What's new

How did Exum look last night?

I don’t want him taking contested jumpers and his release time and mechanics are going to make that tough.

If he hits 40% on open set threes he’s a nightmare to close out to.

Not throwing Ricky under the bus but that’s been an issue with him. When he isn’t hitting you can ignore him... and he isn’t much of a threat to drive.
I agree. Exum will probably never be a pull up jump shooter or shooting contested shots, nor does he need to. All he needs is to hit his open set shots to open up the court for him and his teammates.

[QUOTE = "Quin's Murderface, post: 1569540, member: 4685"] Bueno, ya ha tenido éxito en lo que va de temporada. Y sin embargo, sigues intentando crear un nivel de jugadas negativas que no existen con más regularidad que otros jugadores. El objetivo de mis publicaciones sobre este tema es analizar las obras en sí. Él no está haciendo jugadas descaradas una y otra vez, a menos que esté dispuesto a decir que todos los jugadores de la NBA lo hacen, ya que todos continúan cometiendo errores ocasionales.

En serio, ¿cuántos TOs estúpidos tuvieron nuestros muchachos en el último juego? Joe, Ricky, Donovan, Rudy, Favs, Jerebko, Crowder estaban haciendo cosas por las que Exum sería asesinado. Lo han estado haciendo durante toda la temporada. Exum es asesinado por un TO y pasa que las personas sienten que no fueron colocadas lo suficientemente bien por algún estándar imaginario que solo parece aplicarse a él. No es racional. Es una reacción emocional y poca o ninguna introspección. También hay un montón de orgullo y malos sentimientos en la línea de discusiones con otros fanáticos, que creo que alimenta una buena parte de eso.

Solo trato de tratar a Exum como cualquier otro jugador. Él comete errores, pero no son y no han sido en general fuera de lo común. Es la atención que cada uno recibe lo que ha salido de lo común. La reacción a este último juego fue un gran ejemplo de eso, pero lamentablemente no es nada único. [/ QUOTE]
He is treated infinitely better than he has shown up to now.

I was a doubter until summer league. But never a hater... just didn’t see enough flashes and saw worrisome things.

Saw it in summer league and it looked good and I was super hopeful. Glad to see him building on it.

Nah, you're not a hater.

But there are a lot of posters with really bad takes. I'll use(again) the glaring example of St. Cry calling Donovan our fourth or fifth best player.

I could be viewed as a Favors/Burks/Hood hater but I always thought they could be good to very good given health and the right situation and made sure to compliment them when they were on their game. And Favors has proved me wrong after my doubts earlier this season.

But Dante's been in the league four years with almost nothing(stats-wise) to show for it and a lot of dudes figured he was going to end up a bust. Even after summer league haters were hating in the face of obvious great play, improvement and physical growth. And then when he came back a few weeks ago and had gotten even bigger and still showed glimpses of his summer league form haters were STILL hating. I don't get the lack of talent-recognition.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the early game issues (he didn't have any TO's but a couple teams pressured him pretty heavily and made it look a bit shaky) were anything other than rust. He had reportedly worked on his handle a ton over the summer and looked fine in preseason. It hasn't been an issue since like the 3rd game back and he's been using his left quite a bit. Last night he looked pretty capable of running sets. It's just a matter of letting him do it more often. You can tell that Quin still doesn't trust him to handle the ball and run the offense as much as Ricky. I think the nice thing about the Jazz offense is that any of the three guards can run a terminal action like PnR. The great thing about letting Dante do this more is that he can create great shots quite often because of his physical advantages. If he's off ball you lose a big part of his skillset, and put a ton of pressure on other guys who don't have the physical advantages that Dante has. Dante has shown a willingness to pass to a fault in previous seasons. I think people forget that we all wanted him to take it to the hoop more often. Now he's doing it quite a bit and that will force teams to collapse and will open up passes.

If I was another team I'd be wary of trying to guard Exum full court with his speed. Even when he looked rusty he drew a couple fouls by guys being too aggressive. And he's always a threat to just blow by and get a layup or kick to a corner three (he's done that a few times this year so far). I've always thought that where his ball handling issues were most important was just in tight spaces in the half court. Donovan and Ricky both have more tricks in those areas and change speeds better. They probably also have it easier because they are both smaller.

All this speed and he doesn't really know how to breathe. Playback closeup images. He takes shallow breaths as if one deep breath would mean his demise. It's why he's always sucking wind even after a few trips up and down the court. I'm shocked the training staff doesn't get him breathing right.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Quin's Murderface, post: 1569540, member: 4685"] Bueno, ya ha tenido éxito en lo que va de temporada. Y sin embargo, sigues intentando crear un nivel de jugadas negativas que no existen con más regularidad que otros jugadores. El objetivo de mis publicaciones sobre este tema es analizar las obras en sí. Él no está haciendo jugadas descaradas una y otra vez, a menos que esté dispuesto a decir que todos los jugadores de la NBA lo hacen, ya que todos continúan cometiendo errores ocasionales.

En serio, ¿cuántos TOs estúpidos tuvieron nuestros muchachos en el último juego? Joe, Ricky, Donovan, Rudy, Favs, Jerebko, Crowder estaban haciendo cosas por las que Exum sería asesinado. Lo han estado haciendo durante toda la temporada. Exum es asesinado por un TO y pasa que las personas sienten que no fueron colocadas lo suficientemente bien por algún estándar imaginario que solo parece aplicarse a él. No es racional. Es una reacción emocional y poca o ninguna introspección. También hay un montón de orgullo y malos sentimientos en la línea de discusiones con otros fanáticos, que creo que alimenta una buena parte de eso.

