on 3 key buckets down the stretch. He'll also contribute on the board, play solid defense, make good decisions and finish above the rim if needed.

Also a solid FT shooter down the stretch..

did you watch the game?

or just the boxscore?

It's a good start, but he has a ways to go.
I'm with the others who have already said this.

It's not time to get too high or low on him.

For those who are crying for Redick, it's taken him five years to get to this point where he is coveted. Many said he did not have NBA talent. Too small, too slow. It appeared he would be cut a couple times early in his career. His stats looked similar to Hayward in his first season. So it may take a while for Hayward to pay off, but he's a legit 6' 8" player who could add strength and quickness over time. He's only 20. Jazz may have to give up too much to get Redick also.

Last edited: