What's new

I mean..guys..do we have our star?

Is Hayward a bonafide number one option?

• Total voters
That said, I think that Hayward is undoubtedly our first option. Now, is he a legit first option on a legit championship team? It depends on who is around him. But if his recent play implies a step-change in his performance, and not just an anomaly, then it just may be so.

I voted no because I think he's a legit #2 guy. Still, I didn't even think he was that before this season, so what do I know. He's definitely a fringe all star player. I really doubt he'll make an NBA First Team, but maybe an outside chance of an NBA Second Team.

I agree. His play this year reminds me of Dwayne Wade-prime a bit. Not quite as explosive but he's gotten waaaay better at getting by guys, into the lane, and either attacking, or craftily finding a layup or pull-up, or teardrop, or stop-pivot-change direction jumper pretty much any time he wants. Add in solid defense like Wade and much more consistent three point shooting and dude has thoroughly, thoroughly impressed me. If we somehow got Russell, that's two very legit wing scorers who can attack in so many different ways, Favors (a legit 19-20 point scorer if he takes a step next year) and great defense and strong perimeter shooting should Exum continue to improve.

#DontHustleForRussell

Hayward is really really good, but I'm not ready to say he's a legit 1st option yet. I need to see more. We still need another efficient scorer in my opinion. Russell is the most sure thing I have seen coming out if college in some time. I think he's Steph Curry/ James Harden. He's incredible. If we somehow landed Russell to Pair with Gtime, I would be ecstatic.

Exum/Trey
Russell/Burks
Hayward/ draft pick
Favors/Kanter
Gobert/Favors/Kanter

I ain't snitchin or non like that, but you gays.. I mean gais call each other some pretty harsh stuff with bravado and don't get the infracters(Quaaaaaaid) infracting you. Meanwhile I call someone jokingly a gay and get infracted by Nate. That's my line bishsticks stole! I'm mad! Okay! I'm reloading!

Ohhh I had no idea you coined the term "g". My bad. (Censored for jamezz)

The only thing holding Hayward backing from being an indisputable #1 is volume shooting. He has done the last 2 games though and scored 30 and 32.

That said, I think that Hayward is undoubtedly our first option. Now, is he a legit first option on a legit championship team? It depends on who is around him. But if his recent play implies a step-change in his performance, and not just an anomaly, then it just may be so.

I think he's genuinely pissed at being snubbed for All Star. Best player keeping a trash team going. Dude stepped it up after the vote.

I think he's genuinely pissed at being snubbed for All Star. Best player keeping a trash team going. Dude stepped it up after the vote.

He was pretty pissed about getting cut from the World Cup team too. He looks like a guy who thinks he belongs in that conversation. He keeps improving like he has this year and he will be very, very soon. Him, Favors and Gobert will all have a much higher profile this time next year.

This thread is contradicting. The title is "I mean..guys..do we have our star?" When you select the tread, you are asked with a pole, "Is Hayward a bonafide number one option?".

"Do we have our star?"
NO.
Comments, if we did, we would have a guy capable of closing out games, and taking over games giving the Jazz a winning record.

"Is Hayward a bonafide number one option"
YES, given the team we have.

We obviously need to upgrade our team. I don't believe that you need a superstar to win a championship but you do need a bench. Even with that said, if Hayward is your number one option, do you think your going to win championships?? If you answer, "why do we need to win championships?" than study the game of basketball and quit posting. Those that are satisfied with losing will settle for everything and anything that isn't the best in every aspect of their life.

Would Hayward be able to school last years player that played his position on the championship team?? Ask yourself that. Hell no!!! Kawhi Leonard would eat him up and spit him out. This is your go to guy??? Fantastic!!! -If you are satisfied with never advancing past the first round. I am not saying that every position has to add up, but your number 1 go to option does have to add up and this one is way off. Keep your head in the clouds but your feet on the ground, you'll see further.

I hope that is about 20% of his recent play and that 80% of it is just pieces falling into place for him as a player. Otherwise it bodes ill for his continued performance, as we see from players who step up in a contract year.

I hope that is about 20% of his recent play and that 80% of it is just pieces falling into place for him as a player. Otherwise it bodes ill for his continued performance, as we see from players who step up in a contract year.

I think the kid is easy to motivate. I honestly believe he tanked last year, especially the last 20 games. You don't go from that to this in 3 short months. He's a completely different player, he did not like Corbin, and didn't really have a reason not to throw the season as long as his agent did his homework and figured a max deal was all but inevitable. Money was the only thing Hayward potentially benefited from trying his hardest last season. He tanked and now he's motivated plus the league has gotten under his skin.

Question too vague, needs some context

Bona fide number 1 star on a bad team = yes
on an average team = probably
On a good/great team = time will tell.