What's new

INDIANA TOOK TALENT AGAIN

jazzfan1132

... looks like Pacers stole more talent ahead of us again.
George>Hayward and now Myles Turner>Trey Lyles.

They didn't steal him. They merely made a good draft choice. I was the biggest Turner fan on here but he was taken directly prior to our pick and so one can't cry over scoring Turner.

Lyles is looking pretty good

He runs like he's about to **** himself though.. Jeff Withey is damn servicable as a backup C, and he's undercontract for a pittance - Would he have even gotten a shot if the pick was Turner??

Would Turner be able to fill in for Favors as Lyles has??No way, maybe he'd be productive but the floor balance wouldn't be nearly the same..

At one point some posters here, and HS scouting services thought he had more talent than Towns too.. (preseason and early in the year when UT was running good) They also said Myls Turner has 3pt range, and said Trey Lyles can't shoot -- how's that working out??

Theres infact a greater scarcity of players like Lyles, IMO. At least ones in the Jazz projected range coming thru the pipelines -- I can fill this thread with 20 posts of 6'11" players born from 1995-2000 that can shoot.

They found Rudy at the bottom of the first..

Another question to the jilted Myles Turner supporters here -- How many of ya's thought Turner was gonna be better than Porzingis?!

I'm happy with both Hayward and Lyles so far

Are we going to complain about every good player we could have drafted? What about the ones we drafted and became much better players than others picked ahead of them (Gobert, Hood) ?

Pointless thread

I'm not ready to proclaim MT as the steal of the draft just yet after one monster game. Anyone remember Trey Burke scoring 30 vs. Orlando his rookie year?
Turner is a less athletic more finesse version of Derrick Favors. Lyles has shown potential to be a strech 4, I don't really see that in Turner.

Turner is a good player. I'm happy with lyles. Sacramento and some other teams will likely regret passing on Myles. Good basketball player but an even better human. Hard worker... His run was so awkward that I really didn't want the Jazz to pick him but then the guy actually hired a coach and did some medical analysis on the issue and discovered a strength deficiency and worked on his running technique. Shows great work ethic and self awareness. Many of these guys would have just said it isn't and issue and tried to brush past it... He faced it head on. I wish the kid all the success he's worked for.

Lyles is developing into exactly the kind of front court piece we need. Shooting, driving, passing, and he's had some good moments on defense. Dude is young... His in season improvement in his game and confidence has been phenomenal.

I'm happy with both Hayward and Lyles so far

Are we going to complain about every good player we could not have drafted? What about the ones we drafted and became much better players than others picked ahead of them (Gobert, Hood) ?

Pointless thread

Fixed

Indiana taking Turner felt like a dagger when it happened. Lyles is nice though.

Also, based on what everyone knew about Turner's offense coming into the draft, and seeing that video, exactly what concerns are there about his about his ability to play WITH Gobert? He's agile and has great shooting touch. Great arc too.

I felt there was a big dropoff from Turner to Lyles and wanted them to trade the pick after he was off the board. Glad to see Lyles is producing but watching them play think its fairly obvious Turner is a tier above.

Indiana taking Turner felt like a dagger when it happened. Lyles is nice though.

Also, based on what everyone knew about Turner's offense coming into the draft, and seeing that video, exactly what concerns are there about his about his ability to play WITH Gobert? He's agile and has great shooting touch. Great arc too.

Well the biggest negative on him is that he ran funny and had to be taught how to run properly or he would probably injure himself.

Turner fractured his thumb trying to put the ball on the floor earlier this season... he's not a good passer, and he's not a threat to drive, I'd say the way he moves is conducive to injuries also... Lyles keeps the defense on their heels because he's a triple threat, With Turner out there next to Rudy defenders would be able to hunker down in the passing lanes to disrupt the offense.. Turner would provide amuch more predictable look for the opposing defense playing next to Rudy IMO.

The Jazz run the shot clock out on offense, Trey Lyles is a perfect fit for that ****.

I don't think Turner can bring it like this!

giphy.gif

Turner looks exactly like I expected him to. I'd have loved if the Jazz had gotten him. Have to get talent in the building first and foremost. It's stupid to draft for need in the NBA. Didn't think nearly as highly of Trey Lyles, but he's come a long way in a short time and made me a believer. Trey will be fine - and possibly special after he rounds his body into elite NBA shape. His playmaking skills alone are a valuable resource to have. The fact that he's shooting well and stretching things out. . .? Even better.

Another question to the jilted Myles Turner supporters here -- How many of ya's thought Turner was gonna be better than Porzingis?!

I didn't know a lot about Porzingis. From what I knew, I though Porz had a higher chance of being a bust. It's tougher to evaluate Euros and how their game will translate. Though Turner is converting from the field at a crazy-good rate - much better than Porzingis.

Not sure he and Gobert works. Offense yes, defense, no. We need Gobert in the middle, Turner guarding on the perimeter would be a disaster. I haven't seen much of Turner, but not sure he's quick enough to guard smaller 4's imagine him trying to guard a Morris twin or Dreymod Green, yikes!!