What's new

Houston..

1) Stop allowing developers to build in a flood plain. Not only is it dangerous for the residents of the home but the impermeable surfaces in the flood plain increase the risk of flooding to surrounding communities.

2) Voluntary FEMA development easements. Congress should allocate funds for an incentive(following a flood) for people to leave a high risk flood area to rebuild on a plot with lower flood risk. If a person choses this route they may keep their flooded property but FEMA will own the development rights.

1. it can be done. the Netherlands never floods and it is basically under sea-level. but they have built the dikes(dykes) dams.(not trying to curse here) to withstand the strongest storm in a 100 years and then some! and the politicians are not really corrupt when it comes to maintaining the dykes, and pump system!

in new orleans for example katrina(do not know about texas as of now)
the army core of engineers build and designed the stuff in new orleans to only withstand a category 3 storm to safe money. guess what happens when **** hits the fans!

after all almost everything the government touches tends to get worse[/QUOTE]

i saw some studies on this a while back, this is just this is just my retelling of events in my messed up broken written english.

just googled a "katrina amry corps of engeneers" and first link that popped up
http://grist.org/article/grunwald/
but maybe you can find some more reputable sources. that one just explains what i said, but without Netherlands as a example of how it can be done

funny how we blame climate change, which would give govenrments more power and taxes.

instead of blaming government for not doing their job correctly in the first place!

funny how we blame climate change, which would give govenrments more power and taxes.

instead of blaming government for not doing their job correctly in the first place!
You think we should blame the government for making the hurricane?

I have this awesome co-worker that I mentioned on here before (the one who wouldn't vote for Clinton because she gained her position by sacrificing children in witchcraft rituals). Houston was mentioned yesterday, and he promptly jumped in and explained how hurricanes are created by the globalists in order to push their climate change (fake!) agenda designed to enslave us all.

bno as i stated, the huricane cnanot be stopped. but with katrina for example.

the govenrment decided to cut corners on the infrastructure, water levies dykes etc whatever the english name is. and then katrina got worse than it needed to be.

i have heard rumblings that texas also cut corners on the water infrastructure because it is usually dry(i have not confirmed this yet)

but i blame the government for not being adequately prepared

bno as i stated, the huricane cnanot be stopped. but with katrina for example.

the govenrment decided to cut corners on the infrastructure, water levies dykes etc whatever the english name is. and then katrina got worse than it needed to be.

i have heard rumblings that texas also cut corners on the water infrastructure because it is usually dry(i have not confirmed this yet)

but i blame the government for not being adequately prepared

This is one of the stupidest faux-intellectual arguments you've ever used.

In your world it wouldn't matter who builds the infrastructure. A thing is only perfect until it's not, and at that point it's going to be useless.

In your world it wouldn't matter who builds the infrastructure. A thing is only perfect until it's not, and at that point it's going to be useless.

really? in the case of katrina the infrastructure wasnot designed for such a strong huricane.

I guarantee you if you drop as much water in the netherlands as is being dropped in texas right now. it will be business as usual. hear and there a tunnel flooded nothing more!

None the less... it seems like someone in the government did try to write legislation that addressed infrastructure and rising sea levels.

Anyone remember that?

No the issue with the government failing to reinforce known weaknesses in the levees in New Orleans pre-Katrina are completely true. It was recommended as far back as the early 90's that the levees needed to be upgraded or a large storm would do exactly what Katrina did. Googling brings up lots of info on the subject. It was not just a failure of Bush to react quickly enough, the failures spanned over a decade of local, state, and federal government inaction.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/04/nation/na-levee4

No the issue with the government failing to reinforce known weaknesses in the levees in New Orleans pre-Katrina are completely true. It was recommended as far back as the early 90's that the levees needed to be upgraded or a large storm would do exactly what Katrina did. Googling brings up lots of info on the subject. It was not just a failure of Bush to react quickly enough, the failures spanned over a decade of local, state, and federal government inaction.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/04/nation/na-levee4

What's the old saying again.. "It's good until it's not?"

It doesn't matter who makes the dam. Someone's going to make it. And it's going to be a damn good dam. Until it's not. And at that point, people are gonna complain about all the same **** that's been listed before. At that point, it really doesn't matter if it's the government or private entities, they're gonna be bitched about. It's not a great "jumping off" point at all.

