What's new

Hot Rod didn't like those pesky TWolves, let's beat them for him (GT)

I think defensively he's a bit over-valued at the moment too. He is really good at staying in front of his man, and his length often bothers shooters. But he has many defensive weaknesses (in addition to his literal weakness). He can't control his speed well enough to stay with more crafty guards, and he tends to end up 5 feet from his man as soon as the latter changes velocity. He's bad at fighting through screens, he's bad at getting in the passing lane, and he makes many dumb decisions, misses assignments, etc. I mean he's good defensively, but I've heard nonsense like "he's already a top 10 guard defensively". He's not. Hopefully he'll get there someday, but right now he's an above average defender and the worst offensive player I've ever seen.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment, Siro. I think I agree with the general point (some people are jumping the gun a little bit), but I disagree with some of the details. I think he does a much better job of fighting through screens than many point guards, despite his lack of strength. Also, he's not a huge steal threat, but sometimes you don't want every single one of your players playing the passing lanes.

Would you say he is an above average defender (top 15) among starting point guards? I think I would. And considering he still has a lot to learn about defensive technique and defensive assignments, I think that bodes really well for his defensive potential. Like sgjazzfan, I'm willing to give him until his third year before I make any damning conclusions about his game.

WTF season from Dante offensively. I'm absolutely flabbergasted. I don't think there's ever been a scouting report more wrong about a prospect. He's the complete opposite to what he was in U18 competitions. 10 FTA/game in the U18 FIBA WC. 10 per game!!! That's Harden/Westbrook level aggression. What the hell happened to him? Did he get molested under a basketball rim or something? So frustrating...

Four Australians in the bottom-12 of FTA-per-poss in the NBA:

https://www.basketball-reference.co...&c6stat=&order_by=fta_per_poss&order_by_asc=Y

I respectfully disagree with your assessment, Siro. I think I agree with the general point (some people are jumping the gun a little bit), but I disagree with some of the details. I think he does a much better job of fighting through screens than many point guards, despite his lack of strength. Also, he's not a huge steal threat, but sometimes you don't want every single one of your players playing the passing lanes.

Would you say he is an above average defender (top 15) among starting point guards? I think I would. And considering he still has a lot to learn about defensive technique and defensive assignments, I think that bodes really well for his defensive potential. Like sgjazzfan, I'm willing to give him until his third year before I make any damning conclusions about his game.

Exum is far above average defensively for a point guard. Most point guards don't play defense at all. If you consider it the job of a point guard to play for steals, then Exum is average, I guess. If you consider it the job of the defender to impede the offensive player in what he wants to do, then Exum is very, very good at it already. Obviously he needs more experience and better game conditioning. Like was mentioned here it is hard to rub Exum off on a single screen. It needs to be a very good screen, or Exum can recover pretty quickly. He's not a complete liability on the switch at 6'6" and will be less so as his body fills out. He has a defensive rating of 89.3 which is pretty darn good, especially for a rookie point.

Also, it was fun to see Wiggins and Gobert going at it. We'll be seeing great plays by each of them for years to come.

This, Minny is going to get one of the coveted bigs and they might actually progress to the playoffs in 2-3 years.

Exum is far above average defensively for a point guard. Most point guards don't play defense at all. If you consider it the job of a point guard to play for steals, then Exum is average, I guess. If you consider it the job of the defender to impede the offensive player in what he wants to do, then Exum is very, very good at it already. Obviously he needs more experience and better game conditioning. Like was mentioned here it is hard to rub Exum off on a single screen. It needs to be a very good screen, or Exum can recover pretty quickly. He's not a complete liability on the switch at 6'6" and will be less so as his body fills out. He has a defensive rating of 89.3 which is pretty darn good, especially for a rookie point.

ESPN just ranked him as the 23rd best PG defensively.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/...point-guards-no-1-chris-paul-no-30-dante-exum

Of course they ranked him worst overall.

Last edited:
It was a concussion, his head bends?

bubble_wrap_head.jpg

Not sure if this got answered in the last few pages of the thread, but Grant Jerret is the guy you're thinking of. He was sent to the Idaho Stampede on the 26th.

I was at a practice a little while before he was sent to the D league and he was shocking awful. Really out of shape and clueless.

They ranked him 23rd best defensively based on what criteria exactly?

I posted a link, maybe you could do some digging and figure it out. What I do know however, is that they use a panel of 210 experts who mostly watch basketball and/or have played basketball for a living and are not all fans of one particular team - so not nearly as biased as what one might read on a fan forum.

I like that the next game against the Nuggets is a payback game as well. The Jazz were just lousy in Denver last week.