What's new

How long are you going to tollerate losing?

Jeditiger

Hoppy Goodness
Contributor
So, we have some losing ahead of us, that is pretty clear. While (if, hopefully) the younger players develop, the growing pains will be frequent and persistent. My question is, how long are you willing to tollerate losing? Considering our general fan expectations, I don't think it will be much more than 1 season. I'd even put the over/under at 1.5 seasons. As long as they give their all, I'll be satisfied for the most part. But the real measure of success and improvement is winning. And that is what I want. And sooner rather than later.

I guess I'm saying I expect at most a repeat of something like '04-'05 and '05-'06.

And this thread is not a referendum on Coach Corbin, so please stay on topic.

So, we have some losing ahead of us, that is pretty clear. While (if, hopefully) the younger players develop, the growing pains will be frequent and persistent. My question is, how long are you willing to tollerate losing? Considering our general fan expectations, I don't think it will be much more than 1 season. I'd even put the over/under at 1.5 seasons. As long as they give their all, I'll be satisfied for the most part. But the real measure of success and improvement is winning. And that is what I want. And sooner rather than later.

I guess I'm saying I expect at most a repeat of something like '04-'05 and '05-'06.

And this thread is not a referendum on Coach Corbin, so please stay on topic.

Agreed with the highlighted part.

This is like the 2004/05 season when Boozer and AK were injured a lot and the Jazz ended up with the 4th worst record, then ultimately drafted DWill. This year is the year to do it. By this time next year, hopefully we'll have another future all star on our roster. We'll also have the cap room to extend both Hayward and Favors, and add free agents.

All the Jazz have to do is build up their bench in a year or so and that alone will add 10 wins. Within a few years, the Jazz should be one of the top 3 teams in the west.

I want to lose a lot this year, get a potential superstar in the draft, then look to have a winning season in 14-15.

This season is easy to tolerate. If they are losing and the young guys suck, then they will end up with a high lottery pick and the Jazz know what they have to work with. I'm guessing not all the young guys will just suck though, but at least they'll know who to focus on, or at least have a better idea.

If they are winning, then the young guys are exceeding their expectations and the future looks good.

And with the best of both worlds, if they are losing but due to the bench yet the young guys are playing well, then they have a high lottery pick and a nucleus that could develop into a contender.

It's next season where losing will be more worrisome.

This season is easy to tolerate. If they are losing and the young guys suck, then they will end up with a high lottery pick and the Jazz know what they have to work with. I'm guessing not all the young guys will just suck though, but at least they'll know who to focus on, or at least have a better idea.

If they are winning, then the young guys are exceeding their expectations and the future looks good.

And with the best of both worlds, if they are losing but due to the bench yet the young guys are playing well, then they have a high lottery pick and a nucleus that could develop into a contender.

It's next season where losing will be more worrisome.

It kinda cracks me up everytime I think about how mad we were when GSW tanked hard to try and grab Barnes....

But now we'll be using their players (Jefferson, Bierdrins) to tank hard ourselves to try and grab Jabari...

hahaha... oh the irony...

Last edited:
GSW purposefully threw games. Jazz are developing young players but I don't think it means we will be trying to lose. Can't see the Jazz trying to lose games the way Golden State did.

There's a big difference between rebuilding and trying to develop young players and tanking for a higher draft pick.

GSW purposefully threw games. Jazz are developing young players but I don't think it means we will be trying to lose. Can't see the Jazz trying to lose games the way Golden State did.

There's a big difference between rebuilding and trying to develop young players and tanking for a higher draft pick.

LOL.. I dunno man... With what we're doing, we're setting ourselves up in a position to "go young" for the entire season.

GSW "go young" with their final 20 games....

I don't really see a big difference ... to be honest witchu

I see a huge difference. The Jazz are going to let the 5 guys get enough time that they can be properly evaluated.
The year is all about building chemistry, gaining experience, and evaluation.

The FO will determine who the keepers are and then use their assets (players, draft picks, and cap space) to cash in on a talented draft and a monster FA.

Not at all what GSW did. They simply tanked, period. Our FO deserves more respect than to classify the strategies as alike.

I see a huge difference. The Jazz are going to let the 5 guys get enough time that they can be properly evaluated.
The year is all about building chemistry, gaining experience, and evaluation.

The FO will determine who the keepers are and then use their assets (players, draft picks, and cap space) to cash in on a talented draft and a monster FA.

Not at all what GSW did. They simply tanked, period. Our FO deserves more respect than to classify the strategies as alike.

Well yeah there is a huge difference in that sense, but the main goal is exactly the same - get a top #10 lotto pick.

You can talk about us wanting to give young guys experience, etc, but then GSW also gave Klay plenty of time to play, same with Jenkins, etc.

At the end of the day though, it's all the pick. I'm not complaining though, it's just how the system is set up. It is what it is.

I respectfully disagree.
It is not all about the pick. It's all about evaluation. The FO needs to know what they've got so they can make smart decisions in the draft and/or FA.

I respectfully disagree.
It is not all about the pick. It's all about evaluation. The FO needs to know what they've got so they can make smart decisions in the draft and/or FA.

I guess I'm looking at it from a different perspective...

We kinda got ****ed by the GSW tanking last year... fine, take on the chin, part of the system, whatever.

Now we're doing this "rebuilding" thing... I feel kinda dirty, kinda like we're saying "**** YOU" to the whole league.. kinda like this:

"Hahaha... you guys trying to win and make money and ****?? We've got young guys so we have the perfect excuse to "evaluate them" and oopsadaisy what do you know? It's the best draft class in a decade!!!! We're going young and grabbing Wiggins/Jabari & whoever falls to us... suck on that suckers!!!!"