What's new

Hood ain't that good

I remember reading something Dennis Lindsey said at the end of the season. Hood played injured most of this year. He played through the pain. The first game after resting his stats were the Hood we remembered. After 1 night's rest he was pretty much Trey Lyles efficient. After 2 nights of rest, he shot as well as Mack (a noticeable improvement over Lye-Lye but nothing to write home about. After 3 nights of rest he was Hood again.

They analyzed his production (and lack thereof) to pain.

Hood is in an environment where we NEED scorers to step up and 'be the man'. 36 year old Joe Johnson and oft injured Alec Burks are the closest things to Rodney Hood that we have to someone who can step up and finish games. But I think that Hood will lead the three of them in scoring by a long shot. Joe Johnson is great, but we can't expect him to take a huge load. This is a year for Hood to develop himself into 'the man'. It will be fun to watch him get there.

Consider this as well... No other player on the Jazz has carried the offensive load the final 5 minutes other than Hood and Joe Johnson. Hood did it admirably two years ago in about 10 games. He played injured that year too.

So, injured Hood = JGolds assessment.
Healthy Hood = Hayward's replacement??? - I could see it.

I remember reading something Dennis Lindsey said at the end of the season. Hood played injured most of this year. He played through the pain. The first game after resting his stats were the Hood we remembered. After 1 night's rest he was pretty much Trey Lyles efficient. After 2 nights of rest, he shot as well as Mack (a noticeable improvement over Lye-Lye but nothing to write home about. After 3 nights of rest he was Hood again.

They analyzed his production (and lack thereof) to pain.

Hood is in an environment where we NEED scorers to step up and 'be the man'. 36 year old Joe Johnson and oft injured Alec Burks are the closest things to Rodney Hood that we have to someone who can step up and finish games. But I think that Hood will lead the three of them in scoring by a long shot. Joe Johnson is great, but we can't expect him to take a huge load. This is a year for Hood to develop himself into 'the man'. It will be fun to watch him get there.

Consider this as well... No other player on the Jazz has carried the offensive load the final 5 minutes other than Hood and Joe Johnson. Hood did it admirably two years ago in about 10 games. He played injured that year too.

So, injured Hood = JGolds assessment.
Healthy Hood = Hayward's replacement??? - I could see it.

Yeah, but that's not accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/2581177/rodney-hood

Hood was at his worse with 3+ days of rest.

Last year doesn't really count as an indication of anything to me because he was playing through injuries. Much more interested in seeing what he does this year.

But that's been kind of a recurring theme throughout his career with the freak injuries. He's kind of slightly built and I don't know if he's a prima donna or what but he was out an inordinate amount of time for plantar faschiitis a year ago. In contrast, Hayward was an iron man. That's my biggest concern with him.

I was going to mention FT as well as assists.

Hood's game is an unathletic Kobe Bryant. Kobe was never efficient but he still won. The reasons were that he got to the FT line, putting pressure on the defense as starters had to be subbed out, taking tons of focus off guys like Pau, Odom, Bynum, Meta, and assisting at a pretty decent rate.

Kobe was never efficient offensively. Hood is not efficient offensively. He has the potential to be a better three point shooter than Kobe but his ability to make his teammates better offensively simply is not there. His ability to get to the line simply is not there. His physical growth potential simply is not there. He has almost zero the potential in every category that Hayward had early on.

WTS, I think he can be a decent role player. His monthly splits from 2016 looked pretty damn good at times. For a role player. Who can't get to the line or help his teammates score.

Jazz don't need Hood to be Hayward. And I'm not sure what the concern is over getting to the line. Utah now has a POINT guard. They don't having a SG playing point. They don't have a 3rd stringer getting minutes because he was Hayward's little buddy from college.

Rubio will be the primary play maker, not the wing as was the case with Hayward. Hood needs to be more like Korver than Hayward; just stand behind the arc and get ready to catch and shoot - with selective pump fakes and drives if an opponent guards too closely. And then Hood can utilize his pull-up jumper which is his secondary strength.

Yeah, but that's not accurate.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/2581177/rodney-hood

Hood was at his worse with 3+ days of rest.

Interesting. That isn't what I would have expected to see based on the comments.

Thinking out loud here, but we played a ton of games at the beginning of the season when he was healthy. 16.3 ppg on 45% FGs in games in November. That was better than I remembered. That was when he was healthy. Then the injuries started after the grueling 18 games in 35 days. I wonder how many of those 3rd days were after November? Probably all of them considering he played 18 games in 35 days, I doubt there was a single 3rd day of rest there. So, that probably skews those numbers a ton.

Since his best month (and only good month) was November when we played a ton of days with zero - 1 day of rest, that would definitely skew the numbers just looking at those stats. So, it's probably not a fair deal. One thing is for certain. Hood pre-injuries was a beast. Post injuries he was a kitten.

Hood just needs opportunity. He'll get it this year, the franchise has his back it seems. I think he wanted more of a roll in scoring but was smurfed by haywood. I think Hood has better go-to moves too. I hate kbryant but if he can help haywood make a jump I hope hood reaches out to him as well to polish things up. Just don't forget to pass sometimes hood!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using JazzFanz mobile app

Hood just needs opportunity. He'll get it this year, the franchise has his back it seems. I think he wanted more of a roll in scoring but was smurfed by haywood. I think Hood has better go-to moves too. I hate kbryant but if he can help haywood make a jump I hope hood reaches out to him as well to polish things up. Just don't forget to pass sometimes hood!!

