What's new

Ideal Lineup (Based on everything up to now)

Guitaro

I know it's still early, but based on the off-season, preseason, first two games, other people's analysis and interviews of our current roster, I've put together some thoughts:

Ideal Starting Lineup:

*Tinsley - Runs the offense & moves the ball better. Active on defense.
*Burks - Aggressive on both ends. Is our best SG so far. Fearless.
*Howard - He also makes things happen. He's active on defense.
*Millsap - Very active on both ends. Our most intelligent PF. Has go-to ability.
*Favors - Very active yet foul prone, so this position will be more by committee.

I thought Harris and Watson would push the ball more. Neither has impressed me so far. Tinsley has impressed me. Whenever he's in the game, the Jazz run the offense better and our defense gets better as well. I also like how Tinsley and Burks work together and put pressure on the ball.

Howard, Millsap and Favors are also aggressive defenders and rebound the ball well. They're also good finishers around the basket. Our main weapons should be Burks and Millsap along with lots of fast breaks and ball movement.

Bench:

*Hayward - Good passer, shooter and slasher. Foul prone. His intelligence would be an asset coming off the bench. Time to analyze flow of game.
*Kanter - Very physical and tough. Needs time to polish offense.
*Evans - Makes things happen. Very active on both ends. Just needs more offense.

Bubble:

*CJ - Can be a serious scorer. Best when he slashes. Still pretty young but needs time. Arguably a bubble player for Jazz but contract isn't too bad.
*Watson - Good defender. Good character guy and nice alley-oops but isn't the best passer for this offense. His contract is cheap so not bad to keep around. Still, might be better to bring in a better passing PG who is a solid three-point shooter. Barea would've been a better fit.
*Bell - Contract isn't too bad. Is good defender and can help teach the younger guys. It's just too tempting for the Jazz to give him minutes over guys like Burks.
*Jefferson - Would be a nice backup PF (remember Carr?) but his contract is too much.
*Harris - Same situation. Reminds me of Eisley but hasn't pushed it like Eisley did.

It would be better to replace the guys on the bubble with guys with a little more to prove and more energy = young, foreign or domestic, players. Preferably shooters.

Of course, keep in mind, this is based on what I've seen and read so far. Still need more time to evaluate this team's needs.

EDIT: The starting lineup needs to be fearless. Refer to the 7th post for more details.

Last edited:
If you have Tinsley and Burks in your lineup what is the point of starting washed up Howard? I'd rather give those minutes to Hayward. He looked solid tonight and had 7 assists.

If you have Tinsley and Burks in your lineup what is the point of starting washed up Howard? I'd rather give those minutes to Hayward. He looked solid tonight and had 7 assists.

Hayward gets beat too often and has to foul. Hard to keep him on the floor when he keeps doing that.

I did like his assists I just don't like his decisions on defense so far. Howard is solid and creates fast break opportunities for teammates.

Perhaps later in the year, Hayward will calm down and will take the starting spot from Howard?

Pg-Deron Williams
SG Wes Mathews
sf-Ronnie Brewer
pf-Boozer
C- Okur

Seriously, I'm just like Coach Corbin, I have no idea what will work.

Last edited:
Pg-Deron Williams
SG Wes Mathews
sf-Ronnie Brewer
pf-Boozer
C- Okur

Ideal as in created from who we have now. Something the Jazz can do right now and not have to make trades to create.

Although, if we did do trades, I doubt the Jazz would want Deron back unless he signs for a moderate amount. He'll want more money than what others have said that a PG should make. I tend to agree with that.

I like it better than the current line up

I do, too. The bottom line is that the starting lineup needs to be aggressive and fearless. It's real easy in this league to get starstruck and scared of the big names. My starting five, are guys that aren't impressed by big names. They just play no matter what. The guys that do get nervous and timid need to come off the bench and brought along more slowly to integrate them into the flow of the game.

I know it's still early, but based on the off-season, preseason, first two games, other people's analysis and interviews of our current roster, I've put together some thoughts:

Ideal Starting Lineup:

*Tinsley - Runs the offense & moves the ball better. Active on defense.
*Burks - Aggressive on both ends. Is our best SG so far. Fearless.
*Howard - He also makes things happen. He's active on defense.
*Millsap - Very active on both ends. Our most intelligent PF. Has go-to ability.
*Favors - Very active yet foul prone, so this position will be more by committee.

