What's new

How to real estate

Carbon13

Hey guys,

I just finished a trip in Oregon where I visited Crater Lake, Bend, Eugene, the Central and Northern Coast, Astoria, and Portland. It was AMAZING! Along the way, I stayed in hostels and Bed and Breakfasts owned by real people. As an aside, I would highly recommend this method of travel. In Bend, the B&B I stayed at had the best waffles I've ever tasted. Anyway, thats not here nor there, the point I'm trying to make is I encountered a lot people making it seemingly work in the real estate market. So for you JazzFanzers who have pulled it off, how'd you do it?

Heh, sorry if thats too blunt. But all my initial reading on real estate leads me to believe its a complicated endeavor. First, I shouldnt view a house as an investment. Its simply a pile of stuff that gains roughly 3.5% annually, whereas, in the stock market I can average 8% without worrying about water damage or UV rays on my shingles. But if I can account for repairs, insurance, the cost of rent versus a mortgage, property taxes, and inflation. I may be able to make decent investment.

In speaking with the cool hipster couple who owned the house I stayed in in Portland, or P-Town as the kids say these days, they told me not to buy in the burbs. They said real estate there tends to go in tiers where you buy a house for x amount of dollars but its value tends to be diluted by the next tier of houses getting built next door. They told me they bought their sweet mid century modern bungalow near the city center when it was near a crack den and watched as the neighborhood gentrified over the period of 10-years. They suggested I do the same in Houston. The next part I dont mean offensively whatsoever, just echoing their thoughts, but I must admit it made some sense. They told me to follow the gays. Basically young gay neighborhoods tend to get nice real quick and are great places to live.

I think I am going to start small. Id like to buy a place that I can afford at least 30% down. I am going to assume 3% costs on the actual value of the house for annual repairs, and high property taxes. I live in Houston, where there are no income taxes, but they make up for it in property taxes.

Im thinking of buying a ~1000 sq ft condo in the Montrose district. If you arent familiar with Houston its a central portion of the city with a lot of art, museums, coffee shops, and yes, gays (I dont mean it offensively, I love the gays and marriage equality!!). It has a west coast feel to it. I think I could pay it down relatively quickly and eventually turn it into a rental property somewhere down the road.

Have any of you done rentals? Is it time consuming gawdawful work? I have a pretty consuming job I like a lot, but would have a difficult time playing landlord in addition, I think. Have you done rental agencies? How are they? Are my assumptions sound in terms of anticipated costs? What would you change or add in my analysis? For those of you successful at renting/real estate how'd you do it?!

Thank you so much Jazzfanz in advance!

You make money buying real estate when you buy it.
It's entirely about the deal you got. Be patient.
Learn to use sites like realtytrac to get in on foreclosures and pre-foreclosures.
Know what the f you are doing before jumping into something you can't get out of.
I've been a real estate developer for almost 25 years and there's a LOT to know.
It's not complicated, but patience is required to find the right deal.

Incidentally, speaking of Houston, I was the developer of a few projects on Lake Conroe way back in the day.
Also Galveston, South Padre Island, and Austin.

I like your gentrification idea. A lot of people in SLC talk about that, but watch out for the section 8 housing. That ain't gentrifying.

Buy a place next to someone who is running a business out of their home where comps in the neighborhood are selling for much higher than you can get that one for because nobody wants to live next to the trash bin. Look for something that has been listed for 5-6 months. Before you buy, report the neighbor house to the city and see if you can get results from the local PD. After you buy, report it every month until they either clean it up or move because the costs of getting a proper commercial site is too prohibitive.

I like your gentrification idea. A lot of people in SLC talk about that, but watch out for the section 8 housing. That ain't gentrifying.

Buy a place next to someone who is running a business out of their home where comps in the neighborhood are selling for much higher than you can get that one for because nobody wants to live next to the trash bin. Look for something that has been listed for 5-6 months. Before you buy, report the neighbor house to the city and see if you can get results from the local PD. After you buy, report it every month until they either clean it up or move because the costs of getting a proper commercial site is too prohibitive.

Be sure to set up camera to catch them dumping your garbage, shooting your windows with pellet guns, spelling the phrase **** YOU on your lawn with weed killer, stealing your garden hose repeatedly, etc. Ad nauseum.

Be sure to set up camera to catch them dumping your garbage, shooting your windows with pellet guns, spelling the phrase **** YOU on your lawn with weed killer, stealing your garden hose repeatedly, etc. Ad nauseum.

That's why you report them 2 weeks before you put an offer in.

Learn to use sites like realtytrac to get in on foreclosures and pre-foreclosures.
Know what the f you are doing before jumping into something you can't get out of.
I've been a real estate developer for almost 25 years and there's a LOT to know.

Thanks for the advice. Ill check that website you listed early and often. How do you know youre getting a good deal? Is there a rule of thumb for real estate like p/e ratios? Or is it more of intuitive thing and knowing the area well? Im thinking of starting small and paying it down aggressively. If I can get a manageable mortgage in a cool spot, I figure the mortgage is payed off as soon as the rent I receive exceeds my monthly mortgage cost + repairs + taxes. Is that an okay assumption?

That's some dirty **** right there.

The advice about being patient is good.

Thanks, One Love. I wasn't sure at first but since you endorse it I'm sure it's pretty solid advice. I originally figured being hasty and impulsive was the best way to play the real estate market.

Thanks, One Love. I wasn't sure at first but since you endorse it I'm sure it's pretty solid advice. I originally figured being hasty and impulsive was the best way to play the real estate market.

Fwiw, once you ****ing know what you're doing, the big money is going at light speed.

Me time.

I'm about to close a couple deals that will be among the biggest in Utah in decades.
No joke.

Hate time.

I agree with this, it's all about the deal, be patient.

My Dad has never bought any land or a house his whole life (just rented, we moved a lot). This past year he was approached by the guy that owns the 25 acres of land next to and around the house he is currently renting and offered him all of it for $300 an acre. ****ing steal.

I agree with this, it's all about the deal, be patient.

My Dad has never bought any land or a house his whole life (just rented, we moved a lot). This past year he was approached by the guy that owns the 25 acres of land next to and around the house he is currently renting and offered him all of it for $300 an acre. ****ing steal.

Wow.. that's amazing value.