What's new

Is Derrick Favors the best player on this team?

Favors is tops right now. He keep playing like this he's going to the Allstar game hands down.

I agree with what you said, but I think Gobert is the best player.

Gobert may be sloppy on offense, but I think his defense has the biggest impact out of everyone. Again, I agree Hayward and Favors are more skilled and well rounded, but it can't be ignored how big the difference is when Gobert isn't in the game compared to when he is. I know you can't get it done with Gobert alone, but he'd be the last player I'd dare trade away.

I kind of agree. Gobert simply changes the game. I feel like we have a chance going into any game because of Gobert. Favors is quite the two-way player now, though. He's scored 20+ in half of our games so far, and I think he could have had more games like that if he hadn't gotten the flu. It's close between Favors and Gobert.

Hayward has definitely been the best player overall the past few years, but my rankings of who has played the best so far this season would be:

1. Favors
2. Gobert
3. Burks
4. Hayward
5. Burke
6. Hood

I expect Hayward to eventually be put back in contention with Favors and Gobert, but he hasn't been as good so far.

I'm hoping Hayward's struggles are a result of working out the wrinkles with each of our "studs" getting enough touches. Chemistry basically. Which will come in time.

We got this.

I kind of agree. Gobert simply changes the game. I feel like we have a chance going into any game because of Gobert. Favors is quite the two-way player now, though. He's scored 20+ in half of our games so far, and I think he could have had more games like that if he hadn't gotten the flu. It's close between Favors and Gobert.

Hayward has definitely been the best player overall the past few years, but my rankings of who has played the best so far this season would be:

1. Favors
2. Gobert
3. Burks
4. Hayward
5. Burke
6. Hood

I expect Hayward to eventually be put back in contention with Favors and Gobert, but he hasn't been as good so far.
I believe Favors is almost as good as Gobert defensively and far more versatile on that end of the floor. While Favors is light years ahead of Gobert on offense. I think Gobert gets seriously over rated as an over all player because of the worthless guy he replaced. He's good but he's not even in the discussion as best player on the team, IMO.

I believe Favors is almost as good as Gobert defensively and far more versatile on that end of the floor. While Favors is light years ahead of Gobert on offense. I think Gobert gets seriously over rated as an over all player because of the worthless guy he replaced. He's good but he's not even in the discussion as best player on the team, IMO.
Totally disagree.

Gobert is so unique. You put him on any team and they instantly get better on defense.

It's not just because he replaced Kanter who was terrible. Gobert is actually an elite defender.

Hayward is our best player, but Favors is currently playing the best.

Gobert isn't the best, his offensive game is too limited, but he is irreplaceable.

Hood could become the best. Has all the tools, just needs to become consistent.

Gobert isn't the best, his offensive game is too limited, but he is irreplaceable.

Zero chance Hood becomes the best player on this team. Zero.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Some good posts in this thread. The Jazz players are playing better than I expected them to. Maybe excluding Hayward, but he will be playing great come January.

Gobert has kind of settled into a known quantity, which is basically dpoy. I was hoping for more offense from him this year, but his passing has been awesome.

Burks is winning me back. He has been pretty impressive.

I think burks is good, but the question I have is can he contribute efficiently? The last few games, he has been shooting threes and driving and dishing. That completely changes how defenses see him. He can be pretty damn good if he keeps improving like that.

I don't disagree that he is one of the four best on the team right now, I just think there is a clear step down from the other three. I hope he proves me wrong though. Like I said above, passing and volume of threes taken will go a long way toward his growth. And defense.
But that is the point of my post.
I said that this year he has been our second best player because of the fact that he is doing what you said you want him to do (playing efficiently).

I don't think I was being a homer at all. I think it's a fact that he has been one of our best players this year and that he has a good amount of upside and untapped potential still.

I had him ranked last when I ranked them by their overall carers.

I had him second so far this season.

And I had him second when projecting future.

How exactly is that being a homer?

If I was being a homer doesn't it seem like I might put him #1 somewhere at least?

How is Hayward our best player?

Rudy might be our most important player, but he isn't the 'best'. I don't know if that makes sense.

Basically, the way I see it, a season-ending injury to Rudy would be most damaging to the Jazz record this season.

With that said, I think Favors is becoming our best player (crazy). His defense is unreal, and his offense has been all-star calibre so far this season. If he sustains this play, there's simply no way that we don't make the playoffs. If we're 5-5 (with 8 away games) with Hayward playing like ***, i think it's safe to say that we're clearing 46-48 games this season barring significant injury.

As of now

1) Hayward
2) Favors
3) Gobert
4a) Alec
4b) Hood
5) Trey

That's a damn good core to develop for this season. I'm realizing how important the development of Trey Lyles is. If he can be the Odom to our Gasol and Bynum, that's simply huge for this team.

Next season, sign one more 3-point shooter, and maybe a top-shelf PG if Burke doesn't show starting panache. Cue playoff-run :)

The big question for us going into the playoffs will be if Hayward can be a Lebron, Melo, or Durant stopper.

The big question for us going into the playoffs will be if Hayward can be a Lebron, Melo, or Durant stopper.
That would be awesome if we needed Hayward to stop melo in the playoffs.
That would mean we would be playing in the nba finals.

because 10 games don't define players

No, I'm not talking about 10 games. I like Hayward a lot. But he'd be the third most devastating guy to lose for the year. And he has no elite skill.

Incredibly solid player, but you tell me how he's better than Favors or Gobert. If Hayward went down I really wouldn't feel terrible about Burks and Hood. If Rudy or Favors went down.... You watch that Magic game?

Hayward is still the best player on the team. 8 games does not undo all of what happened last year.

Favors and Hayward are the most complete players on our team.

Gobert and Burks are stronger in the areas they specialize in, but don't have the all around games and versatility that Hayward/Favors have.

1a. Hayward
1b. Favors
2. Gobert
3. Burks

Agree. Hayward is in a slump. Expect him to have a stretch where he completely dominates and erases his poor start. Favs is definitely the most improved and over the first 10 games has been the best. Hood just needs to become more consistent. Gobert has been kind of disappointing; he really hasn't improved.

Dalamon is saying everything I'm thinking.