What's new

If the Jazz has the guts to trade Conley, then...

The Jazz aren't going to trade Conley, it's just not going to happen. Many of you have spent a lot of time typing different scenarios on how/who/where etc. Stop wasting your time. He was actually starting to shoot much better than the first few games where he couldn't throw it in the ocean from the pier. He just needs to continue remembering how to pass and dribble and all will be well. The complexity of the offense has him panicked a bit, at least that's the only feasible explanation for how he's played so out of character. And no, we are not better without him. It seems Joe has somewhat played himself into shape, so going forward they should start to approximate the team we thought they were more than the steamy pile they've been.

Listened to the Woj and Lowe show part on the Jazz... not a lot there but it sounds like we aren’t looking to make a minor move let alone a big move. Woj says we aren’t making calls Zach says we should be...

How so? Joe is bringing more to the table than Mike was.

Look up the ORtg/DRtg/Net Rating of

Conley/Mitchell/O'neale/Bogdanovic/Gobert

vs

Mitchell/Oneale/Ingles/Bogdanovic/Gobert

It's not a close comparison. The lineup with Conley is like +20 whereas the lineup with Ingles is around even.

I'm at work or I'd find the tweet.

Conley is not the problem.

Yeah... I know you don't want to be the guy in your fantasy league that is constantly hitting guys up for trades, but I'd be making feeler phone calls a lot... and they might be... and there is value to not throwing your guys names out there all the time. I just think we have some bench holes that could be plugged without a landscape changing trade. We don't shift the rotation much either... We made so much change this offseason that I think (maybe) they get a pass for now. We can go ahead and shut the trade machine down to save some power around here.

Who were we going to get that was better than Conley/Bogdanovic doe?
Impossible to answer. Brogdon maybe. And who knows what we could aquire right now with those draft picks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Look up the ORtg/DRtg/Net Rating of

Conley/Mitchell/O'neale/Bogdanovic/Gobert

vs

Mitchell/Oneale/Ingles/Bogdanovic/Gobert

It's not a close comparison. The lineup with Conley is like +20 whereas the lineup with Ingles is around even.

I'm at work or I'd find the tweet.

Conley is not the problem.
Thanks for bringing the raw data, it sure doesn’t meet the eye test though. I’ll wait for Conley to come back and watch a few more games before making any further assessment.

What were the Jazz suppose to do to please people who didn't want Conley?
Some of the most popular guard alternatives put out at the time:
1) Brogdon
2) Move Mitchell to PG
3) Satoransky
4) Be patient and see what becomes available
Any of these 4 would have worked out better so far than trading for Conely and none of them would have impacted replacing Favors with Bogdanovic. Maybe we don't end up with Green or Davis, but neither of those would have been great losses.

This team with Bogdanovic and Conley has a much higher ceiling. They had to take a chance.
You are spot on with this point. They took a shot, and it is to early to say it won't work out. Watching Joe and the starters it is easy to see how the team works. Adding Conley will improve the talent level of the team, and then we just need to tinker with some peripheral players (Thad Young, Marvin Williams, Iguodala, Kyle Anderson, Jae Crowder). Coming down the stretch, when players are focused on winning as a team things will get much smoother.

The team lacks in toughness, we’ve had Booker, Crowder. Who’s the tough guy on this roster? You need one to glue the team together.

Brantley looks like one that would take no **** from anyone. He needs to be thrown to the wolves, why wait?

Not a Conley deal, but I think if we're looking to move Conley (other than in a CP3/Love/Griffin something like that swap), then I think we should seriously look at moving Bogdanovic as well. His value is probably relatively high now, try to pick up a younger talent that can fit longer term with Mitchell/Gobert.

Russell from GS? (better fit with the injured stars and lets them roll over the Iguodala TPE into an even bigger one)
Winslow/Olynyk from Miami? (gets Miami under the tax)
THJ/picks from Dallas? (Dallas decides they're ready)
Harkless/young guys from Clippers? (probably only cause I really like Shamet)

Would need to include Davis in a couple of these, but don't think that changes too much. Looking at Dallas again they're actually pretty low on picks already from the KP deal, so there may be no way to do that.
I hate the idea, but love the cold blooded outside box thinking. Also, don't see this ever happening since he is one of the premier FA signings in team history and trading him when he has been all we want and more, and he is happy, would be bad optics.

The team lacks in toughness, we’ve had Booker, Crowder. Who’s the tough guy on this roster? You need one to glue the team together.
Players that could grow into that role: Rudy, Royce. The problem is Rudy comes across as to much of a jerk (and is French lol), and I don't think Royce is secure enough to be that player (maybe next year after he has a contract and has an established role in the rotation).
How about Quin providing that grit? He helped foster that identify the first few years as a coach.

Jazz could bring in Pachulia to be the prick that everyone on the other team is worried about. Plus, he is a proven Kawhi stopper in the playoffs (to soon?)!

Thanks for bringing the raw data, it sure doesn’t meet the eye test though. I’ll wait for Conley to come back and watch a few more games before making any further assessment.

Maybe it's just me but only thing the eye test has told me in recent games is that Joe needs to start. But it has more to do with Joe playing better with the starters than he does with the bench. Nothing really to do with Conley. I think we should go with Conley/Mitchell/Ingles/Bogdanovic/Gobert

Yeah... I know you don't want to be the guy in your fantasy league that is constantly hitting guys up for trades, but I'd be making feeler phone calls a lot... and they might be... and there is value to not throwing your guys names out there all the time. I just think we have some bench holes that could be plugged without a landscape changing trade. We don't shift the rotation much either... We made so much change this offseason that I think (maybe) they get a pass for now. We can go ahead and shut the trade machine down to save some power around here.
This reads very sexual...

Landscaping...
Plugging holes...
Making feeler calls...
Fantasy...
Constantly hitting up...
Throwing your guys out there all the time...
Powerful machines...
Shifting the rotation...
Free passes...

Damn.

Landscaping...
Plugging holes...
Making feeler calls...
Fantasy...
Constantly hitting up...
Powerful machines...
Shifting the rotation...
Free passes...

Damn.
I'm a sexual person

Landscaping...
Plugging holes...
Making feeler calls...
Fantasy...
Constantly hitting up...
Powerful machines...
Shifting the rotation...
Free passes...

Damn.
Trying to picture “constantly hitting up”..

All these teams have seen Conley play and aren't about to give up much for him. Basically we are stuck with a 30 million dollar a year albatross!

Heard some analysis that said a major hole in Conley’s game is his lack of experience/ability to throw lob passes after playing with Marc gasoline and Zach Randolph for a decade.

I do think that Chris Paul would be a good fit, especially taking that into account. Health and contract are absolute yikes though. But if we can do a exum and Conley swap or something, given healthy, I think ramps up our win total. Chris Paul is still elite when healthy