What's new

House and Paschall

This sort of reminds me of that saying in football that the most popular player on the team is the backup quarterback. Role players in basketball tend to be inconsistent. I guarantee you that if we got rid of two rotation players and replaced them with House and Paschall the honeymoon phase would be short lived. Playing big minutes over the course of a grinding 82 game season, they would go through rough patches and slumps just like the guys we currently have in the rotation, and their weaknesses and deficiencies would start to show more and more. Soon fans would grow tired and frustrated with them and the same ones clamoring for House, Paschall and Hughes to get more minutes would soon be complaining because the new 10th, 11th and 12th men on the bench aren't getting enough minutes and aren't in the rotation.

This is true but at the same time it applies to the bench guys plus Royce who are in the set nine man rotation. Some games those guys won't bring the energy or have an off day it these games that is where the likes of Paschall and House could make a difference. Other games it might be using the other guys for match up reasons.

As for the rest of the post you need to factor in that moving on say Royce for Covington (just as an example, not going to actually happen) that would then make Covington a new member of the 9 man rotation so the likes of Paschall and House wouldn't be moving up the pecking order. The exception would be if we traded for draft picks which is not what we will be doing.

There is no logical reason for a coach to have a strict 9 man rotation.

I have decided I am the Captain of the House of House. I think he might be better in the 3 and D role than Royce was this year. Paschall is more situational but needs to play more. Even its us going small. Hassan won't be playable in the playoffs... I'm fairly sure of it. Its our best chance at a 5 out lineup... get wild because it ain't like we getting the #1 seed.

My suggestion, as soon as both Mitchell and Gobert are good to go, take one of Bogey or Royce to rest from their injuries for a couple weeks (a 3rd or 4th if needed be), once one gets good to go, rest the other. If Bogey spacing and scoring, and Royce defense and overall glue guy work are so vital to this team, we also need them healthy for the playoffs, so don't run them to the ground.

Fewer minutes for Royce at the 4, and fewer minutes for JC and Ingles in general would help a lot. If I could, I would put Joe in cold storage until the playoffs, I think rest is the only thing that might help him bounce back.

I’m hoping and am slightly more optimistic than others that Quin will start using one or both of them more. Covid protocols forcing his hand might be the catalyst that’s needed. I’d still only view them as the 8th or 9th guys on the depth chart, but even a small tweak to the lineup could go a long way.
Joe needs this:

Screenshot_20220127-131515_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

Royce is a limited player. We love him because he's our home-grown, hard-nosed project. However, if the Jazz want to upgrade their starting or closing lineup, Royce should be coming off the bench.

The reason the Jazz are looking for a guy like Grant, Barnes or Covington is to replace Royce's minutes with someone better.

Fewer minutes for Royce at the 4, and fewer minutes for JC and Ingles in general would help a lot. If I could, I would put Joe in cold storage until the playoffs, I think rest is the only thing that might help him bounce back.

I’m hoping and am slightly more optimistic than others that Quin will start using one or both of them more. Covid protocols forcing his hand might be the catalyst that’s needed. I’d still only view them as the 8th or 9th guys on the depth chart, but even a small tweak to the lineup could go a long way.

I don't see that happening. I think Forrest remains 10th man, Paschall 11th and House 12th. No way is Quin benching JC, Joe, Gay or Whiteside.

Royce is a limited player. We love him because he's our home-grown, hard-nosed project. However, if the Jazz want to upgrade their starting or closing lineup, Royce should be coming off the bench.

The reason the Jazz are looking for a guy like Grant, Barnes or Covington is to replace Royce's minutes with someone better.
Man, if you havent noticed nearly the whole board hates Royce these days.

Easily the most undeserved hate of any player on the team.

Seems like the board hates pretty much everyone right now except Rudy, Conley, House, Paschall, Hughes and Butler.

I think Royce is over-rated for what he actually brings. He doesn't cost much so his production per dollar ratio is pretty high, but he is not some other-worldly Superstar-stopper or whatever he is made out to be. Maybe he is hobbled with an injury or something but he has regressed this year on D and is barely ok on offense. I don't hate the guy by any stretch, I wish everyone put in the effort he does on both ends of the court. I just think we have seen his limits and they are that he is a good 3 and D kind of guy, and that is about it. But everyone has seen him be abused by bigger and longer and more athletic players, because frankly until you hit Gobert we are woefully undersized. That has to be addressed somehow, our lower level of athleticism and size is a detriment even when we are clicking and playing as a team. That is another thing the Clippers exposed last year.

