What's new

If by the grace of god the Jazz get the #1 pick

Trade #1 + 2017-18 picks owed to us and Hayward for Durant. Maybe OKC won't think they can resign him when the time comes. Crazy, I know, but dang that would be a great haul for them

You don't trade the #1 pick.

And you don't draft according to need with a top 3 pick.

Take the BPA.

What if it was Anthony Bennett?

Over-arching statements are for morons. You draft the best player-- and you choose to either keep him, or entertain offers before/afterwards. What if the Raptors had traded the #1 pick that became Andrea Bargnani? Or if Cleveland had traded down the 1st pick to Orlando who then picked Oladipo with that 1st pick, leaving them with Bennett + filler?

Best post of the thread. Scout. Pick. Done.

What if you scout and the guy you want will be available at 3 or beyond? It would be stupid not to try and get more. But I guess last years draft taught us anything is possible.

You don't trade the #1 pick.

And you don't draft according to need with a top 3 pick.

Take the BPA.

Yep, take BPA... wait for offers. If none come, you got BPA. If an awesome offer comes in... even better - you have options.

There are some good prospects in the top 4, but no one blows me away. Guys like Towns with "upside potential" are scary. I see no sure things or super stars in there.

Im perfectly fine picking at the end of the lottery, and adding to our core.

Trade #1 + 2017-18 picks owed to us and Hayward for Durant. Maybe OKC won't think they can resign him when the time comes. Crazy, I know, but dang that would be a great haul for them

This would be absolutely fantastic. I would totally make a run for Durant.

It's D'Angelo or Okafor. Can't really go wrong with either one.

To echo the board, don't get cute and just pick your guy.

There are some good prospects in the top 4, but no one blows me away. Guys like Towns with "upside potential" are scary. I see no sure things or super stars in there.

Im perfectly fine picking at the end of the lottery, and adding to our core.

I'm not in love with anyone in this draft, I think value is about the same all the way to 8 ish.

I'm not in love with anyone in this draft, I think value is about the same all the way to 8 ish.

There are some pretty clear talent tiers in this draft.

What if it was Anthony Bennett?

Over-arching statements are for morons. You draft the best player-- and you choose to either keep him, or entertain offers before/afterwards. What if the Raptors had traded the #1 pick that became Andrea Bargnani? Or if Cleveland had traded down the 1st pick to Orlando who then picked Oladipo with that 1st pick, leaving them with Bennett + filler?
Honestly. . . you scout better than that. Cleveland should have taken any number of players over Bennett. It was a bad pick, the fact that they likely could have traded down first doesn't make it any less of a bad pick. Imagine if the Cavs had taken Olidipo, Len, Noel, Gobert or even Porter and it would have been better.

There are some pretty clear talent tiers in this draft.

I hear that every year and it never works out as planned. Okafor will be a great offensive player, but I doubt he'll ever be decent defensively. Towns is extremely skilled but his athleticism might hold him back. Same with Russell. Those are supposedly the clear cut top 3 but I don't see a huge drop off in the next 5 or 6 guys.

Feel free to break the lottery into tiers if you'd like.

Get Russell and we're set. Finally get some shooting and maintain the passing. 3 guys who can distribute the ball. Let the matchup dictate who guards who in the backcourt.

Get Russell and we're set. Finally get some shooting and maintain the passing. 3 guys who can distribute the ball. Let the matchup dictate who guards who in the backcourt.

Let Exum guard the superior guard and camp out in the corner until his offensive game develops. I would love that for sure.

I hear that every year and it never works out as planned. Okafor will be a great offensive player, but I doubt he'll ever be decent defensively. Towns is extremely skilled but his athleticism might hold him back. Same with Russell. Those are supposedly the clear cut top 3 but I don't see a huge drop off in the next 5 or 6 guys.

Feel free to break the lottery into tiers if you'd like.

Tier 1
Okafor
Towns
Russell

Tier 2
Mudiay
Porzingis

Tier 3
WCS
Johnson
Hezonja

Depending on which experts you follow Mudiay could be in Tier 1 and WCS could be in Tier 2... Porzingis could be tier 3. So I guess it isn't that clear per se... my bad. I do think there is a big difference between the top 3 guys and the 7th and 8th guys. There are drafts, like the Anthony Bennett draft, where the top 3 pick doesn't matter as much... I don't see this as that kind of a draft.

Russ' athleticism isn't great... but he has great size for a point guard and has all the skills. Towns is going to be great at the next level. His PER is already better than Okafor's and he will have a positive effect on defenses. He might be a bit slow laterally, but I have a really hard time seeing him bust outside of an injury. I am actually more down on Okafor... post players are not really en vogue in the NBA. Mudiay may be Rose or he may be Tyreke... he wouldn't be ideal as he isn't a shooter.

