What's new

If Boozer isn't worth $80 mil, who is?

SaltyDawg

I am not saying Boozer is or isn't worth $80 mil. I am just curious, who do Jazz fans think is worth $80 mil?

I am seeing pretty much everyone on the board say Boozer isn't worth $80 mil. It's not even being debated by anyone.

Is there a player in the NBA right now that you think will get $80 mil or less that you think is actually worth $80 mil? And I'm not talking about someone on or just coming off his rookie contract (where the max is probably less than $80 mil) so skip that. I am talking about guys like Boozer, who are not coming off the rookie contract.

It's pretty easy to name guys like Wade, Bosh, Amare, and Lebron. But none of them are getting "only" $80 mil either.

Joe Johnson agreed to a $120 contract the other day...

If you think $80 mil is too much to pay an all star caliber player and dream teamer, then you don't understand the NBA.

I am not saying the Jazz should have or should not have matched that offer when they were given the chance. But I am saying it is not a no brainer to let him walk at that price like the board members seem to be saying.

I will also say this- if the Jazz don't get a very good player to replace Boozer within the next year or so, then letting him walk will prove to be a big time mistake. And if/when they do replace Boozer, it will likely cost them the $80 mil Boozer is getting.

Heck, didn't the Jazz originally sign a much younger and unproven Boozer for something like $70 mil? And now we're saying it's such a no brainer to let him walk at $80 mil- now that he's a proven all star caliber player?

Someone who doesn't miss nearly a third of his scheduled starts due to injury, that's who.

Again, who? Anyone can throw generalities out there. Who do you think is worth $80 mil? If Boozer didn't have injury history, he would have got a $100 mil contract like Stoudemire.

Someone who will be 33 by the end of the deal and already missed 1/3 of his games.

Look at Barkley, he broke down in his early 30s and missed a lot of games.

Someone who will be 33 by the end of the deal and already missed 1/3 of his games.

Look at Barkley, he broke down in his early 30s and missed a lot of games.
Still waiting for a name...

Who do you think is or will be worth an $80 mil contract- not counting players on their rookie contracts or just barely coming off the rookie contract (due to the lower max)?

I think the lack of names in this thread says it all.

A lot of posters on this board have some imaginary player they feel is worth the money, and others just have no clue about the economics of the NBA.

Not 1 single name so far, just a bunch of fantasies and mythical players...

I don't know if anyone is worth 80 million outside of superstars like LeBron, DWade, Kobe, Durant, etc. Players whose presence can nearly carry a team to playoff contention alone. Bosh is overrated as is Amar'e. As I mentioned in another post, I appreciated Boozer's offensive game, but he is a defensive liability and has a long history of injuries that I don't see changing. If the Jazz were to match and/or pay more to keep him, that would have just been another poison contract that fans would be regretting in a couple of years.

Obviously, he's worth a lot more to a team with money to spend than a team that's financially strapped. There are so many reasons why its best the Jazz didn't re-sign Boozer, starting with the fact that he's a gigantic defensive liability and ending with the fact that Utah was never going to be able to compete in the long-run with Boozer as a centerpiece.

So, SaltyDawg would you have paid Boozer the 80 million or worse yet, the 96 million over 6 years the Jazz would have likely had to pay to keep him? If so, you apparently have no clue about the economics of the NBA because that would be absolutely moronic of the Jazz to do. They made the right choice even though the Jazz are now are worse team without FA signings.

Booz is probably worth 80 mil in this crazy market. But whether he is worth 80mil TO THE JAZZ is another issue altogether

so essentially the question is who is worth 16M+ a year?

Kobe
Durant
Gasol
Anthony
Howard
CP3
DWill
Wade
LeBron
Roy
Amare

Hows that?

Again, who? Anyone can throw generalities out there. Who do you think is worth $80 mil? If Boozer didn't have injury history, he would have got a $100 mil contract like Stoudemire.

You're missing the point. Stoudemire's contract was only possible because his last salary was at 17 mil. Everyone knows that Atlanta overpaid for Joe Johnson except the Hawks. But the real issue is not whether Boozer is "worth" the contract he's getting. By NBA dollars, he is. The real issue is what NBA teams can afford to pay Boozer 16/18/20 in the final 3 years of a deal when he'd be 31, 32, and 33 after already demonstrating an an injury history. Chicago, NY, New Jersey--those teams can take that risk. A team like the Jazz, that already has a better MAX player in Williams, cannot. For the Jazz to commit themselves to a second MAX deal of any kind, the player would have to be nearly perfect. Booze is not that player.

Kevin Durant is.
Kevin Durant signed a deal worth more than $80 mil. Not only that, but he is still on his rookie contract so his max is a lot lower. Wait til he is off his rookie contract and see how much he signs for.

