What's new

If by the grace of god the Jazz get the #1 pick

Beer

Should they trade down to 3 or possibly lower? Obviously depends on what the offers are but I like 3,4,5,6, even lower as much as I like 1 or 2 in this draft. Okafor is a bad *** scorer but I don't like him on the Jazz and I do like Towns but I think we'd be able to trade down and get him at 2 or 3. Thoughts?

Towns or Russell will be the best player of this draft. Take Russell because of fit... I wouldn't trade down... no reason to get cute just take the guy you want.

Towns or Russell will be the best player of this draft. Take Russell because of fit... I wouldn't trade down... no reason to get cute just take the guy you want.

You could add another pick, a solid veteran, .... you could get a ton back by moving down a spot or 2 or 3. I don't think its getting cute, I think its being smart. I could be completely wrong though.

I agree with this

Take the best player. Period. Scout your *** off and just take the best guy. Unless you can get a potential All Star Alpha scorer to team up with Gobert, Favors, Hayward and Exum, you make the pick. If that guy is Okafor or D'Angelo Russell, you take him and call it a day.

Draft Russell and be done with it. If we trade down we risk losing Russell. One scenario I could see though is if the team drafting 2nd wants Okafor we could act like we are grabbing him and trade down to 2 and pick up an asset. I wouldn't trade down any lower.

You could add another pick, a solid veteran, .... you could get a ton back by moving down a spot or 2 or 3. I don't think its getting cute, I think its being smart. I could be completely wrong though.

Yeah, it's an option for sure. I would be aiming to get a second pick in this draft if at all possible, I don't really want to delay picking up that last piece or whatever for another year. As of right now I'd see that scenario being moving down to the sixers at the 3 and grabbing their mid first rounder with some other future stuff as well. I guess it all depends on what other teams are looking for. If we pulled Russell and say Kaminsky from the draft then we'd be in dang good shape.

It would take a lot for me to do even that. You'd have to be solid in the faith that the team acquiring the pick actually wants Okafor over Russell. Otherwise, you end up with a guy you didn't really want. Scout your *** off. Take the best player. Done.

Part of my willingness to do it is not being fully sold on the two guards at the top (Russell/Mudiay), I'm just not really sure of either of them. And while I am sold on Okafor/Towns I don't love their fit with us and if we could trade down to still get a solid wing piece (Mario/Johnson/Booker) I'd probably do it.

So the 2nd team knows you don't want Okafor but they give up a ton to get him? Move back to #3 and have Russell and Towns go #1 and #2 and now you miss out on the guy you really wanted? What team wants Okafor waaay more than Towns at this point?

You try to over think it and get cute and lose the guy you really want. I'm not saying you don't talk to everyone but I think Okafor, Towns, and Russell are all in the same talent tier... Take the guy you want.

Yeah, it's an option for sure. I would be aiming to get a second pick in this draft if at all possible, I don't really want to delay picking up that last piece or whatever for another year. As of right now I'd see that scenario being moving down to the sixers at the 3 and grabbing their mid first rounder with some other future stuff as well. I guess it all depends on what other teams are looking for. If we pulled Russell and say Kaminsky from the draft then we'd be in dang good shape.
Philly would have to give up a helluva lot more than that to jump to #1. To me, this draft is shaping up a lot like 2011. One guy that I wouldn't risk losing and about a dozen other interesting prospects. For the same reason that Cleveland never would have traded away Kyrie Irving, the Jazz should just stay put and thank their lucky stars that they got D'Angelo Russell. He's a perfect fit for this young core. Dont be greedy. Just be thankful you got a potential missing piece.

Exactly, in theory move from 1 to 2 or 3 and pick up an early teens pick would be ideal. No idea if that would be possible until after the lotto but I'm not in love with anyone in the top 3 enough to not take a good offer and move down.

Or take Okafor at 1 and then orchestrate a trade. There are a few ways to go about it.

You don't trade the #1 pick.

And you don't draft according to need with a top 3 pick.

Take the BPA.

Seriously, if we were lucky enough to get the 1st pick, I can't imagine the front office being foolish enough to trade it.

Exactly, in theory move from 1 to 2 or 3 and pick up an early teens pick would be ideal. No idea if that would be possible until after the lotto but I'm not in love with anyone in the top 3 enough to not take a good offer and move down.

We have established players and teams know that. We have to be concerned with fit. NY, LA, Minny, Philly need everything. If they want to move up to 2 or 3 it would be to take the player that we were going to select... otherwise they stand pat and take the guy they want. Other than Philly those teams don't have the assets you are talking about trading for. If Philly want to move to number one from two or three it would be because they were trying to get Russell, who is the ideal fit for us.

Get comfortable with Russell... he is the truth.

You don't trade the #1 pick.

And you don't draft according to need with a top 3 pick.

Take the BPA.

Only caveat I would say is it is not just strictly the BPA, but take the player who is the best fit in the talent tier you are drafting. I think the top 3 of this draft are in the same talent tier...

If I wanted a player in range 3-4 and the #3 team desperately wanted the #1 guy Id milk them hard.

Just all depends on how things fall.

Edit: Id have to compare the player Id draft plus what Id get plus the #1 player.