What's new

I need help planning on a workout routine

D

Deleted member 848

Hey dudes.

Alright, so school just went out for me, and I now have 4 months of summer vacation. Seeing as I'm not travelling anywhere, the three ways I plan on keeping myself busy in the coming months is working, practicing guitar, and working out.

The working out tidbit will be quite difficult. I have lost weight over the course of the school year, and I have now bottomed out at 155 pounds, aka the thinnest i have been since the 11th grade (2 year ago). For a guy who is 6'4", 155 is a very disappointing weight, and I wanna work on at least tacking 10-15 pounds by September. Ontop of this, I'd like to get some of my fitness back, in terms of running.

So, I have come to Jazzfanz, in efforts to seek the opinions of individuals who have a decent amount of experience, when it comes to working out, or gaining weight in general. How often should I be working out? Will I have to take protein supplements as well? What sort of work-outs should I be focusing on?

I don't have a very high metabolism, and when I worked out in the 11th grade, I put on weight fairly quickly. So, my frame definitely has room for filling out; I just don't have a great appetite, and I haven't really worked out in probably a year. In terms of muscle groups, the weakest part of my body is probably a two way tie between my core, and my shoulder/back muscles (lats, traps, etc). Don't get me wrong, every single muscle group probably needs improvement, but I notice most of my weakness stemming from the aforementioned muscle groups.

Help me get laid Jazzfanz!!

Will post pics of my body if any are interested in what sort of base I am working from at this point.

PS: Trout, tell Craig that I'd love to hear his advice as well.

I do a 6 day cycle.

Day1: Chest and Tri's (Mix up the order every time I do it)
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Inclined Dumbbell Bench Press
- Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
- Skullcrushers
- Dips
- Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
- Tricep Cable Pushdowns
- Cable Crossovers

Day 2: Back, Biceps
- Deadlifts
- Pullups
- Bent over Rows
- Hyper-extensions
- High Row
- Curls

Day 3: Legs
- Squats
- Lunges
- Morning Glory
- Leg Press
- Hamstring extensions

Day 4: Shoulders and Calves
- Seated Shoulder Press
- Front Raise
- Side Raise
- Shoulder Shrugs
- Calves raises at a deficit on a barbell with a track

Day 5 and 6: Rest

That is basically what I do. Every couple of months I will add new exercises in and take some out.

I've been meaning to do more core work also, but I'm too lazy. I just do situps when I wake up in the morning.

Last edited:
I do a 6 day cycle.

Day1: Chest and Tri's (Mix up the order every time I do it)
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Inclined Dumbbell Bench Press
- Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
- Skullcrushers
- Dips
- Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
- Tricep Cable Pushdowns
- Cable Crossovers

Day 2: Back, Biceps
- Pullups
- Bent over Rows
- Hyper-extensions
- High Row
- Curls

Day 3: Legs
- Squats
- Lunges
- Morning Glory
- Leg Press
- Hamstring extensions

Day 4: Shoulders and Calves
- Seated Shoulder Press
- Front Raise
- Side Raise
- Shoulder Shrugs
- Calves raises at a deficit on a barbell with a track

Day 5 and 6: Rest

That is basically what I do. Every couple of months I will add new exercises in and take some out.

I've been meaning to do more core work also, but I'm too lazy. I just do situps when I wake up in the morning.

No offense, but this doesn't tell me too much. Would you recommend for me to follow this exact same cycle? How much progress have you made with it? What excursuses do you find help more than others? Do you just do 8 reps reps of a given weight? How many sets? Do you go up in weight after every set?

Again, I don't know my fitness lingo very well.

No offense, but this doesn't tell me too much. Would you recommend for me to follow this exact same cycle? How much progress have you made with it? What excursuses do you find help more than others? Do you just do 8 reps reps of a given weight? How many sets? Do you go up in weight after every set?

Again, I don't know my fitness lingo very well.

