What's new

Hood ain't that good

Hood scores 20 a game if he plays 75 games this year... just going to say it. He will share the floor a lot with Rubio and Ingles who will set him up. He won't be as hesitant to shoot. He will have a great year if healthy.

It will be all good in the Hood.

He may be more valuable to us because he can get his shot most of the time. We are a system offense and he can get his within the system but if you are end of clock or late game when you need someone that can just get a shot he can do that. Similar to JJ I expect Hood to make many game winners or game sealing shots if he remains healthy.

I agree. Love the fact that he's a lefty and long enough to shoot over people. He's great catch and shoot and stop and pop, only worry a little about his ability to create and his handle. Also loved what he said at the Utah/Boston S.L. game (interview) about working on his balance.

if you adjust for minutes played, Hood's numbers last year were comparable to Hayward's the year that we maxed him, except Hood was more efficient. That was Hayward's FOURTH year which Hood has yet to play.

And Rodney certainly has the ability to go to the bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHEBSMHDyHU

if you adjust for minutes played, Hood's numbers last year were comparable to Hayward's the year that we maxed him, except Hood was more efficient. That was Hayward's FOURTH year which Hood has yet to play.

if he has that ability to get to the basket and draw fouls he really needs to start doing it. For a shooting guard his free throw attempts are beyond pitiful. Shooting wise he's similar to Hayward then, but i just don't see the potential to be that all round playmaking / no.1 option. I hope he proves me wrong.

And is by far our most skilled scorer (except for Joe Johnson).

So yeah, why not double down on that team?

Except Hayward had been counted on to shoulder the load that year and was playing sort of out of his comfort level if iirc. He had also had had some much better years efficiency wise.

Hood was not near expected to shoulder that load and hasn't shown he can be efficient.

I need to make it clear I am a Jazz fan through and through, but all this talk of Hood on jazzfanz and in the media and among my friends (yes I have Friends) being good enough and making a jump on the offensive side of the ball and making up the difference we will need to stay relevant is strait ludicracy!

At this point I am not sure that I have even been watching the same player as you for the last few years... The way I hear people talk about him being a "creator" of offense or even more laughable a "above average" defender.

IMO... Hood is a guy you put in and give him 3 shots, if he misses all 3 you take him out and let him mull it over till half time than give him a 2nd go in the 2nd half. Hood is a "shooter" nothing more. and he experiences ebbs and flows in his efficiency like all shooters. Hood is not capable of creating his own shot on a regular bases, his offensive approach is predictable and poorly executed. He is one dimensional just like he can only use his left hand and only chooses to go left. (He dose not posses an elite skill, he is average at best)

Dot't get me wrong I like hood just fine, I am glad he is a JazzMan... However, putting pressure/expectations on a role player will never pan out.

Hood will average about where he was last year, with a few more shot attempts per game. (someone has to shoot it) And he will have a nights where he shoots 11-14 and 5-6 from 3pt. And for everyone of those games he will have 2 where he will shoot 1-8, 2-12, 2-14... he is a shooter and will suffer as shooters suffer. This is the main reason I have always been very supportive of him as a 6th man role. He is too inconsistent to be a starter.

For those of you that read my long spiel on Hood I welcome rebuttals. I even welcome you to bump this thread next year if I am wrong about Hood.

I do think Hood can create a shot and I think he has had times where he appeared to have a great future as an NBA starter. However, I think the expectations being put on him are really high and could backfire, especially since the Jazz have limited scoring options. I wonder if he is mentally prepared for that.

Last year doesn't really count as an indication of anything to me because he was playing through injuries. Much more interested in seeing what he does this year.

Health and consistency.

If Hood finds a way to obtain one he's a solid starter. If he finds a way to get both he's an all-star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AadSVTi7Wx4

if he has that ability to get to the basket and draw fouls he really needs to start doing it. For a shooting guard his free throw attempts are beyond pitiful. Shooting wise he's similar to Hayward then, but i just don't see the potential to be that all round playmaking / no.1 option. I hope he proves me wrong.

Not a whole lot of room in the paint to operate behind Rudy, Favors, and Haywood. He played the role he was given and will play the new role he is given. If he were on the Jazz finals teams they would have posted Hood up like Shandon Anderson. He's long and shoots high.

People tend to forget. Hay wasn't that good until we put him into the first option role; then developed him until he was one. If Rod works just as hard as Hay he has even more potential (given the two things I listed earlier coincide).

Hood might not be that good, but he most likely is the best scorer on the team. Would be awesome if someone else filled that role, like Favors or Mitchell.

I see potential in hood, but most everyone here treats him like he is a proven commodity.

The plain fact is in his 3 seasons he's never even had a PER > 14. PER 15 is the league average, thereby deeming his efficiency below the average player. He's been a net negative defensive player all 3 seasons, even while being on one of the best defensive teams in the league. And he's not that young... He'll be 25 when the season starts.

Nearly everyone calling him a "solid starter" or better gives some hope, but metrically he has been a below average player all his career. to suddenly become the primary option seems like too much to ask. I just want him to start playing more efficiently.

I see potential in hood, but most everyone here treats him like he is a proven commodity.

The plain fact is in his 3 seasons he's never even had a PER > 14. PER 15 is the league average, thereby deeming his efficiency below the average player. He's been a net negative defensive player all 3 seasons, even while being on one of the best defensive teams in the league. And he's not that young... He'll be 25 when the season starts.

Nearly everyone calling him a "solid starter" or better gives some hope, but metrically he has been a below average player all his career. to suddenly become the primary option seems like too much to ask. I just want him to start playing more efficiently.

PER is not a Stand alone measure of someone being good. It operates rebounders imo last year he was too 15 for his position in RPM. If he can be a little better than he was that year he's an above average starter.

I don't think the guy is ever an all star and some probably over rate him but I think he's a little underrated at this point in part due to the injury issues.

PER is not a Stand alone measure of someone being good. It operates rebounders imo last year he was too 15 for his position in RPM. If he can be a little better than he was that year he's an above average starter.

Never post while you're drunk.

Health and consistency should be the only question marks going into the season for Hood. His catch and shoot numbers and off the bounce numbers are very solid. He's also been one of the most efficient scorers in pick and roll and iso situations the last couple of years.

Fair to have reservations but he's shown flashes of being a really really good player. Saying that he's not good is just plain rubbish though. We should hope that he's good because he's the best scoring option we have.