Solo trato de tratar a Exum como cualquier otro jugador. Él comete errores, pero no son y no han sido en general fuera de lo común. Es la atención que cada uno recibe lo que ha salido de lo común. La reacción a este último juego fue un gran ejemplo de eso, pero lamentablemente no es nada único. [/ QUOTE]
He is treated infinitely better than he has shown up to now.

Spanish? I feel like I just went into some kind of alternate reality. I speak french so I feel like I can almost understand some of the spanish. Anyway, I don't think he's been treated better than he has shown up. There's a great argument that he was treated terribly last year and minutes were given to a mercenary vet (Mack) who didn't really deserve them. But that has been argued up and down. I don't think anyone would argue that Exum has been given a lot of freedom to make mistakes no matter what your opinion of coaching styles is.

Having a player with elite speed and length combined with vision can really break open an offense. Look at the play @ 0:21, you're forcing rotations that the defense is not ready for as they might be in PNR coverage. This is why I thinking letting Exum walk would be a mistake because if it comes together (and I think it will), he is an absolute difference maker.
Exum was great. Let's hope he can start playing that well, consistently.

Exum was great. Let's hope he can start playing that well, consistently.
If so the Jazz are officially the luckiest team in the NBA with Gobert #27 and Mitchell falling far enough that we could trade up to get him, then having a high lottery pick who has spent his first 4 seasons mostly injured emerging as a strong asset. It would be one of the greatest stories in NBA franchise history.

He does some great things and has great length. I wonder if he will ever be a knock down shooter, but I can see him as a great defender. That length and his quickness is solid on d. I just wish he would become more reliable from 3, it would really open the floor.

Reactions: 8
His shot is almost as bad as Lonzo's, but give him time. If he can become adequate from the outside he will be a real threat because of his speed and court vision.

I agree. Exum will probably never be a pull up jump shooter or shooting contested shots, nor does he need to. All he needs is to hit his open set shots to open up the court for him and his teammates.

Nah I think we gotta shoot a little higher. If Exum can't hit a mid-range pull-up he can be exposed in a playoff series by just laying off him on-ball. Giant Tony Parker is what I think he can become.

Nah I think we gotta shoot a little higher. If Exum can't hit a mid-range pull-up he can be exposed in a playoff series by just laying off him on-ball. Giant Tony Parker is what I think he can become.

I like this comparison, a 6'6 TP that plays D (minus the diva mentality). TP came into the league with no jump shot either but once he mastered the mid range he was unstoppable.

I like this comparison, a 6'6 TP that plays D (minus the diva mentality). TP came into the league with no jump shot either but once he mastered the mid range he was unstoppable.

Basically one of the greatest point guards of all time. I would be happy if that is how exum turned out.

Man, one good game and Exum's ceiling is turning from Shawn Livingston to 6'6 Tony Parker :eek:. Calm down you crazies.
In the spirit of being excited, I think everything we've seen this year -- from summer league/preseason, to his return -- is suggesting a trajectory towards this being a consistent kind of play for Dante, rather than a single game anomaly. Even the first couple of games back he was contributing pretty efficiently and looking good foundationally, albeit with some rust. The important thing is that each game some of that rust seems to be knocking off, which helps the theory that it is in fact rust, and not just Dante having more fundamental issues.

I get the plug for some reasoned restraint, and the reason-leaning side of me says to agree, but **** it - I'm letting myself go all in on Dante.

Man, one good game and Exum's ceiling is turning from Shawn Livingston to 6'6 Tony Parker :eek:. Calm down you crazies.

I dont think anyone said Livingston was his ceiling. Comparisons with a young TP are as much to do with his weaknesses than anything else.

You got that bottle of haterade all full up I see, ready to spray that **** everywhere like you celebrating something.

In the spirit of being excited, I think everything we've seen this year -- from summer league/preseason, to his return -- is suggesting a trajectory towards this being a consistent kind of play for Dante, rather than a single game anomaly. Even the first couple of games back he was contributing pretty efficiently and looking good foundationally, albeit with some rust. The important thing is that each game some of that rust seems to be knocking off, which helps the theory that it is in fact rust, and not just Dante having more fundamental issues.

I get the plug for some reasoned restraint, and the reason-leaning side of me says to agree, but **** it - I'm letting myself go all in on Dante.

Agreed. So far, in each game he has played he has looked good much more often than bad. He is making me have no choice but to believe in him. Hard to doubt him with as good as he has looked on both ends of the floor. Really nice to see him knocking down 3’s last game. I think he is gonna force quin to play him more.

Agreed. So far, in each game he has played he has looked good much more often than bad. He is making me have no choice but to believe in him. Hard to doubt him with as good as he has looked on both ends of the floor. Really nice to see him knocking down 3’s last game. I think he is gonna force quin to play him more.
I'm impressed that you are allowing the evidence to change your opinion, and that you speak out about it. Not everybody does that.

I'm impressed that you are allowing the evidence to change your opinion, and that you speak out about it. Not everybody does that.

Thanks man. I try to admit when I’m wrong. (Someone just convinced me that I was wrong in the playoff bus thread too)

The only thing similar about Exum and Parker are their ability to get to the rim. Exum will never have the mid range game of Parker. But Exum has the length to be a better defender and Parker was never a threat from 3 which is still within the possibility of Exum. I am hopeful Exum becomes good at finishing at the rim but Parker was incredible at finishing tough shots at the rim.