3 set with 10 reps for every workout. I do a warmup set for each workout (not one of the 3) that is half the total weight I will end with. I generally do my sets so I up the weight very marginally (5-10 pounds) to where the last set I can barely do all 10 reps. Some months I will change things up and do pyramid workouts (Start 10 reps, then 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, where the final rep is the maximum 1 rep weight you can do). I mostly just stick with the 3x10 structure though.

I would recommended this site https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ for instructions on how to execute certain exercises and find new ones.

Personnel Progress? I've been working out since my senior year of high school off and on. I think I weighted around 155 lbs (6'2) during my senior year, I'm now 21 and I weight about 195. I'm currently trying to cut down my body fat so I can get around 185. Lately I've been pretty lazy in the gym, along with some forearm pain and shoulder injury, so I have been slacking this past month and have gained about 5 lbs.

I don't consider myself an expert in the gym either. I don't even really do it as a strength/bodybuilding thing anymore (as I'm pretty happy with my physical form) but more of just a habit that keeps me mentally healthy.

I don't consider myself an expert in the gym either. I don't even really do it as a strength/bodybuilding thing anymore (as I'm pretty happy with my physical form) but more of just a habit that keeps me mentally healthy.

Aside from moving irrigation lines by hand, walking about two miles quarter-mile line, 3 to 5 lines per 3-5 days, and picking up and stacking 70# hay bales all summer, I need to do something about being a fat old man. 220#, only 5-11, with the old traditional suspender syndrome. What can I do to get that paunch replaced by meaningful assets?

Aside from moving irrigation lines by hand, walking about two miles quarter-mile line, 3 to 5 lines per 3-5 days, and picking up and stacking 70# hay bales all summer, I need to do something about being a fat old man. 220#, only 5-11, with the old traditional suspender syndrome. What can I do to get that paunch replaced by meaningful assets?

Eat healthier, lift weights (lifting helps build skeletal muscle which will help burn calories at a faster rate). I assume since your old you don't have the greatest joints, so biking would be a good cardio option. If you bike, just don't go out and stroll around. Go hard and put forth enough effort to increase your heart rate considerably, as if you were running.

What's up Dalamon. It's all about your goals and what you want to accomplish. It sounds like you're primarily interested in putting on muscle and gaining some weight. If this is the case then you need to "bulk". Which basically means get into a caloric surplus (eat more than you burn = your body will put on weight). Subscribe to this guy on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhtjYoU9aQ and watch that video. Diet is hugely important, as important as the exercises you do. You need to be hitting your macros everyday (calories: carbs, proteins, and fats). If you have a smart phone download the Daily Burn Tracker app, it will allow you to put in your daily macro goals and help you track your food. It's a pain at first but it gets to be like a game, and diet made as much difference for me in 1 month as 11 months of lifting and eating whatever I felt like.

I would recommend a protein shake for sure, otherwise it will be tough to hit your daily protein macro. Muscle Milk is decent, tastes good, but is pretty high in fat, where you are bulking that might not be a bad thing. Or you can search bodybuilding.com I recommend the Gold Standard protein, super high protein and very low fat, it tastes decent too. You're going to want to eat a lot of chicken and cottage cheese and such. A balanced diet is the key.

As far as exercise go, I do pretty much the same thing Cyrone Torbin does. Here is mine:

On all of my upper body stuff I'm usually doing 3 sets and trying to get 8-12 reps.

Work-out Routine

Monday - Chest and Tricep
Flat Bench Press Dumbell or Flat Bench Press Barbell
Incline Bench Dumbell or Incline Bench Barbell (Smith)
Pushups
Dips
Cable Fly's or Dumb Bell Fly's (incline bench)
Skull Crushers or Rope Tricep Pull downs
Close Grip Bench or Two bench weighted tricep dips

Tuesday - Back and Bicep
Pullups or Seated Pulldowns
Seated Rows or Bent-over Rows, Dumbells
Deadlifts
Preacher Curls, Barbell
Hammer Curls. Dumbells
Reverse Cable Curls
Back Extensions (weighted bend over)

Wednesday - Shoulders and Abs
Shoulder Press dumbell
Alternating Deltoid Raise (dumbell)
One Arms Side laterals (dumbell)
Reverse Flies
Shrugs
Prayer Rope
Ball Crunches
Leg Lifts
Planks