So let's talk about why corners were cut. You're in charge of keeping a job on time, on budget. Your boss(the people) want safe, but they don't want to pay for it. And in this case, it's Texas, so they damned sure don't want government regulations! It's a tight game, so you follow the guidelines by the book.

And then you look and realize there's next to no regulations to follow. Damn... your job just got easier. So you build happily, cheaply. The freedom loving Texans sing your praises. A few decades later, some jerk writes in some law saying you need to do something about that. And then a Hurricane hits, But not before a cheetoh decides to roll back the law saying you should do something about that.

Texas loves their freedom. So much, they made sure their safety was an option. When pressed, the federal government did try to correct that. Only to be written out.

None the less... it seems like someone in the government did try to write legislation that addressed infrastructure and rising sea levels.

Anyone remember that?

netherlands is BELOW SEALEVEL and if sealevel rises if im not mistaken a few feet it would still be dry

it will have to take a literal tsunami or asteroid to flood it.

let me tell you something i live on the 2nd floor if the levies would totally fail, the water level will just be shy of entering my home. the people who live beneath me are screwed

basiclaly i am not syaing the huricane is the governments fault.

but the flooding can be stopped! most of the damage comes form the flooding!

netherlands is BELOW SEALEVEL and if sealevel rises if im not mistaken a few feet it would still be dry

it will have to take a literal tsunami or asteroid to flood it.

let me tell you something i live on the 2nd floor if the levies would totally fail, the water level will just be shy of entering my home. the people who live beneath me are screwed

IT'S ONLY GOOD UNTIL IT'S NOT.

And in Houston, the local government decided they didn't want people tellin dem how to develop 'dems lands. And so they didn't. And then the feds got the balls up to say "Hey guys... this is BS. fix it", only for the cheetoh to come down and say "nah, it's fien"

<insert billions in socialized safety and recovery groups>

disclaimer, i do not know the specifics of texas, what kinda levees and infrastructure it has. but i do know about katrina and netherlands.\

but i would bet that, the flooding could have been prevented!

About one third of the Netherlands lies below sea level, with the lowest point being 22 feet (6.7 meters) below sea level. Meanwhile, the highest point is about a thousand feet above sea level.

google

i live near the coast so i think my floor on the 2nd floor is just above sealevel

disclaimer, i do not know the specifics of texas, what kinda levees and infrastructure it has. but i do know about katrina and netherlands.\

but i would bet that, the flooding could have been prevented!

There will always be a bigger and better(or worse in this situation). This certainly could have been mitigated, if not prevented. Had the local government, which is CLOSEST TO THE PEOPLE, agreed that certain safety precautions should be taken, it wouldn't be that bad.

But they didn't. Welcome to freedom.

There will always be a bigger and better(or worse in this situation). This certainly could have been mitigated, if not prevented. Had the local government, which is CLOSEST TO THE PEOPLE, agreed that certain safety precautions should be taken, it wouldn't be that bad.

But they didn't. Welcome to freedom.

i have a book here in dutch about the flood control and such. but i just googled it. and brought me to wikipedia page in english

The sea defenses are continuously being strengthened and raised to meet the safety norm of a flood chance of once every 10,000 years for the west, which is the economic heart and most densely populated part of the Netherlands, and once every 4,000 years for less densely populated areas. The primary flood defenses are tested against this norm every five years. In 2010 about 800 km of dikes out of a total of 3,500 km failed to meet the norm. This does not mean there is an immediate flooding risk; it is the result of the norm's becoming more strict from the results of scientific research on, for example, wave action and sea level rise.[

so tell me how was katrina again!?

ofcourse a meteor could hit off the coast and we are screwed. or an epic level earthquake. but catrina and andrew would be nothing. only damage from the wind!

one thing i know when those insurance check start commming in the stocfk of american truck adn suv companies will go sky high!

dodge, gmc, cheverlote and ford! maybe i am forgetting 1 or 2!

the more i read and see about this, the more it seems like it could have been prevented, with simple flood management systems. 1 of the true jobs of government!

we can either blame it on this "mythical man made climate change" or you can start building for the next storm. whoch can be in 5 years in another place.

that is enough time to prepare and build infrastructure, but big government cannot have that.

the flooding should never happen at such a large scale.

or you can just sign the climate accord waste billions of dollars on it and watch flooding happen again and again and again and again! and then double down again and sign the alaska accord, triple down and sign the himilaya accord. you get the point