What's new

Hornets....

Can you trade Bell and the TPE?
I guess you would have to do two separate trades:
Bell for 10th pick (Draft Kendall Marshall, Perry Jones, or Austin Rivers)
Ariza for Okur trade exception

ParaphraseGVC said:
Anything outside acquiring a star that limits Utah's ability to go after free agents in the 2013 summer sweepstakes is a non-starter

Co-signed, Jazzfanz.

We can always amnesty who ever they give us, Right?
No - only players acquired by the Jazz prior to July 1, 2011 are eligible for the amnesty clause.

Anything outside acquiring a star that limits Utah's ability to go after free agents in the 2013 summer sweepstakes is a non-starter.
Whoever posted that gets it.

I've always liked Ariza and would consider taking on his contract (after all - you have to have someone and it's somewhat unrealistic to expect Utah to have everyone outside the core-4 on deals that expire in 2013) but taking on Okafor is just plain silly. It's the 10th pick! If you're targeting Lillard there's no gaurantee he's still there at 10, and whoever it is there's always that risk he doesn't pan out that comes with virtually all rookies (outside of the sure-fire ones at the top). Then you just screwed up your roster flexibility for a #10 draft pick. Ariza - okay. Okafor - no way. Ariza AND Okafor - ridiculous.

Last edited:
thanks for clarifying.

In this case, is a late lotto pick really worth taking on a bad contract?

Ariza is not that bad of a contract. He makes $7.2 million next year, and the year after that he makes $7.7 million and he has a players option. That is certainly doable. Okafor is making double that each year.

Ariza, 10th for Harris and Bell makes sense but if Lillard isn't there at 10, I think 10 is to high to draft Marshall. I'd rather get Beal, Lamb, Rivers or Ross but then we would have no starting PG.

The Hornets were looking at Zeller at 10 which makes me thing they want a big man. Give them Jefferson, Bell for Ariza, filler, 10th. If they want to put in Aminu as the filler then fine.

Our total salary for 2013-2014 would be 26 million with these guys. Aminu and Ariza come off the books and we could resign them depending on how they do. We would still have 32 million dollars of cap space for the 2013 free agency.

It's not like we are going to win the championship next year anyways, might as well take what we can get so we can add shooters/all-star in 2013 free agency

He will add some toughness and grit that Howard never really supplied. If getting the 10th pick meant keep Howard around for another 2 years, I would do it.

He will add some toughness and grit that Howard never really supplied. If getting the 10th pick meant keep Howard around for another 2 years, I would do it.

I always thought Howard added toughness and rebounding. Ariza does pretty much the same thing Howard does, he is just younger. He is more athletic too, but he doesn't really use it because he isn't good at attacking the rim.

Taking on Ariza really hurts our shooting though. The guy has awful shot selection.
The past few years he has but what I like about him is he can be a very good system role-player.
IMO he's a solid 3pt shooter on open catch&shoot threes. His problem is when he settles for jumpers off his own dribble. He can shoot the 3, or if they close-out hard drive and slash all the way to the rim. That's what he did in LA and his shot selection wasn't an issue there. I think the big contract (imo he felt more pressure to score instead of be the 2-way role-player that earned him that contract in the first place) combined with his teammates (poor talent around him and even w/CP3 he didn't have alot of opportunities to move w/out the basketball) and coaches (NOH and Hou had free-flowing loose offenses rather than more rigid "use the system to get you to a spot you're comfortable in and you'll get an open look) really hurt his shooting percentages. I like the idea of Ariza starting at SF w/Hayward at SG...he would draw the opponents best wing every night and take a little of the pressure off Hayward there, not to mention he's got championship experience and for what I can tell - would be a solid addition to the lockerroom.

Just terrible thinking here.

I am just being realistic. OKC has three superstars and two defense big man and they play in our division. We have all the potential in the world but it's going to take time before we will be able to challenge them.

just noticed Ariza free throw % is not good in regular season, but in 09 he shot 3s great in 23 playoff games.

It's strange how guys can look good at 3s one year, and then lose it.

Just terrible thinking here.

I'm with you Hant. We may not be winning the championship this year but "taking what we can get" ensures that we will not be winning a championship in the next several years either. Yes I'd like to see moves made but ones that move the Jazz forward. Not just shuffling the deck so to speak.

Didn't Ariza light us up in the playoffs once?

Yup, looks like were trading for him after all.