Wednesday night: Full Court Basketball for 1.5 hours

Thursday - Day Off

Friday -Legs (with legs I do 3 sets of lighter weight and higher reps 15-25 reps)

Squats (Smith machine) It kind of sucks but its all we have...
Split Squat with dumbells or Lunges Dumbells
Seated legs press
Lying Legs Curls (machine)
Seated Leg Curl (machine)
Squat Jumps (to basketball backboard)
Calf Raises

Saturday
Day off, or Light Cardio

Last thing. If you can, get a workout partner, preferably someone motivated and stronger than you. It will push you to go lift when you don't feel like it and having someone spot you on some of the exercises makes a big difference in how hard you can push yourself.

It is so simple. Perform basic, compound lifts (squats, deads, benches, etc.) and EAT. If you don't eat you can't grow. Your body needs the extra nutrients to create muscle. Eating has always been one of my biggest downfalls as well. I hate eating breakfast and usually don't eat until noon and oft times later. I've found that protein shakes are a great substitute if you just can't bring yourself to eat all the time. Cut out all the soda & booze.

Regarding your running, start sprinting. Not only does it keep you lean, it builds muscle.

You can pack on a substantial amount of weight in 4 months.

I recommend eating real food, not protein shakes and that crap. A paleo diet of sorts if the way to go imo. You can easily hit 200+ grams of protein a day, unless you eat like a bird, and get a ton of veggies and fruit as well, thus having a well balanced diet.

M: Lift Chest and Triceps followed by easy core
T: Run followed by Lifting Legs
W: Lift Back and Biceps
Th: Other cardio (bike, row, basketball, etc.) followed by killer core
F: Lift Shoulders
Sat: Other cardio (bike, row, basketball, etc.) followed by moderate core and then moderate lifting of legs
Sun: Off

This is well balanced imo, giving your upper body needed rest, with "off days" that instead consist of cardio, core, and/or lifting legs. I can get more specific in a PM if you're interested.

Thanks a lot everyone, seriously. All of the input is very much appreciated.

Lol, I hate eating Scat. It's just something I will have to get around, and I seriously plan on it. I have 4 free (more or less) months this summer, so I plan on using this time to give a good crack at this fitness thing. I plan on picking up some protein powder at my local GNC within the next 24 hours. My family eats seriously healthy (more on that later) so I haven't sipped a soft drink in >3 years, and I don't ever drink alcohol either.

For sprinting, I don't have a treadmill at home, although I can obviously use one at the local gym. What are some of the times/speeds/distances I should e looking at, sprinting-wise?

Dan: Thank you so much for your insight. I just finished watching the video, and I have realized that I have probably been eating well below my daily caloric burn for months now. Here's the problem: my family eats SUPER healthy. Like zero dairy products (apart form the occasional goat yogurt), either quinoa, millet, or oats in the morning, brown rice at dinner, etc. We do eat meat, but id say I maybe eat like 20g of protein from meat sources every day. We eat a lot more legumes, like lentils, and what not. I am beginning to realize that this may not cut it, if I am willing to tack on 3000+ calories a day. As a rest, I shall be insetting on protein powder very soon, lol. You said Gold Standard protein is good? Is it fairly healthy? I wouldn't want a chemical-ladden protein power, though it is something I will accept fi there are no other alternatives. Any other dietary recommendations that you ol offer me? What are some foods that are generally very high n calories, and contribute a lot to caloric intake? Keep in mind that I was born in a middle class family, so I don't know if I get my parents to buy me ten dollars worth of chicken breast every single day.

Thank you, Wes. I will be clearing out my inbox shortly, because I might have some questions for you coming up.

What is your beef with protein shakes, exactly? I eat reallllyy healthy, but eating quinoa 5 times a day with steamed vegetables, lentils, and tofu seems a lot more difficult to hit the 3000 calorie landmark than just chugging down a protein-shake.

Thanks a lot everyone, seriously. All of the input is very much appreciated.

