What's new

How Dante's injury could impact the Jazz future

Locke is great at finding stats that fit his current opinion on the team. His current opinion on the team is always the company line that they want to push. ALWAYS. And he will find #'s to fit the new company line as soon as it changes. This is the guy that was loving Kanter till he was traded then he had #'s to show he's not worth it. While he was here he had #'s to show he was a good fit and deserved his minutes. His stats are virtually worthless because he only hunts down the ones that back his standing. And dismisses any that don't, until they serve his purpose that is.
There is no doubt you're going to get some bias. Locke does work for the Jazz. But I don't think they all sit around in a room and tell him what to say. I think he likes the players personally and wants to say positive things about them. I think he liked Kanter too. He burned Kanter because Kanter was a dick when he left town. I'm not aware of any other player that he's done that with and to be fair, none of the other sports writers who travel with the team behave any differently. Their jobs depend upon access to the players and coaches. They can't afford to get on their bad side.
You guys all act like it's some big coordinated conspiracy. You're entitled to your opinions, but I just think that's absurd. Cherry picking stats? That's like the national pastime on this board. No one is going to believe Trey is a great defender based on a few stats. They are more likely to conclude Gobert and Favors can make anybody look good. I just think Locke is one of the hardest working media guys in the league. Sometimes he can be a little irritating, but I appreciate the effort and the information he provides. I also think some posters have a personal dislike for him so they use any excuse to blast him.

^Agreed, stitches. This is a difficult situation for the FO, who now either needs to put even more resources into the PG position (on top of #5, #14, & #21 picks) in order to compete & hopefully increase our chances of retaining Hayward long-term or stand pat & hope that our current PG's are enough to get us into the playoffs &/or that Exum returns (at least close) to 100%. I think moving Hayward (given that the return is good enough to make it worth doing) if the team doesn't appear playoff caliber by this upcoming trade deadline (so as to maximize his trade value) may need to be seriously considered. Glad DL is the one making these decisions, as they are difficult ones & vital to the long-term future of this team.

Yeah, the FO is in a really ****ty position right now. I would say it's pretty hard to navigate this one and I don't really have an answer that I'm 100% comfortable with. Maybe the George Hill one comes the closest to it, but we will be losing assets in order to get it done :(

Yeah, the FO is in a really ****ty position right now. I would say it's pretty hard to navigate this one and I don't really have an answer that I'm 100% comfortable with. Maybe the George Hill one comes the closest to it, but we will be losing assets in order to get it done :(
What about beverly or holiday? Any chance at getting them?

Mike Conley is kind of a pipe-dream since there will be a ton of teams willing to pay him max or close to max. On the other hand the option I'm beginning to like more and more and more is George Hill. He has 2 more years on his contract and will be perfect stop-gap/vet option for us. I liked him before Exum's injury and I absolutely love him right now. I think if we can get him for a first rounder and Trey Burke or something of that sort, I'd do it.

As great as Conley would be on this team, I agree that he is highly unlikely to willingly to come to Utah if we aren't already legitimate contenders (& in order to become that we would likely have to had to already have acquired a starting caliber PG in which case it wouldn't make sense to bring in Conley). As far as Hill, I also agree that he is almost a perfect candidate as his contract extends beyond next year (which serves as insurance in the event that Exum is unable to contribute a year from now) & he is a solid veteran who would assist in Exum's development while helping the team win now (& the following year). Unfortunately, I think it would likely take more than what you suggested in order to acquire him as IND is likely looking to be competitive in a weak EC & doesn't have a readily available replacement (nor do we in order to offer in return). Even if the price is (reasonably) steep, he could ultimately be worth it tho.

What about beverly or holiday? Any chance at getting them?

Beverley just signed new contract, I don't know if they'd be willing to move him without needing to move him. They are not into tax, so there is really no need to get rid off a useful rotation player when trying to contend, especially when they don't know what will happen with Lawson.

Similar with Holiday - they just got a new coach and unless that coach absolutely in advance doesn't think he can work with that guy, I don't see them moving him. He's their starting PG when healthy and he's pretty good. The biggest problem with him is he's injury prone... so... does it make sense even for us to get a stop-gap PG and replacement for an injured player who himself can't stay on the floor much? I don't know... It's worth considering for sure.

I'm more in favor of the Beverley idea, if he's available, but I doubt he would be.

I don't think the Jazz can afford to give up nice assets for a guy that's pushing 30.(remember the nets trade) The Jazz still have to think long term while trying to win now. I don't think Hill is the answer. We need a guy that will peak with our team not before it.

