What's new

Houston, New Orleans, and possibly Chicago clearing cap room

I'm calling it right now... We get t jones and other salary cap fodder for a few of our second rounders or a highly protected 1st.

Go with the 2nd round picks. They have a ton of them and everybody knows that Houston is clearing house. Speed is worth more than value to them right now. Motiejunas wouldn't be a bad pickup either. Would have gladly taken on Lin in return for their #25 pick and ended up with Capella, Bogdanovic or Slo Mo.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojYahooNBA Rival GM: "Houston is trying to clear the deck. Everyone in play except for their main guys." Max space for Chris Bosh, on the way.

They don't have to do that much.
As posted in the other thread, IF the trades for Lin and Asik go through, all they need is another minor deal. Jones/Canaan for a 2nd would clear their space. Heck, if I'm Lindsey, I step in and take Lin, too and grab a couple of future firsts. We eat up $12M in cap space, pay out $18M in salaries (which gets us to the floor) and acquire a future picks plus a solid player in Jones. Or have them include Capela instead of one of those firsts. C'mon, Dennis. This is ours for the taking!

Please DL, pull the trigger and get T Jones. Call Kanter, get him out of bed, tell him to pack his bags to Houston and let's welcome T Jones at the airport. Get'er done DL.

I don't know why we even have a salary cap. The Salary cap is literally worthless to my knowledge. Just say.....This is the minimum you have to spend. This is the luxury tax. End of story.

Is there any penalties for going over the salary cap? Again luxury tax is different.

Please DL, pull the trigger and get T Jones. Call Kanter, get him out of bed, tell him to pack his bags to Houston and let's welcome T Jones at the airport. Get'er done DL.

Kanter gets paid more then Jones. They are trying to clear cap space. Not increase it.

Is there any penalties for going over the salary cap? Again luxury tax is different.

Good post.
I would like to know the answer as well

Looks like Jeremy Lin to the Lakers. Kobe should just retire.

I don't get the Jeremy Lin hate. Dude has produced well and I am surprised the Lakers didn't ask for T. Jones(maybe they did). Kobe isn't going to retire with all that money on board. Kobe only has himself to blame if they can't bring in any major free agents. Lin going to the Lakers though probably is the end to Carmelo joining them. Rumor is Carmelo didn't like Lin.

Guys, does anyone have Dennis Lindsay's cell phone number? Not sure if he knows about this whole fire sale thing. He is probably out mowing his lawn or something, maybe getting fry sauce with his little brother.

He is probably still celebrating a pickup of Novak. That's 7.2 mil well spent, and with second round pick to boot, he is probably pleasuring himself right now, while other teams pickup first rounders for a lot less.

I don't know why we even have a salary cap. The Salary cap is literally worthless to my knowledge. Just say.....This is the minimum you have to spend. This is the luxury tax. End of story.

I think the salary cap is working exactly how it's designed.
A hard cap is unrealistic with only 13-15 players per team. It would just be too easy to steal a player by paying him $1 more than the team has in cap space.
Look at Miami; they were able to have their Big3 but could only sign a weak bench beyond that. And they won 2 championships. With no cap, they could have signed one more great player - or a couple of very good ones - and just ran away with every title, Cleveland is having to get rid of some assets to get a Big3 (if they acquire Love). Houston has to shed some decent players to get Bosh.

I think what teams are seeing now is that they need a "Big3" + 1. You have your three all-stars, but then need 1-2 players on rookie deals to win. And the rookie can then be upped, if needed, by matching a RFA offer sheet. Cleveland may have that with James, Irving, Love and players like Thompson and Waiters. Houston has that with Bosh, Howard, Harden and Parsons.

Hard cap works in football because you have 53 players. There should be some kind of cap in baseball, IMO. Probably some structure like the NBA. Only will happen, though if we see 20 years of only the Dodgers and Yankees winning titles, which hasn't happened.

I don't get the Jeremy Lin hate. Dude has produced well and I am surprised the Lakers didn't ask for T. Jones(maybe they did). Kobe isn't going to retire with all that money on board. Kobe only has himself to blame if they can't bring in any major free agents. Lin going to the Lakers though probably is the end to Carmelo joining them. Rumor is Carmelo didn't like Lin.
Lin called Carmelo a big **** and 'Melo replied, "you're just jealous."

He is probably still celebrating a pickup of Novak. That's 7.2 mil well spent, and with second round pick to boot, he is probably pleasuring himself right now, while other teams pickup first rounders for a lot less.
I agree Boston got a good deal. However, Lin has a cap hit of $8M, but is due $15M. In most drafts, late 1sts can be had for around $3M. Not that great of a deal for LA, but I guess since payroll is a "sunk cost" up to the floor, it really doesn't matter to them.

If nothing overwhelms Dennis, he may just hold on to the cap space until the trade deadline. After last summer, you can be sure Lindsey is not a sit-around-on-his-*** GM. But he's not going to jump on just any trade.

I agree Boston got a good deal. However, Lin has a cap hit of $8M, but is due $15M. In most drafts, late 1sts can be had for around $3M. Not that great of a deal for LA, but I guess since payroll is a "sunk cost" up to the floor, it really doesn't matter to them.

If nothing overwhelms Dennis, he may just hold on to the cap space until the trade deadline. After last summer, you can be sure Lindsey is not a sit-around-on-his-*** GM. But he's not going to jump on just any trade.

Lin is a decent one year filler for them... He will move some product as well.

I imagine that a lot of Jeremy Lin Lakers jerseys will be sold this year. Wonder if that plays anything into the decision. They might even look to bring him back at a discount once his deal expires. I don't see anyone paying him even close to $8 million per year again.

I imagine that a lot of Jeremy Lin Lakers jerseys will be sold this year. Wonder if that plays anything into the decision. They might even look to bring him back at a discount once his deal expires. I don't see anyone paying him even close to $8 million per year again.
For a guy on an expiring deal? I doubt it.
Now if he were to re-sign next season, yes.

I imagine the knock-off shops in downtown LA will be busy making jerseys, though.

For a guy on an expiring deal? I doubt it.
Now if he were to re-sign next season, yes.

I imagine the knock-off shops in downtown LA will be busy making jerseys, though.

I doubt most of those fans will understand he may be there only a year... Also China loves Kobe... I bet they do well... Not 15 M well, but it will add some life to a horrible lakers team.