I thought Harris and Watson would push the ball more. Neither has impressed me so far. Tinsley has impressed me. Whenever he's in the game, the Jazz run the offense better and our defense gets better as well. I also like how Tinsley and Burks work together and put pressure on the ball.

Howard, Millsap and Favors are also aggressive defenders and rebound the ball well. They're also good finishers around the basket. Our main weapons should be Burks and Millsap along with lots of fast breaks and ball movement.

Bench:

*Hayward - Good passer, shooter and slasher. Foul prone. His intelligence would be an asset coming off the bench. Time to analyze flow of game.
*Kanter - Very physical and tough. Needs time to polish offense.
*Evans - Makes things happen. Very active on both ends. Just needs more offense.

Bubble:

*CJ - Can be a serious scorer. Best when he slashes. Still pretty young but needs time. Arguably a bubble player for Jazz but contract isn't too bad.
*Watson - Good defender. Good character guy and nice alley-oops but isn't the best passer for this offense. His contract is cheap so not bad to keep around. Still, might be better to bring in a better passing PG who is a solid three-point shooter. Barea would've been a better fit.
*Bell - Contract isn't too bad. Is good defender and can help teach the younger guys. It's just too tempting for the Jazz to give him minutes over guys like Burks.
*Jefferson - Would be a nice backup PF (remember Carr?) but his contract is too much.
*Harris - Same situation. Reminds me of Eisley but hasn't pushed it like Eisley did.

It would be better to replace the guys on the bubble with guys with a little more to prove and more energy = young, foreign or domestic, players. Preferably shooters.

Of course, keep in mind, this is based on what I've seen and read so far. Still need more time to evaluate this team's needs.

EDIT: The starting lineup needs to be fearless. Refer to the 7th post for more details.

Agreed with everything except that. Bell is just worthless.

Agreed with everything except that. Bell is just worthless.

Fair enough. Although, I do think he would make a good player-coach. Did you watch that open bit of practice they showed? Plus, he's always been pretty vocal out there. The only problem I could see is if other players actually listen. ;)

My fav part is when you said CJ Miles of the NBA's Utah Jazz needed time. Your dry wit and sarcasm always gets me!

My fav part is when you said CJ Miles of the NBA's Utah Jazz needed time. Your dry wit and sarcasm always gets me!

;) Although, in this case, needs time as in more baking time. He's not ready to serve yet. lol

Solid? Hayward was abysmal. He can't guard anybody. He had guys going right around him routinely. Offensively Hayward is really good. Defensively in the last 2 games Hayward has been the worst defender on the team. Can't stay between his man and the hoop, and does not seem to understand how to force players baseline.

I would say I think Burks should be given a shot at starting PG.

Burks
Hayward
Evans
Favors
Kanter.

Bench
Watson
CJ
Howard
Millsap
Jefferson

To hell with it. If we are going to lose at least let the young guys grow into the league. They can't be all that much worse than what we are playing now.

And Bell is 100% worthless. Does not defend anymore and seems to be too scared to take wide open shots.

Jefferson and Millsap really should never be on the floor together. They are terrible defensively and are too much alike offensively for it to work. As soon as Favors got in foul trouble Nene went off.

I nowhere near ready to give Burks the nod. He played pretty well in garbage minutes last night. That proves nothing. His floor time during the Lakers was embarrassing. I do think he needs to see the floor more. Ty is definitely riding him harder than the others; I think Ty has high expectations and is making a point because Alec is his "man".

As for Bell, I have no problem with him starting, but his minutes need to be cut. He gets tired fast in his old age, he should set an aggressive tone in the first 5 of the game, then see spot minutes for the duration.

Tinsley....no thanks.

Hayward needs to start. He'll get better with every game. Keep his confidence high.

I agree on Millsap and Favors starting.

Seems that most of us would be happy with any starting lineup that does not include bell

My estimation is that Bell still has the heart, but the body is gone. Harris may still have the body, but has no heart. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would rather watch Bell trying than Harris not trying.

My estimation is that Bell still has the heart, but the body is gone. Harris may still have the body, but has no heart. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would rather watch Bell trying than Harris not trying.

Definitely some meat to this. I will take effort with limited success over no effort with limited success any day.