What's new

I just think it's funny

Just curious, where were you all these years calling for Deron to be traded because we weren't a contender?
I'm pretty sure your just trying to illicit responses and if so I'm just feeding that but here we go anyway.

Deron is/was a piece a center piece to building a title contender and even Booz (not center piece but a key piece just like Big Al) can be given the right price and more importantly the other pieces around him. That is what I believe greg was saying given the other pieces around DWill the Jazz weren't a true contender but borderline just a couple of pieces/players away from being one.

An example would be the Fakers weren't a contender once Kobe forced out Shaq and he wasn't able to get the Fakers back until the right pieces got put back around in Gasol and to a lesser extend a role player in Fisher, also using Odom which they got from the Shaq trade and the draft they got Bynum.
The difference is the landscape of the NBA is different now with the hole LeBron and Mello thing and LA being a big market Kobe wasn't as a real threat to leave unlike DWill leaving Utah, well that and nobody was giving away a Gasol type player (top 1 or 2 at his position a year or 2 into his max contract) while out right releasing a vet PG that was perfect for the system (example would be getting a Durant or even a Dirk and then Porty releasing Mathews to come back to the Jazz).

Combining with what has already been said and your refusal to acknowledge the points that Booz is a good at times very good PF just not worth the contract amount and/or years given his history and defense Utah as constructed wasn't a fit for him any longer. As well as just losing him wasn't the cause of the current situation the Jazz find themselves in, he didn't leave in a vacuum and not have several other pieces leave to other teams as well.

Combining with what has already been said and your refusal to acknowledge the points that Booz is a good at times very good PF just not worth the contract amount and/or years given his history and defense Utah as constructed wasn't a fit for him any longer. As well as just losing him wasn't the cause of the current situation the Jazz find themselves in, he didn't leave in a vacuum and not have several other pieces leave to other teams as well.

Root hits it out of the park.

Wait what? I let most of your nonsense go on this board, but this statement is absolute, non-sensical garbage. We were far from being a contender. Far from it.

We were one win from being a two seed last year. The 2008 team almost took the Lakers to seven games. The 2007 team would have won the West if we faced the Suns instead of the Spurs (frickin Horry). At least I back myself up. You just make statements without and support.

At least I back myself up.

Yes, you are a very good troll.

None of this **** matters anymore. Boozer is gone. Deron is gone. By the time the next season starts, how many other players from those supposed "contender" years will be left? AK, Okur, CJ... will they will be here? What about Millsap, what's to stop the team from trading him while his value is high and trying to free up the logjam at the 4?

Time to look forward.

We were one win from being a two seed last year. The 2008 team almost took the Lakers to seven games. The 2007 team would have won the West if we faced the Suns instead of the Spurs (frickin Horry). At least I back myself up. You just make statements without and support.

I can't wait until they hoist those almost banners in the rafters and give everyone almost rings. Those are the best kind.

Kinda like you almost lost your virginity. Or you almost graduated kindergarten. Or you are almost a male. Or you almost have a point.

I'm pretty sure your just trying to illicit responses and if so I'm just feeding that but here we go anyway.

Deron is/was a piece a center piece to building a title contender and even Booz (not center piece but a key piece just like Big Al) can be given the right price and more importantly the other pieces around him. That is what I believe greg was saying given the other pieces around DWill the Jazz weren't a true contender but borderline just a couple of pieces/players away from being one.

An example would be the Fakers weren't a contender once Kobe forced out Shaq and he wasn't able to get the Fakers back until the right pieces got put back around in Gasol and to a lesser extend a role player in Fisher, also using Odom which they got from the Shaq trade and the draft they got Bynum.
The difference is the landscape of the NBA is different now with the hole LeBron and Mello thing and LA being a big market Kobe wasn't as a real threat to leave unlike DWill leaving Utah, well that and nobody was giving away a Gasol type player (top 1 or 2 at his position a year or 2 into his max contract) while out right releasing a vet PG that was perfect for the system (example would be getting a Durant or even a Dirk and then Porty releasing Mathews to come back to the Jazz).

Great post. I'd rep you for it but it won't let me ATM.

The Jazz just need a real (rebounding) center, a talented wing, and some sense of organization on both ends so that they play with a team concept again.

Losing Sloan seems to be a bigger blow than losing Deron or Boozer.

The Jazz are better off than the Suns, Rockets, Hornets, and Nuggets. They can be in the thick of things if they get organized.

