What's new

Hot Rod didn't like those pesky TWolves, let's beat them for him (GT)

WTF season from Dante offensively. I'm absolutely flabbergasted. I don't think there's ever been a scouting report more wrong about a prospect. He's the complete opposite to what he was in U18 competitions. 10 FTA/game in the U18 FIBA WC. 10 per game!!! That's Harden/Westbrook level aggression. What the hell happened to him? Did he get molested under a basketball rim or something? So frustrating...

WTF season from Dante offensively. I'm absolutely flabbergasted. I don't think there's ever been a scouting report more wrong about a prospect. He's the complete opposite to what he was in U18 competitions. 10 FTA/game in the U18 FIBA WC. 10 per game!!! That's Harden/Westbrook level aggression. What the hell happened to him? Did he get molested under a basketball rim or something? So frustrating...

So bizzare .... i really would like to know what Snyder is instructing him to do on the court. In specifics, not just the stuff he says to the media

I think defensively he's a bit over-valued at the moment too. He is really good at staying in front of his man, and his length often bothers shooters. But he has many defensive weaknesses (in addition to his literal weakness). He can't control his speed well enough to stay with more crafty guards, and he tends to end up 5 feet from his man as soon as the latter changes velocity. He's bad at fighting through screens, he's bad at getting in the passing lane, and he makes many dumb decisions, misses assignments, etc. I mean he's good defensively, but I've heard nonsense like "he's already a top 10 guard defensively". He's not. Hopefully he'll get there someday, but right now he's an above average defender and the worst offensive player I've ever seen.

I'm willing to give Exum a pass this year and next. He is going from low level HS ball to the NBA. 82 games. I'm willing to give him a pass next year as well, as long as he shows a little improvement in the off-season. In year 3, then I'll start evaluating him a little bit long term.

Trey though is so frustrating. Even games like today, which is a "good" game for him he shoots under 50 %, only has 1 FT, only has 3 assists and has almost as many shots as he does points. I think he will be around next year, but on a much shorter leash. Hopefully he shows some improvement and more consistency. I'd like the Jazz to get something for him in a trade.

I think defensively he's a bit over-valued at the moment too. He is really good at staying in front of his man, and his length often bothers shooters. But he has many defensive weaknesses (in addition to his literal weakness). He can't control his speed well enough to stay with more crafty guards, and he tends to end up 5 feet from his man as soon as the latter changes velocity. He's bad at fighting through screens, he's bad at getting in the passing lane, and he makes many dumb decisions, misses assignments, etc. I mean he's good defensively, but I've heard nonsense like "he's already a top 10 guard defensively". He's not. Hopefully he'll get there someday, but right now he's an above average defender and the worst offensive player I've ever seen.

I have to agree. He's shown elite flashes and he's had some amazing defensive games, but I don't think he's top 10PG defensively. He's probably above average for his position though. I think he can become elite defender. He still gets pummeled when people drive straight at him... right now the best way to attack him is to go straight at him rather than go around him. He also misses some rotations and gets really confused sometimes. But yah, his defense is better than I personally expected.

I really don't know what to make of his offense... I've never seen anything like that, and I've never seen a player with such discrepancy between his pre-draft and post-draft play.

In retrospect it is kind of comical how Exum didn't want to come to Utah because we had Trey Burke already.

Utah may very well be the only team in the NBA that would start Exum.

I don't know the accuracy of that FTA stat you posted, but the last time he played prior to the draft was the U19 where he averaged 7 FTAs a game. Not bad, but definitely not good for a top 5 pick in the draft playing HS ball. He had 5 of the 9 games of less than 5 FTAs. Great HS players go to the line a ton.