I don't think the Jazz can afford to give up nice assets for a guy that's pushing 30.(remember the nets trade) The Jazz still have to think long term while trying to win now. I don't think Hill is the answer. We need a guy that will peak with our team not before it.

I think it would actually be great. Go get Hill so he can be a vet to this young team, he'll be a good piece in the starting lineup as well. He can help Exum once he's back from injury next year, then in 2 or 3 year when our guys should be peaking Exum can step in and be an important piece.

We are not talking about giving up too much. It would most probably be Burke+one first rounder(probably lottery protected). You also have to weigh in the effect it will have on our chance to keep Hayward/showing him how good we can be with a good PG/.

We are not talking about giving up too much. It would most probably be Burke+one first rounder(probably lottery protected). You also have to weigh in the effect it will have on our chance to keep Hayward/showing him how good we can be with a good PG/.

I agree we need a pg but I don't think it's Hill. Hill would make us really good now but there is also a chance we are looking for his replacement right when we can't afford it. 27 is as old as I think the Jazz should go. Even if it means a player that is right now inferior to the older player.

Nor after.

I agree we need a pg but I don't think it's Hill. Hill would make us really good now but there is also a chance we are looking for his replacement right when we can't afford it. 27 is as old as I think the Jazz should go. Even if it means a player that is right now inferior to the older player.

Very few players get better after about age 26-28. Most of them are in their stride at that point and what you see is what you get.

Wouldn't his replacement be Exum?

Very few players get better after about age 26-28. Most of them are in their stride at that point and what you see is what you get.
Yeah and most fall off a cliff after 33-34. There aren't many players that remain starting caliber players in their mid 30's. We need to be looking at mid 20s, imo.
Wouldn't his replacement be Exum?
Before he got hurt I think there was a very good chance that he could take over in 3 years and become our guy just before we begin to peak. Now Exum is set back a year and some athleticism. The earliest he is ready is 4/5 years from now if ever. When we are peaking we will have committed assets to a 35 year old Hill so we have to hope Exum becomes that dude. Do we take that gamble? or do we get a dude that is 24-27 to cover our bases. Hope for the best plan for the worst.

This doesn't hurt us this year a ton as far as on the court goes. Burke is a better offensive threat than Exum right now.

You mean about every 1 out of 3 games or so? On the nights when Trey shoots 1-11 or 2-20, I'd say we are better offensively with Exum, because he isn't taking shots away from other players like when Trey is shooting us out of games. Hopefully Trey can improve his selection and limit his shots this year, otherwise I'm not convinced we're better overall offensively, or if we are it ain't by much.

There is no doubt you're going to get some bias. Locke does work for the Jazz. But I don't think they all sit around in a room and tell him what to say. I think he likes the players personally and wants to say positive things about them. I think he liked Kanter too. He burned Kanter because Kanter was a dick when he left town. I'm not aware of any other player that he's done that with and to be fair, none of the other sports writers who travel with the team behave any differently. Their jobs depend upon access to the players and coaches. They can't afford to get on their bad side.
You guys all act like it's some big coordinated conspiracy. You're entitled to your opinions, but I just think that's absurd. Cherry picking stats? That's like the national pastime on this board. No one is going to believe Trey is a great defender based on a few stats. They are more likely to conclude Gobert and Favors can make anybody look good. I just think Locke is one of the hardest working media guys in the league. Sometimes he can be a little irritating, but I appreciate the effort and the information he provides. I also think some posters have a personal dislike for him so they use any excuse to blast him.

It's ok, David. We don't hate you or anything, but please don't expect us to consider your opinion to be objective, when we all know very well that it isn't.

Get baby Stockton, lure daddy into coaching.

Yea... not. We don't need another undersized PG, who may or may not develop...
And while involving Daddy Stock in the Jazz org may be a great idea...
probably would not be to a significant degree...
He's got family and Gonzaga, and, from what I seem to remember, was one of the record quickest exits from Utah, once done.
Ya know, preferred a warmer, sunnier, less windy climate...

Even though I like Mike Conley, Mark Gasol stated post contract in interviews that he was talking to Mike and they were promising each other to stay in Memphis and ride it out. Mike Conley strikes me as someone who isn't DeAndre.

. Hopefully Trey can improve his selection and limit his shots this year, otherwise I'm not convinced we're better overall offensively, or if we are it ain't by much.

But we are not simply replacing dante with trey.
We also will have hood for more games and he should improve.
Rudy will start more games and play more minutes and will improve.
Burks will play allot more (probably take some if dantes minutes too) and will improve.
Snyder gets another off-season and another year of coaching and should improve
Hayward and favors should improve
Our bench is better.

Plus I think the refs give us a bit more respect this year too