What's new

Hayward has 34.5 inch vertical!

What was the point of you posting your garbage twice?

I think we're going to need to agree to disagree here.

Hayward is an average athlete. The stats and measurements show it to be so.

Evan Turner is a terrible comparison as his ballhandling, shooting, and scoring skills are far greater than Hayward's. Even now, I doubt Turner turns out to be better than Rip Hamilton or Brandon Roy. A very good player, but not a franchise player.

As far as trusting the experts, I'd rather not. They also declared Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder a great draft for us. So why only trust in them now? Oh yeah, because a few agree w/you. Nice.

As far as defense Hayward not doubling as much as another big man... Wow... Have you ever seen defense? How often did you see Memo, Millsap, Or Boozer double in the post as opposed to a wing, like CJ, Brewer, AK, Korver, Harpring, and Matthews? typically, the 4 and 5 don't double to help each other. It's the 2 or 3 that double down low leaving themselves at a slight disadvantage to defend the 3 point line but allowing them to have better angles to double against the post. In other words, your reasoning for Hayward needing a smaller wingspan because he won't double as much down low as Millsap is ridiculous at best. It also ignores the advantages offensively that a longer winspan would give.

Anyway, thanks for taking cheap shots at me. I love it how you criticized me for taking a day off to celebrate a great day for our country. That was awesome. Please, take another 30 minutes to post your garbage TWICE asking me to refute it. Until next time!

Wow, defensive are we? Even got offended about the Holiday comment. Proof it was true I guess. For the record, I wasn't criticizing you for observing the Holiday, but rather for hiding behind it. Trust me, I observed the Holiday too. But I also know that if you're already reading Jazz bball posts on the Holiday anyway, and if you take 5 mins to read a post you'll probably take 5 1/2 to finish it. I don't even care if you read my posts, just don't be a coward about it.

Still you haven't addressed my comparisons in my first rebuttal post (with regard to hand size, agility, sprint times, etc.). And I doubt you will attempt to, because you have no way to refute the #'s and the comparisons. Not to mention that it makes your first 20 posts completely obsolete. As far as my "garbage posts", I suppose I have the patience to keep posting mine as long as you keep up your diarrhea of the mouth. Have you ever actually played basketball? Timing and IQ are just as important in help defense as having monkey arms is. You look at a players physical tools way too much. I was referring to the primary positions Hayward would be guarding, not his help defense. But even on help defense, it won't matter. He had 2 steals off his man and a help defense block in his first Summer League game, not because he has long arms but because he's smart, has good timing, and he's still freakin 6 foot 8 for crying out loud. A 6 foot 8 wingspan is not "alligator arms", cmon...don't be a tool. But as long as you're bringing up other Jazz (or ex-Jazz) players, Brewer is a perfect comparison. Because although he gets steals with his long arms, he also gets burned for not playing "smart defense". Korver, as another comparison, plays much smarter defense, but isn't fast enough to be terribly effective. Hayward is much bigger and taller (and faster) than Korver and seems to be just as smart. He'll probably play the same position as KK (giving him an advantage). Further, he will stay in front of his man because he has similar anticipation, shiftiness and timing to Brewer (though not the insane length). In the end, he won't be AK, but he'll be fine on defense. I can't believe you actually think I was saying (in your words) "Hayward needs a smaller wingspan". Obviously I'd take a bigger wingspan, all else considered. I just happen to believe he has other abilities that will make up for his "just good" (not great) wingspan. Oh and by the way, just because Booz and Memo don't play help defense, doesn't mean they're not supposed to. If our bigs rotated like Boston, our wings wouldn't be so exposed. I'd take undersized guys like Milsap and Hayward over Memo and Booz any day. It's about heart and effort, not wingspan.

As to trusting the experts, I'm just glad they don't trust you. It's one thing if some experts say it's a good pick and he'll be good, but when "all" of them say it...it kinda holds some weight. Nobody raved about Kirk Snyder or Humphries the way they do about Hayward, and if anything, with Hayward chosen at 9 he should have been more scrutinized. But he wasn't. Only by Jazz fans who didn't want to see any more white guys, no matter how good he might be.