I share your worries about the current Jazz, but I can't call the Williams/Boozer era "contenders" either. In five years, they made the playoffs 4 times:

2007 - made us all think they were contenders by beating a weak Houston team (give them credit for doing it without homecourt) then beat a Golden State team. This landed them in the Conference Finals, and we all assumed they were contenders, but when they met a real contender (the Spurs), they were done in 5 games.
2008 - again, give them credit for beating Houston without homecourt, but the Rockets were missing key parts. When they met a real contender (the Lakers), they lost, but at least they made it a series, lasting 6 games.
2009 - Jazz slid into 8th place down the stretch, faced a real contender in the first round, and lost in 5 games.
2010 - Same story, only they were swept.

In the regular season, they finished without homecourt all four times. Once there, they took advantage of a weaker Houston team (twice) and Golden State's upset to look like contenders, but they never beat anybody of any note in the playoffs. I think they were pretenders, not contenders.

I love how everyone forgets how close that series was against the Lakers in 08.

I love how everyone forgets how close that series was against the Lakers in 08.

Yup, two missed three's from sending game six to overtime, and one bs call in game five where we could have had a chance to tie it. Of course, I do remember most people on this board bitching about how Kobe averaged 11 free throws per game. Funny how at the time they blamed the refs, but just now admit the team wasn't good enough. Gotta love people who change their opinions depending on what they are arguing.

And I'd still really love to know why nobody else had a genius idea of blowing up the team in previous seasons since, according to many of you, we weren't a contender. Any takers on that one?

Already been said, the Jazz at that time probably were one or two pieces away from being a true contender (actually favored to win the west or top 2) and I also remember the LA series and it would've been nice to get those 2 wins and force it to a game 7 where anything can happen and while the fan in me says who knows maybe the realist knows a road game 7 win next to never happens. Unless the team your facing has T-Mac, but with all that close still doesn't count.

Also being in the moment and looking back are two different things, it is easier to see deficiencies after the fact.

Already been said, the Jazz at that time probably were one or two pieces away from being a true contender (actually favored to win the west or top 2) and I also remember the LA series and it would've been nice to get those 2 wins and force it to a game 7 where anything can happen and while the fan in me says who knows maybe the realist knows a road game 7 win next to never happens. Unless the team your facing has T-Mac, but with all that close still doesn't count.

Also being in the moment and looking back are two different things, it is easier to see deficiencies after the fact.

If we won games 5 and 6, we would have won the series

The fact is, you're a pretender in this league without a defensive big man. Favors may not be Bynum or Howard, but it is a huge step in the right direction. The draft will bring more pieces. Looking back at the Deron, Booz, Okur ten years from now, I think people are going to be amazed how far they did get given that ultra soft charmin front court.

-2006-07 - Western Conference Finals (as in: 1 step away from the Finals) - and if Robert Horry doesn't body check Steve Nash into the scorer's table - it's likely Utah faces a Phoenix squad they beat 3/4 times instead of San Antonio in the WCF and then go on to beat that dreadful Cleveland team.

-2007-08 - Conference semifinals, Game 5 at Staples Center - the game everyone forgets, but the Jazz were one increbile Steve Javie/Bob Delaney-screw job away from taking a 3-2 lead over THEE LOS ANGELES LAKERS, with Game 6 back in SLC. Most analysts agreed that series was the real conference finals.

-2008-09 - Season got derailed twice, first when Deron sprained his ankle in preseason and didn't regain form until January, then when Boozer injured his knee and missed 45 games. Then they had to face the Lakers - w/out Mehmet Okur for essentially the entire series.

-2009-10 - Got hot in midseason and were on an incredible 17-2 stretch, when they traded away Ronnie Brewer - which didn't affect the team until AK injured his calf with 16 games remaining in the season - and was lost for virtually the rest of the season/playoffs. Then Okur blows his achilles in Game 1, beat Denver but not enough weapons left to finish games against LA even though they had great chances (Game 1: 4-point lead with 2 minutes left at Staples, Game 3: 2-point lead w/30 seconds left).

So you see 2 years where the Jazz were 1 step away from making The Finals, and 2 years where injuries and lack of roster improvement prevented them from taking that next step. (If healthy it's likely they don't make it regardless, but injuries really robbed them of the opportunity to take that next step).

Due to injuries/age of Boozer, I agree with the decision to let him walk for 6 yrs $75 million. However, the fact is those were still some darn good Jazz teams that were pretty close to the ultimate goal.

Jazz fans will be lucky to experience that type of success from this new rebuilding effort. For every OKC, there are a dozen rebuilding failures. There are just too many unknowns to think the Jazz are in a better position now than they were 3 years ago.
It's like spending $500 on lottery tickets instead of spending $500 on savings bonds. You now have a chance at striking it rich, but that doesn't mean you're more financially successful.

The way I remember things is that all of those years if we had simply won 4 games in each playoff series we would have had 4 championship banners in the Radium Stadium.