What's new

How to real estate

When I was a kid there Glendale was considered the nice neighborhood. I didn't live in Glendale. Glendale was a suburb. I lived across the street from an air conditioning repair company and my street ended at I-80. The houses in Glendale were made out of brick.

I consider everything south of North temple and west of I-15 Gleandale cuz I don't know what else to call it. The problem out there is being separated from the city by transportation infrastructure. Rose park has some nice spots as well as Glendale but it's hard to get over the stigma when it just isn't that central. That may get better when the city finishes the 9th west streetcar and if they ever put one down 9th south but still only marginally. Homes out west will probably always lag behind those east of state, and those west of 7th east will lag behind those east of it. If you want to live in SLC you should probably buy the farthest east home you can afford.

Thanks a lot! I'm really enamored with the idea, and I will be researching in hopes of finding the perfect parcel before the end of the summer. :)

I just spent the weekend in Monroe. I don't know prices down there but it seemed like a fun area. Lots of open space, kids riding ATVs dirt bikes and lawnmowers down the street. A parcel close to there seems like it would be cool.

I consider everything south of North temple and west of I-15 Gleandale cuz I don't know what else to call it. The problem out there is being separated from the city by transportation infrastructure. Rose park has some nice spots as well as Glendale but it's hard to get over the stigma when it just isn't that central. That may get better when the city finishes the 9th west streetcar and if they ever put one down 9th south but still only marginally. Homes out west will probably always lag behind those east of state, and those west of 7th east will lag behind those east of it. If you want to live in SLC you should probably buy the farthest east home you can afford.

Almost put a bid on a house on 9th west and around 9th south that was a good deal. I kind of delayed because I couldnt get over the fact it was on a busy street and west of 1-15. But that would have been nice if the trolley car ran that close to me. It was across from that international peace park which looks nice in the day time but I am guessing is a little sketchy at night.

Almost put a bid on a house on 9th west and around 9th south that was a good deal. I kind of delayed because I couldnt get over the fact it was on a busy street and west of 1-15. But that would have been nice if the trolley car ran that close to me. It was across from that international peace park which looks nice in the day time but I am guessing is a little sketchy at night.

I almost bought a house right there. It was pretty nice. Next door neighbors house was big and looked over what would have been our backyard. I found out the guy that just bought it was on the sex offender registry for sodomy of a child. TWICE! Ten years apart. I have no idea why that dude wasn't still in prison. Blessing in disguise really. I like where I am now.

I'm talking Houston market specifically since a lot of jobs there are tied up in the oil and mining industries. Oil prices drop, revs drop, market caps drop, high paying jobs get shed and mortgages can't be paid/people have to move away. That type of thing. I know a lot of companies are still holding out hope that prices rebound and so they haven't started making cuts yet to the level they'll need to. If that doesn't happen.....

I don't know though really, I've read about Houston and how they are getting more diversified. But every time I've looked into a company from Houston....say one that's being counted in finance instead of energy.....they are really just financing energy. Still connected.

Theres a lot related to energy out here still. Houston has diversified with the largest med center in the world and NASA but oil is still overwhelmingly the primary industry out here. Ive been seeing houses pop up in the loop a lot lately but havent seen prices subside. A lot people want to live inside the loop, including those retiring and dont. I like what the couple in Portland told me. I think living near city centers offer the most upside. I might start small though since im single and can do so while building a little bit of equity. Eventually I would hope to rent it out.

Sketchy would put it mildly.

Disclosure: I do not, nor have ever, purchased houses as investment. Others would know more about that segment.
I buy raw land (only in trophy locales), get the required entitlements, and either develop lots or build condos, etc.

I met a guy who claimed to make 20 % on the lots and 20% on the houses for residential subdivisions he developed. Not a bad gig if you can do it.

Disclosure: I do not, nor have ever, purchased houses as investment. Others would know more about that segment.
I buy raw land (only in trophy locales), get the required entitlements, and either develop lots or build condos, etc.

If you don't mind my asking, why not? I don't mean it antagonistically Im just genuinely curious. Do you view houses as a bad investment, or at your level, are you looking for bigger fish to fry?

Also, Im looking forward to hearing about your upcoming investment! If its big enough, could you just buy the Jazz and be Utah's version of Mark Cuban? I'm all for an all Wildcats NBA team. Would be studly!!

If you don't mind my asking, why not? I don't mean it antagonistically Im just genuinely curious. Do you view houses as a bad investment, or at your level, are you looking for bigger fish to fry?

Also, Im looking forward to hearing about your upcoming investment! If its big enough, could you just buy the Jazz and be Utah's version of Mark Cuban? I'm all for an all Wildcats NBA team. Would be studly!!

Not enough money in it as a comparison. Not really worthwhile for me.
I don't even really spec homes on lots I create.. Again, not worth it.

Is it in the SLC area? Is it something exciting? :p

Nah, nothing exciting from a "thing to do" perspective. Just a couple of MASSIVE projects that will each be their own city/municipality. In key locations but will require the development of airports, hospitals, schools, all the things a city needs. But I take down the entirety of the lands and master plan it all.

I won't hint, at this time, where these new cities will be within Utah (but it's not random spots within nothingness).

Nah, nothing exciting from a "thing to do" perspective. Just a couple of MASSIVE projects that will each be their own city/municipality. In key locations but will require the development of airports, hospitals, schools, all the things a city needs. But I take down the entirety of the lands and master plan it all.

I won't hint, at this time, where these new cities will be within Utah (but it's not random spots within nothingness).

Ooo, let's guess and you can tell us who is closest.

West of Nephi and NE of Mona are my guesses.

Also, since you are making the cities will you also be hiring the new city staff? Where can I send my resume? Tia.

Ooo, let's guess and you can tell us who is closest.

West of Nephi and NE of Mona are my guesses.

Also, since you are making the cities will you also be hiring the new city staff? Where can I send my resume? Tia.

gotta blindfold yourself and spin around three times first

pin-tail-on-donkey.jpg