By the way, I never claimed Hayward was the best athlete all around in the draft. Or even a top flight athlete. Had you read my second post, you'd have learned that I was surprised to see that in a few of the categories he compared favorably to some of the top athletes. Not even my first post claimed he was the best, just that he ought to be given more credit by some of the haters (which you clearly are one).

The difference between guys like you, and guys like me, is that I admit when I'm wrong. I admitted I neglected the wingspan measurement in my 2nd post. In fact, after reading your responses to my very 1st post, I believed you were probably right (because you stated them so emphatically, and everyone seemed to agree with you). I was actually planning to concede all the way around, until I actually went back to check your comparisons. When I found just as many valid comparisons contrary to yours, and which totally refuted your point, obviously I couldn't concede those.

So you're welcome for the cheap shots. I thank you for your jabs at me as well (since the beginning).

Success-Kid-INTERNET-SERIOUS-BUSINESS-300x300.jpg

That should just tell you how great of an athlete Cousins is that he can be so overweight and still put up strong athletic number for a center.

Closet UK fan.

Side note: Wow. How full of fails is this thread?

Well well my old thread. I have to gloat at least a little and say I told you so. So, I told you so. Hopefully Gordy boy will keep it up this year and keep proving me right.

Well well my old thread. I have to gloat at least a little and say I told you so. So, I told you so. Hopefully Gordy boy will keep it up this year and keep proving me right.

Because its all about you, right?

Wow. How full of fails is this thread?

I dunno, at least some of us got it right:

And BeanClown has a 3" wee wee, who cares?

Others... maybe not so much.

max vert is only one piece of the puzzle, and if you've ever watched hayward play, you know that he's not overwhelming anybody with his athleticism. i call him a "crafty" scorer, meaning he gets his points by being creative around the basket and being guarded by guys who are more are less his peers athletically. in the NBA, when he's surrounded by superior athletes, you really have to have a consistent tool. hayward doesn't have that. spotty shooter, no real penetration moves, absolutely ZERO post game.

Jeremy Evans will be better than Hayward. You heard it here first.

David Locke calls Hayward an elite ballhandler and passer. Pretty impressive for a guy who averaged a whopping 2 assists and more turnovers than assists. But that isn't so much a knock on Hayward as it is pointing out the fact that Locke is an embarrassment.

....who cares how high he can jump....or what his wing span actually is!!! He's got a ton more basketball brains than 90% of today's NBA players, he will box out, remember plays, know where to be on the court at all times, hit open shots, hit the open man, hustle on defense....he's got NO jail house tats or police record, and he comes on the cheap! By the way, I just figured out who he looks like! He looks like that kid that was in the movie "Suimmer of 42" or the one that played in "Ode to Billy Joe!" Two all time classics, by the way!

You know you've hit the bottom of the barrel when KKKarolinaJazz is right, and we're all wrong...!!!

My take on the Hayward/Turner comparisons.

Turner is not a Jazzman so piss on him. Hayward will be perfect for us. Glad we have him.

I cannot wait to watch The Four (Should we call them The Six and add Millsap and Marvin?).

My take on the Hayward/Turner comparisons.

Turner is not a Jazzman so piss on him. Hayward will be perfect for us. Glad we have him.

I cannot wait to watch The Four (Should we call them The Six and add Millsap and Marvin?).
The 4 are distinguished as such because they are the future of this team. Their are questions if we will even resign, plus he plays the same position as Favors, and who knows what the future holds for Marvin with the jazz.

The 4 are distinguished as such because they are the future of this team. Their are questions if we will even resign, plus he plays the same position as Favors, and who knows what the future holds for Marvin with the jazz.

I understand that. My point was alluding to down the line. Let's say that Millsap is resigned and Marvin WIllaims excells here and is here for a long time. They are both still young enough that they would be here for a long time and could be important pieces to the puzzle.

We should not rest everything on The Four but be looking to expand it. Will Millsap and Marvin fit into that scenario? This season will give us answers to those questions.

favors can and will play a lot of 5 over the course of his career.

besides, not sure if you've heard, but teams can have more than one player at each position. i know it's not ideal to have derrick average anything under 48 minutes per game, but... [/smartass]

in all seriousness, if they let paul walk i'll be a little pissed. if they don't think they can keep him they should use his expiring contract -- on which he's only owed another 6M or so -- and get something of value. letting somebody as valuable as paul walk for nothing would be a huge blunder.