So, SaltyDawg would you have paid Boozer the 80 million or worse yet, the 96 million over 6 years the Jazz would have likely had to pay to keep him? If so, you apparently have no clue about the economics of the NBA because that would be absolutely moronic of the Jazz to do. They made the right choice even though the Jazz are now are worse team without FA signings.
I don't know if I would have signed Boozer for $80 mil or not. This thread was not intended to be a debate about that. My point was, if the Jazz are ever going to be a contender, they WILL have to pay someone that kind of money. And if not Boozer, then who?

Nobody seems to be able to answer that question. It's either listing mythical players, or max players. And for the record, if Boozer was the perfect player you all wish he was (defensive stud, no injuries, etc) then he would be getting Lebron money, not $80 mil.

I am not saying Boozer is or isn't worth $80 mil. I am just curious, who do Jazz fans think is worth $80 mil?

I am seeing pretty much everyone on the board say Boozer isn't worth $80 mil. It's not even being debated by anyone.

Is there a player in the NBA right now that you think will get $80 mil or less that you think is actually worth $80 mil? And I'm not talking about someone on or just coming off his rookie contract (where the max is probably less than $80 mil) so skip that. I am talking about guys like Boozer, who are not coming off the rookie contract.

It's pretty easy to name guys like Wade, Bosh, Amare, and Lebron. But none of them are getting "only" $80 mil either.

Joe Johnson agreed to a $120 contract the other day...

If you think $80 mil is too much to pay an all star caliber player and dream teamer, then you don't understand the NBA.

I am not saying the Jazz should have or should not have matched that offer when they were given the chance. But I am saying it is not a no brainer to let him walk at that price like the board members seem to be saying.

I will also say this- if the Jazz don't get a very good player to replace Boozer within the next year or so, then letting him walk will prove to be a big time mistake. And if/when they do replace Boozer, it will likely cost them the $80 mil Boozer is getting.

Heck, didn't the Jazz originally sign a much younger and unproven Boozer for something like $70 mil? And now we're saying it's such a no brainer to let him walk at $80 mil- now that he's a proven all star caliber player?

I just posted something similar in another thread about Booz and Nets without reading this thread first. 2 out of about 4 or so teams with CAP room (Bulls and Nets) think Booz is worth 5 years 80 mil. That alone should make people think about the decision our FO just made. What I am mostly concerned though is that our FO was dumb enough to only extend Deron for 3 years, instead of 5 (like OKC extended Durant). That means in 2 years Deron will be asking, who is the talent next to him and whether it makes sense to stay. With 20 and 10 guy just walking away for nothing in return and Jazz unlikely getting top 3 pick in the draft any time soon with Deron on the roster, who is that star talent next to DWill? Millsap is the closest guy we have to another star, and he is yet to produce at Boozer's level. After that, we have no one worth mentioning. Just good solid guys, and no star power. I am really concerned with the decision not to match Booz. Yes, 80 mil is a lot of money, but 20 and 10 guys are also pretty rare, and you have a star PG who is threatening to leave if he does not get good talent around him. I didn't realize Booz gave the Jazz a chance to match, but if he did, we might have just made a pretty big mistake.

so essentially the question is who is worth 16M+ a year?

Kobe
Durant
Gasol
Anthony
Howard
CP3
DWill
Wade
LeBron
Roy
Amare

Hows that?
I think every single player on that list has a contract worth more than Boozer's. The only possible exceptions are the ones coming off their rookie contracts because their max is lower.

I think every single player on that list has a contract worth more than Boozer's. The only possible exceptions are the ones coming off their rookie contracts because their max is lower.

Yeah. Even Rudy Gay just got MAX. That brings up another question: how can Memphis be so dumb to give away Gasol for nothing to get CAP room, and then just spend it all on Gay. This just makes no sense at all.

Kevin Durant signed a deal worth more than $80 mil. Not only that, but he is still on his rookie contract so his max is a lot lower. Wait til he is off his rookie contract and see how much he signs for.

I don't know if I would have signed Boozer for $80 mil or not. This thread was not intended to be a debate about that. My point was, if the Jazz are ever going to be a contender, they WILL have to pay someone that kind of money. And if not Boozer, then who?

Nobody seems to be able to answer that question. It's either listing mythical players, or max players. And for the record, if Boozer was the perfect player you all wish he was (defensive stud, no injuries, etc) then he would be getting Lebron money, not $80 mil.

I think if AK's sorry *** was'nt on this team the Jazz would have paid Booz. I hope they atleast make AK work more next season to earn a half of his pay
I think Booz is worth 80 mil over 5 yrs in this market. Just look at all those ridiculous contracts for Amare or Joe. He just isnt worth 80 mil to the Jazz RIGHT NOW. And the Jazz have to blame themselves for getting into this situation in the first place

Why would any small market team agree to ANY deal with Booze that would pay him 16/18/20 in the final years of a deal when he'd be 31, 32, and 33. If the Jazz had unlimited Cap Space, there would still be no good reason to do it.