I think Royce is over-rated for what he actually brings. He doesn't cost much so his production per dollar ratio is pretty high, but he is not some other-worldly Superstar-stopper or whatever he is made out to be. Maybe he is hobbled with an injury or something but he has regressed this year on D and is barely ok on offense. I don't hate the guy by any stretch, I wish everyone put in the effort he does on both ends of the court. I just think we have seen his limits and they are that he is a good 3 and D kind of guy, and that is about it. But everyone has seen him be abused by bigger and longer and more athletic players, because frankly until you hit Gobert we are woefully undersized. That has to be addressed somehow, our lower level of athleticism and size is a detriment even when we are clicking and playing as a team. That is another thing the Clippers exposed last year.
He's one of the best 3&D players in the NBA. He doent take stupid shots. He doesnt commit stupid turnovers. Yes, he is very limited, but his ability to play within his limits is what sets him apart from other role players. This dude has been asked to guard the best player 100% of the time he is on the court and he does it well while also being the starting unit's 2nd best rebounder despite only being 6'5. He isnt a stopper, but most players would be absolute dog **** in his role.

Royce is a perfect example of the overreactions by fans in general and especially here and taking a minor thing to the absolute extremes.

Yes Royce is the easiest starter to replace
Yes Royce's offensive impact for his minutes is way too low most games
Yes Royce is playing too many minutes

But

The starting lineup works for him because they need a low usage player whereas the bench needs more aggressive offensive players (why I think he should not share minutes with Forrest).

I believe Royce was forced into this role due to lack of options. I also believe that now between Forrest, House and Paschall it would be possible to reduce his minutes.

I also believe Quin was trying to use Royce as the example as far giving all those extra minutes as a reward for playing hard. Quin has said in the past he plays and subs guys based on what they do not on what they don't do (as to not hurt a players confidence if they are in a shooting slump just to put in context of when he usually says this).

If you would have told me that Paschall would be shooting 39% on decent three point volume I would have told you that he could play 25+ minutes on just about any team in the league.

He needs to play. If he can keep this up, he should be a part of our long term plans too.

If you would have told me that Paschall would be shooting 39% on decent three point volume I would have told you that he could play 25+ minutes on just about any team in the league.

He needs to play. If he can keep this up, he should be a part of our long term plans too.

I'd like him to commit to rebounding, but yeah, he's moving the ball and hitting shots without hesitating.

Hate is too strong of a word. I don't hate Royce, I just do not think he is a starting PF on a championship team. I think his best role is an energy guy off the bench. Beside the fact that when he isn't playing well, why not use some of the other players who are talented to take some of his minutes. It is a long season and I don't understand why Quinn feels the need to overuse plays while he has capable players at the end of the bench who can play 10-15 minutes a game or more to rest some of the older players so they can be fresh for the playoffs.

Hate is too strong of a word. I don't hate Royce, I just do not think he is a starting PF on a championship team. I think his best role is an energy guy off the bench. Beside the fact that when he isn't playing well, why not use some of the other players who are talented to take some of his minutes. It is a long season and I don't understand why Quinn feels the need to overuse plays while he has capable players at the end of the bench who can play 10-15 minutes a game or more to rest some of the older players so they can be fresh for the playoffs.

My issue with Royce is 1. his intent on offense and 2. his defending of guards. When he plays aggressive and looks at the rim, he is worthy contributor on that end but half the time he plays scared and it almost becomes a case of play 4 on 5. Im not saying he should look for more shots and try creating off the dribble but he needs to be more willing to do so if defenses are going to sleep on him. While he can't defend guards to save himself and yet our coach regularly gives him the assignment of defending them, let Conley/Mitchell and Forrest handle them and if their is no assignment for him, allow him to become the help whether that be coming across and defending the rim like he did against Houston in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago or simply be there for the rebound.

ay House is a player i swore up n down in the draftees thread was good enough to get drafted n wouldve been higher on all boards but his advanced age was holding him back, n that evaluation was obviously spot on... Didnt take a genius to figure that one out too he was always NBA tough/athletic and played with great motor n defense, and showed flashes of skill and further upside back at Texas A&M.

Good to see Paschall be so productive too. I like what the FO's done with the bench.