2004 to 2013 drafts, sorting by winshares within that draft. Completely arbitrary numbers I assigned below, but I feel like it gives some sort of idea what type player you might get (obviously not all are created equal with injuries and whatnot, Derrick Rose winds up in the 3rd group for example). Most recent data is also obviously very rough and there's lots of room for movement.
Pick number. Tops in draft in win shares / Top 5 of draft / Top 15 of draft / Outside of top 15

1st pick. 2/4/2/2
2nd pick. 2/0/5/4
3rd pick. 1/3/3/3
4th pick. 1/3/3/3
5th pick. 1/1/5/2
6th pick. 0/1/2/7
7th pick. 1/3/1/5
8th pick. 0/1/5/4
9th pick. 0/3/5/2
10th pick. 0/1/4/5

Just for fun all the guys in the top 5 of their draft years who weren't top 10 picks.
2004- Al Jefferson, Kevin Martin
2005- David Lee, Danny Granger
2006- Paul Milsap, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo
2007- Marc Gasol
2008- Serge Ibaka, DeAndre Jordan, George Hill
2009- Ty Lawson, Taj Gibson
2010- none
2011- Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Chandler Parsons, Kenneth Faried
2012- Draymond Green
2013- Mason Plumlee, Gorgui Deng, Rudy Gobert, Giannis Antetokounmpo

Top 4 picks in most drafts seem to be generally more successful, and being 6th pick seems like bad luck.

2004 to 2013 drafts, sorting by winshares within that draft. Completely arbitrary numbers I assigned below, but I feel like it gives some sort of idea what type player you might get (obviously not all are created equal with injuries and whatnot, Derrick Rose winds up in the 3rd group for example). Most recent data is also obviously very rough and there's lots of room for movement.
Pick number. Tops in draft in win shares / Top 5 of draft / Top 15 of draft / Outside of top 15

1st pick. 2/4/2/2
2nd pick. 2/0/5/4
3rd pick. 1/3/3/3
4th pick. 1/3/3/3
5th pick. 1/1/5/2
6th pick. 0/1/2/7
7th pick. 1/3/1/5
8th pick. 0/1/5/4
9th pick. 0/3/5/2
10th pick. 0/1/4/5

Just for fun all the guys in the top 5 of their draft years who weren't top 10 picks.
2004- Al Jefferson, Kevin Martin
2005- David Lee, Danny Granger
2006- Paul Milsap, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo
2007- Marc Gasol
2008- Serge Ibaka, DeAndre Jordan, George Hill
2009- Ty Lawson, Taj Gibson
2010- none
2011- Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Chandler Parsons, Kenneth Faried
2012- Draymond Green
2013- Mason Plumlee, Gorgui Deng, Rudy Gobert, Giannis Antetokounmpo

Top 4 picks in most drafts seem to be generally more successful, and being 6th pick seems like bad luck.

This is great work... The draft is a bit of a crap shoot. If you land in the top 3... there is no way that you trade beyond that imo. In this draft there are 3 guys who I see as similar in talent, but very different players in fit. If I had the first pick I wouldn't want to mess around and get an ill fitting piece. People can say it will all work out, but it didn't remember Enes. We subtracted talent that didn't fit and got better.

This is great work... The draft is a bit of a crap shoot. If you land in the top 3... there is no way that you trade beyond that imo. In this draft there are 3 guys who I see as similar in talent, but very different players in fit. If I had the first pick I wouldn't want to mess around and get an ill fitting piece. People can say it will all work out, but it didn't remember Enes. We subtracted talent that didn't fit and got better.

I think if I was splitting into tiers I'd probably go like so.

Tier 1: Towns (He's the only one I could see having a possibility at one day being arguably the best player in the league so I gave him tier 1 by himself)
Tier 2: Okafor, Russell
Tier 3: Mudiay, Johnson, Mario
Tier 4: Turner, WCS, Oubre, Porzingis, Booker

Tier 1
Okafor
Towns
Russell

Tier 2
Mudiay
Porzingis

Tier 3
WCS
Johnson
Hezonja

Depending on which experts you follow Mudiay could be in Tier 1 and WCS could be in Tier 2... Porzingis could be tier 3. So I guess it isn't that clear per se... my bad. I do think there is a big difference between the top 3 guys and the 7th and 8th guys. There are drafts, like the Anthony Bennett draft, where the top 3 pick doesn't matter as much... I don't see this as that kind of a draft.

Russ' athleticism isn't great... but he has great size for a point guard and has all the skills. Towns is going to be great at the next level. His PER is already better than Okafor's and he will have a positive effect on defenses. He might be a bit slow laterally, but I have a really hard time seeing him bust outside of an injury. I am actually more down on Okafor... post players are not really en vogue in the NBA. Mudiay may be Rose or he may be Tyreke... he wouldn't be ideal as he isn't a shooter.

My opinion on these guys

Okafor = Al Jefferson, but a better passer. Will be just as bad on D and is a poor FT shooter
Towns - I really really like him, I just think he'll be limited by his athleticism. I think he'll do a lot to help a team win but will never be an alpha on a team
Russell - I actually would probably take him #1 because his team outside of him is pretty terrible. He does a lot with not much help. I think he'll be the first All Star from this draft
Mudiay - Do not like or want him. Big strong guy with an average shot and below average explosiveness. Poor mans Tyreke. Do not want him at all
Porzingas - LOVE him, super young long and athletic. Pretty skilled also. I'd probably take him at 3 after Russell and Towns
WCS - I think he will be an impact guy from day 1. I'd take him 4 if it was up to me. He is a freak as far as size and quickness goes. Would love to have him coming off the bench for us. He'll be AS too imo
Johnson - Would be a great fit for the Jazz- Good shooter that will only get better, great body, very good defender and rebounder ... would only make the Jazz better with him on the court.
Hezonja - like him a lot but is he just going to be the next Bellinelli? Not a bad thing, but not a top 5 pick, if he slipped past Johnson I wouldn't mind him
Oubre is a few years out from being an NBA player

So I'd put them in this order

Russel
Towns
Porzingas
Okafor
WCS
Johnson
Hezonja
Mudiay