What's new

i'm quite disgusted with the NBA refs tonight turning a blind eye to westbrook's actions.

The officiating in several games has been horrific but it has not favored either team. Game 4 was the worst officiating I have seen in years and I think in general that NBA officials do a good job (other than on traveling calls). All of that being said, Russ clearly broke a rule that has a clearly spelled out consequence and they gave him a pass. It might be the right thing to do but it is indisputable that he was given a pass.
this. ^^
Russ was the instigator of most of the $#!% during that game. That he gets a pass will only encourage him to continue, or increase his "intensity". If he hurts one of our guys, it will be partly on the nba. We had that game under control and he was out of line with the hack on Crowder. What do you think will happen if the game is in reach, at home, and Juan Stockton is going off?
Refs have a hard job. They make it harder by being inconsistent. When they make exceptions for guys based on "star "power, or circumstances that favor one team, it aggravates the other players, and encourages bad behaviour by the star.
That said I'm glad they didn't suspend him for this game. We'll beat them because we are the better team, not because they are missing one of their "stars"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

It’s not even that... they decided to suspend Draymond in the finals cuz LBJ stepped over him and flopped... coulda said nah guys we don’t want something that silly to decide the finals... instead they suspended and changed the nba champion basically to ... uphold the integrity... rules are rules... blah blah.

So they inconsistently apply rules in different areas... it’s maddening. The mvp of our league this year has one signature move that is pretty clearly a travel and is basically known to seek out defenders arms and trick refs... letter of the law say he can gather and that he swings his arms through and it’s a foul.

Again just come out and say it... we don’t want a flaw in the rule book help decide a playoff series... so we will fix the flaw and here is how we are interpreting this instance.

They pick and choose what and who they protect and it’s frustrating. Someday maybe we are on the other side of that equation... or maybe not.

The inconsistency in applying their own rules is my biggest problem with this decision too. We all know for a fact that if it was some bench player leaving the bench/sideline during an altercation then the rule would be followed to the letter and that player would be suspended. If it was Terrance Ferguson he'd be suspended. If it was Dante Exum he'd be suspended. But since it's Russell Westbrook and Steven Adams the NBA finds a way to work around the rule. It's clear preferential treatment for certain players.

Remember that time when Russell Westbrook broke the league rules, was allowed to play, and ended up being by far the difference maker in a game? Yeah... bravo. So... if it wasn't an altercation then why did Westbrook get assessed a technical foul after the game? And why did he get away with slapping Gobert's arm and instigating the situation. Because the NBA sells superstar gizz to hungry Asians looking for Salty Marshmallow Aphrodisiac juice.

I hope we destroy them in game 6 big time. If not, they won't beat us 3 games in a row. Of that I am sure. We beat the Clippers on their court last year. Gobert was the difference. It won't happen again without NBA refsistance.

Westbrook playing last night was insulting to logical neutral NBA fans. Westbrook going off last night leading his team to a win just shows you the NBA just flat out doesn't give a **** about the rules.

Harden blatantly travels on his signature move. LeBron sometimes bulls through people. Stars travel all the time. Role players get called like its college and stars don't.

I mean, as Jazz fans, we should know this. For f sake, MJ's legendary shot was so clearly an offensive foul but that didn't fit the narrative.

The NBA is hard to watch after last night.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Rough rough game last night. Obviously if Russ is out they are done. The rules are clear... player is not waived in then he is not participating if he is not participating he needs to stay on the bench during an altercation... Russ came out and got involved in the altercation...

I wouldn’t be such a stickler here but the rule has always been ruthlessly interpreted no matter what the stakes are.

Rudy’s 4th foul was a joke... and was the main factor in the run... Rudy’s 5th was questionable seeing as PG has been more active with his off arm than anyone and I think he’s been called for it all of one time.

The truly sad thing was we straight panicked and stopped trusting the system when shots missed. The crowd momentum really worked against us. I think we still win but we could have won that game by just trusting the system and not freaking out... refs would not have mattered.

The truly sad thing was we straight panicked and stopped trusting the system when shots missed. The crowd momentum really worked against us. I think we still win but we could have won that game by just trusting the system and not freaking out... refs would not have mattered.

This is the truth. And it seemed to me that the team understands this, according to their postgame comments. I would rather them experience this sort of thing now rather than later. Not that we'll be immune from blowing big leads in the future, but that we'll have this to think back on and remember that regardless of the score you keep the foot on the pedal.

I was impressed by Rudy's postgame comments. Kyle Goon tweeted a summary:

Rudy Gobert said the key for him going forward would be to avoid the first three fouls he got, which he felt were "stupid fouls that were on me."

Bingo. The team made mistakes. They know that. They own it. They'll rectify it.

Like I want to set aside any notion that the NBA is “fixed”

But I do think they have a profit motive. Last year revenue fell way short because of less playoff games...

From the article on Scott Foster who was voted the worst official and it was not close.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...t-referees-20160131-story.html?outputType=amp

Here is the quote that should make us nervous:

Foster, 48, who got the worst grades of any referee, has been in the business for 22 seasons.

"He had one of our playoff games and as soon as he walked in, I was like, 'This game is over.' We all knew we were going to get bad calls, and we did," said one veteran player. "You couldn't say anything to him. Hell, I don't think you could even look at him."

"You can't talk to him. He's never wrong," one player complained about Foster. "I like refs where they say, 'You know what, I made a mistake. I saw it at halftime. You were right.' But Scott Foster thinks he never makes a mistake. The players see the stats of how he is on the road. He always helps the road team out. He loves to stick it to teams."

Scott Foster is the ref Chris Paul was pissed at so maybe he doesn’t cater to stars... if we don’t get a fair whistle tonight after the non suspension and tough calls on Rudy and Favs then I may go full NBA conspiracy guy.

Again it’s not about one team to me... it is extending playoff series... Tony Brothers officiated Boston’s game last night... they had lost 6 straight playoff games he officiated... now 7.

The NBA is giving the tinfoil hat crowd a ton of ammo.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/11/04/foster

And I’m officially a tin foil hat guy... this was a guy who was close with Tim Donaghy and had a few hundred phone calls back and forth with Tim... based on the way Tim was betting games he may have “unknowingly” provided info to Tim.

I don’t know guys... can’t Monty come out of retirement and ref this game. Rudy needs to do the Capela one arm behind his back for the first quarter. No DM euro fouls... we need to conserve them all.

Puts tin foil hat back on...

Apparently haralobob posted a tweet two years ago about Scott Foster having a 13 game road team winning streak in the playoffs... after the tweet the streak was miraculously broken.

Someone @ Bob and get him to post something.