Hood has never lacked opportunity. He just gets injured all the time and he struggles to find consistency, most likely due to the toll the injuries take.

He hasn't had the kind of opportunity he will get this year. People should remember that Hayward wasn't anything to write home about offensively either, until after he got his big contract. A big reason Hayward was able to develop the way he did was because Utah didn't have any better options. Hood is going to be our #1 option for the most part now, so he's going to get opportunity now regardless of struggles.

And for the OP saying he can't create, I agree with HH that Hood most definitely can create shots for himself and just needs to become more consistent. Being healthy should help there. He can get in the lane and get his shot up over players, which is a skill that doesn't grow on trees. Utah also has the perfect mentor for Hood to develop this part of his game in JJ.

One word. ludicracy. That is all.

Hood has never lacked opportunity. He just gets injured all the time and he struggles to find consistency, most likely due to the toll the injuries take.
I remember a time everyone was okay for haywood to leave because hood was standing out, and had those cool post turnaround jumpers. Hood also seemed angry toward the end of the season and I think it's because he wants to compete but the jazz had to help haywood shine to keep him on the team so hood was put on the backburner. I think Hood will come back with a vengeance next year with more freedom to create now the offense isn't centered for #hewhomustnotbenamed

I remember a time everyone was okay for haywood to leave because hood was standing out, and had those cool post turnaround jumpers. Hood also seemed angry toward the end of the season and I think it's because he wants to compete but the jazz had to help haywood shine to keep him on the team so hood was put on the backburner. I think Hood will come back with a vengeance next year with more freedom to create now the offense isn't centered for #hewhomustnotbenamed

That time never existed outside of a few people who really disliked Hayward.

He hasn't had the kind of opportunity he will get this year. People should remember that Hayward wasn't anything to write home about offensively either, until after he got his big contract. A big reason Hayward was able to develop the way he did was because Utah didn't have any better options. Hood is going to be our #1 option for the most part now, so he's going to get opportunity now regardless of struggles.

Hmm, there is something inherently wrong with your reasoning. For instance, how do you explain Hayward's above average defense? I seriously doubt that being the #1 option on offense made Hayward; it's much more likely that Hayward made Hayward through off-season conditioning and practice.

Crap, now I feel like **** for saying something good about that bum. I think I'll kick the dog to make me feel better.

People tend to forget. Hay wasn't that good until we put him into the first option role; then developed him until he was one. If Rod works just as hard as Hay he has even more potential (given the two things I listed earlier coincide).

Hayward found out what worked for him though. Putting on 30 lbs of muscle and playing a lot of bully ball to get to the line. Hood is thin with a slow first step, he doesn't have much of an advantage on any given night.

Hayward found out what worked for him though. Putting on 30 lbs of muscle and playing a lot of bully ball to get to the line. Hood is thin with a slow first step, he doesn't have much of an advantage on any given night.

I Couldn't agree more!

And for the OP saying he can't create, I agree with HH that Hood most definitely can create shots for himself and just needs to become more consistent. Being healthy should help there. He can get in the lane and get his shot up over players, which is a skill that doesn't grow on trees. Utah also has the perfect mentor for Hood to develop this part of his game in JJ.

I really don't know how to respond to this. Sometimes I think we are watching different games and players... Hayward in general has always been a fairly efficient player. Hood, Hood hasn't what he does give you on offense is Neg'd by what he doesn't give you on defense. Opportunity has very little to do with it. Good players make the most of the opportunity they are given. Hood has had moments of greatness and opportunitys. But greatness isn't in him. He cant command an offense. If he is the leader for Utah it will be one mediocre a$$ year.

The only reason Utah will accomplish anything this year will be due to the drive and determination of Gobert.

and through-out the whole year "when healthy" Hood will do what he does. and that is shoot, not get to the line, not get assists, and continue to be a liability on defense with his slow reaction time.

I don't ever recall this time.

and JJ will be good for Hood, JJ is good for all the young guys. But all of you saying hood can at this very moment create his own shot is silly to me. The kid has three moves that don't include shooting a three. And last year was the first year hood stopped shooting those 3s where he is floating the the left or right. The game slowed down a bit for him last year it was obvious during November. However, then hood slowed down too... He doesn't have elite ability, or even above average ability.
The worst thing that can happen to utah is hood having a decent year where he plays 70 games averages 17ppg 3rpg 2apg and we than pay big money for a guy who only got those piss poor stats because of the mantra "someone has to shoot the ball".

PER is not a Stand alone measure of someone being good. It operates rebounders imo last year he was too 15 for his position in RPM. If he can be a little better than he was that year he's an above average starter.

I don't think the guy is ever an all star and some probably over rate him but I think he's a little underrated at this point in part due to the injury issues.

Your go to guy should not be a "little above average". IMO... Is this what we have come to in Utah? WE settle for a little above average? Maybe we really are just a NBA farm team for the contenders...