Lol, I hate eating Scat. It's just something I will have to get around, and I seriously plan on it. I have 4 free (more or less) months this summer, so I plan on using this time to give a good crack at this fitness thing. I plan on picking up some protein powder at my local GNC within the next 24 hours. My family eats seriously healthy (more on that later) so I haven't sipped a soft drink in >3 years, and I don't ever drink alcohol either.

For sprinting, I don't have a treadmill at home, although I can obviously use one at the local gym. What are some of the times/speeds/distances I should e looking at, sprinting-wise?

Dan: Thank you so much for your insight. I just finished watching the video, and I have realized that I have probably been eating well below my daily caloric burn for months now. Here's the problem: my family eats SUPER healthy. Like zero dairy products (apart form the occasional goat yogurt), either quinoa, millet, or oats in the morning, brown rice at dinner, etc. We do eat meat, but id say I maybe eat like 20g of protein from meat sources every day. We eat a lot more legumes, like lentils, and what not. I am beginning to realize that this may not cut it, if I am willing to tack on 3000+ calories a day. As a rest, I shall be insetting on protein powder very soon, lol. You said Gold Standard protein is good? Is it fairly healthy? I wouldn't want a chemical-ladden protein power, though it is something I will accept fi there are no other alternatives. Any other dietary recommendations that you ol offer me? What are some foods that are generally very high n calories, and contribute a lot to caloric intake? Keep in mind that I was born in a middle class family, so I don't know if I get my parents to buy me ten dollars worth of chicken breast every single day.

Mix it up with sprinting. I highly recommend doing these workouts on a track. 5 x 150 meters, 4 x 200M, 3 x 300M...like that with 3-4 minutes recovery or so, depending on the speed.

Wheaties_Fuel.gif

I'm not health expert, but this is tasty as **** and according to the box is good source of good stuff.

Dalamon most people just do upper body one day and lower body the next...

Monday :upper
Tuesday: lower

Wednesday: Cardio or rest

Thursday: upper
Friday: lower

Saturday: Cardio or rest
Sunday: rest

This is an example and most people generally seem to follow.

Just go to the gym and do a bunch of lower or upper body machine and mix it up and use different machine every time.

It's not the routine, its how much effort you put into the routine!

You can mix your cardio with the days you life if you want wednesday and saturday off as well.

Your muscles do most of the growing the first 24 hours after you lift so if you don't want to take days off lifting just make sure you don't work out the same muscle two days in a row.

Thank you, Wes. I will be clearing out my inbox shortly, because I might have some questions for you coming up.

What is your beef with protein shakes, exactly? I eat reallllyy healthy, but eating quinoa 5 times a day with steamed vegetables, lentils, and tofu seems a lot more difficult to hit the 3000 calorie landmark than just chugging down a protein-shake.

Probably cost. I use to drink them, but I don't really think they are worth the price when you can get the same effect if you just eat a normal diet.

Probably cost. I use to drink them, but I don't really think they are worth the price when you can get the same effect if you just eat a normal diet.

I eat a pretty low-calorie diet at home though. Not a lot of protein at my house, other than incomplete sources like beans, and a package of turkey slices that Ill use to make sandwiches.

Dalamon most people just do upper body one day and lower body the next...

Monday :upper
Tuesday: lower

Wednesday: Cardio or rest

Thursday: upper
Friday: lower

Saturday: Cardio or rest
Sunday: rest

This is an example and most people generally seem to follow.

Just go to the gym and do a bunch of lower or upper body machine and mix it up and use different machine every time.

It's not the routine, its how much effort you put into the routine!

You can mix your cardio with the days you life if you want wednesday and saturday off as well.

Your muscles do most of the growing the first 24 hours after you lift so if you don't want to take days off lifting just make sure you don't work out the same muscle two days in a row.

Dalamon, this is what most people over the age of 50 do. It's probably a good way to do your 1st week of workouts, just to get your body acclimated, but you are going to want to isolate specific muscle groups if you really want to put on weight/muscle.

Also, make sure you get at least 8 hours sleep daily. I believe that is the magic number for proper muscle growth and repair.