What's new

House needs to start

It's not loyalty, it's trust.

Royce is just a very trustworthy player for the most part. He doesn't make many mental errors (other than not shooting)
I don't have data to back it up, just my eye test, but I think Royce makes a ton of mental errors in the clutch.

It's a small sample size, but each time we've closed with House he's made big plays.

I don't have data to back it up, just my eye test, but I think Royce makes a ton of mental errors in the clutch.

It's a small sample size, but each time we've closed with House he's made big plays.
Yeah, the clutch might be a different story. But most of those mistakes come down to simply not shooting.

How many times has House closed? I only remember two. The first one he didn't foul when he was supposed to leading to an open 3. Against the Grizzlies he wasn't great either. He got confused on a couple defensive series leading to open 3s and almost gave up a game leading layup.

Royce had been good in the clutch until this year. Admittedly this year he has been terrible. I'm not sure it really matters too much since neither will have many opportunities to touch the ball in the clutch anyway.

House averages 0.9 blocks per 36 minutes so he’s Mr. Block Yo Ball. Also 0.9 rounds up to 1 and with inflation that’s like 2 blocks within a couple years. Rudy Gobert only averages 2.1 blocks per game and that really rounds down to 2 per game so that’s pretty impressive that he gets as many blocks as Gobert.

Royce's long ball is good. Clutch play is overrated. Only 5 players in the league are good in the clutch. Rest him, he needs it.

Never Royce is one of Quins guys and that will never change. Quin gets a hard on from Royce being scared to shoot and he rewards that with even more minutes

what is this meme

lolz the Jazz made marketing material for Royce to be on all-defensive team and the title for one of them was Mr Steal Yo Ball.

Sounds made up I know but it’s sadly true.

What’s crazy is that within 24 hours, both Jazz PR and Quin came out with (different) arguments using MTJK math. One of the ones playing up Royce for defensive team is that he’s averaging a career high in steals. He’s 40th in the league.

Royce is on a slump. he looks terrible at closing time. silly turnovers and bad plays and missing shots. is he injured? anyway I feel house plays better alongside conley, rudy, jc in the 2nd unit. more run and gun more exciting

Royce is on a slump. he looks terrible at closing time. silly turnovers and bad plays and missing shots. is he injured? anyway I feel house plays better alongside conley, rudy, jc in the 2nd unit. more run and gun more exciting
Closing time. He doesn’t have to go home but he can’t start here.

House averages 0.9 blocks per 36 minutes so he’s Mr. Block Yo Ball. Also 0.9 rounds up to 1 and with inflation that’s like 2 blocks within a couple years. Rudy Gobert only averages 2.1 blocks per game and that really rounds down to 2 per game so that’s pretty impressive that he gets as many blocks as Gobert.
You've been hanging out with @MeloTheJazzKiller too much.

this is perfection

@People saying clutch is overrated/Royce doesn't have a big role in clutch time anyways

I think considering what has happened to this team for three years, the pressure that is on them, and the fact that they are most likely going to be remembered for choking during big moments, we cannot have guys on the floor who are scared of the moment. I really do think this team has the yips. They make so many mental mistakes down the stretch when they are playing good games. If one guy is afraid of the ball or the shot out there, I think that spreads. If Royce panics or won't take a shot that puts more pressure on Mitchell, who responds by also panicking and trying to force something. There's no reason this team couldn't make the Conference Finals if they avoid Phoenix, from a talent perspective, but they have zero confidence in themselves and a major fear of failure. I know advanced stats might say Royce's percentages are better, but House's confidence and energy is a major factor here too. It's something they've got to at least consider.

@People saying clutch is overrated/Royce doesn't have a big role in clutch time anyways

I think considering what has happened to this team for three years, the pressure that is on them, and the fact that they are most likely going to be remembered for choking during big moments, we cannot have guys on the floor who are scared of the moment. I really do think this team has the yips. They make so many mental mistakes down the stretch when they are playing good games. If one guy is afraid of the ball or the shot out there, I think that spreads. If Royce panics or won't take a shot that puts more pressure on Mitchell, who responds by also panicking and trying to force something. There's no reason this team couldn't make the Conference Finals if they avoid Phoenix, from a talent perspective, but they have zero confidence in themselves and a major fear of failure. I know advanced stats might say Royce's percentages are better, but House's confidence and energy is a major factor here too. It's something they've got to at least consider.

I'm fine with House closing, and agree with the premise that his confidence and energy could help in the clutch. In the very limited clutch time he's played it hasn't seemed to make a difference though, as we've still blown leads, and he hasn't helped our clutch defense or offense.

I do think there is a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to Royce vs House. House makes a lot of mistakes that get glossed over while every Royce mistake is magnified. I looked up Royce's clutch stats and besides his shooting (which has been good in the past) they are really solid. He has the highest assist to turnover ratio in the clutch on our team and has the highest rebound % of any non center. House hasn't played enough clutch minutes to matter, but it would probably surprise people that our offense and defense are better with Royce in the clutch vs House.

I hate being the resident Royce defender. He's been bad at times, and is far from perfect or replaceable. I just don't like how he's become the scapegoat for our problems when he's such a small portion of it.