What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 8 - To Convey Or Not To Convey and Let’s Start A Discussion About Collin Sexton

I've missed quite a few games lately, are Keyonte and Collin on court together often? How do they look? Can they coexist?
They are fine for now. Neither guy dominates the ball. Its tough to make heads or tails of the lineup stuff right now as everything is really jumbled and in flux.

I've missed quite a few games lately, are Keyonte and Collin on court together often? How do they look? Can they coexist?
They have been the starting guard pair for last 8 or so games. In last 8 they have shared the court for 187 minutes so little over 22 minutes per game. Total 413 minutes for the season.

Defensively its rough. They both try but Keyonte hasnt figured most of it out yet and Sexton still has the tendency to get confused and lose his assigments. On offense Collin is consistently good and when Keyonte is brewing the good stuff they look great. They are -10 over the last 8 games as a pair but that is with a lackluster supporting cast (especially with Lauri playing pretty bad lately) and mostly against starting units, so not too bad all things considered.

For them to become a viable pair, its all about defense really.

I personally need to work on getting in that mindset of the opposite side of the argument. It’s not easy to do right away and I do understand the criticisms of us agreeing on everything and think they are valid. I will work on it.
I haven't listened to this one yet. So this isn't about you. But I'm general if you can't argue both sides it shows a really strong bias, which with sports takes can be okay. But worse is I usually assume the person doesn't understand the situation/argument if they don't know both sides. I know both you guys are knowledgeable due to posts in here, so I generally don't think that of you guys, but that's how it comes off.

And I'm okay if they want to trade him for a great return that includes those things... but just trade Lauri and go fully into the tank if you do that.
That's a pretty extreme take that isn't necessarily true. I know you're pretty bias on Sexton but we can definitely trade him, still be an improved team, and don't need to rebuild/sell Lauri.

Not a fan of his playstyle. He is good... what does that have anything to do with this convo.
Also, trae can only dream of being as efficient as sexton.
Sexton is better from the field, three point line, free throw line, and efg% true shooting%.
By like a lot.

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Regarding Sexton and Keyonte, I think we should consider that it's fairly likely that Keyonte does not make any major improvements in year 2, which means there is a good chance he will not be a winning player next year. If we are trying to win next year, then we should try and keep Sexton or make sure we have a competent point guard available.

When I was scrolling through OBPM to see the leaders, Sexton has the 2nd lowest DBPM among the top offensive players, right next to Trae Young.

That's a pretty extreme take that isn't necessarily true. I know you're pretty bias on Sexton but we can definitely trade him, still be an improved team, and don't need to rebuild/sell Lauri.
Oh we can trade our second most productive player for picks and prospects and still improve… yeah I’m the one who’s biased.

Good episode again. I thought you pumped Sexton's tires a bit too much though. ... I don't mind at all if you guys agree with each other as long as you also present the opposing arguments or positions which you did on the “convey or not convey” debate.

Another thing about sexton is that he has been incredibly efficient and incredibly consistently efficient over his entire career. He had one year total of poor efficiency. The year when he only played 11 games. Every other season he has been very efficient.
This season he is averaging a career high in points per game (26.0 ppg per 36) while also having a career high year in efficiency (True shooting %, Efg%) and at the same time a career high in assists by a very large margin (8.9 assists. Previous career high was 6.1) and keeping his turnovers down (2.8 per game. Trae for comparison at 4.3 turnovers per game).
Minutes are just too low this year for how well he is playing. Almost any player in the league who produces like sexton does is averaging more than 25 minutes per game.

Last edited:
Good episode again. I thought you pumped Sexton's tires a bit too much though. ... I don't mind at all if you guys agree with each other as long as you also present the opposing arguments or positions which you did on the “convey or not convey” debate.
Fair. We just both felt his tires needed to be pumped cuz there are enough people letting air out or not quite understanding how good he’s been. It was a lovefest though lol.

Another thing about sexton is that he has been incredibly efficient and incredibly consistently efficient over his entire career. He had one year total of poor efficiency. The year when he only played 11 games. Every other season he has been very efficient.
This season he is averaging a career high in points per game (26.0 ppg per 36) while also having a career high year in efficiency (True shooting %, Efg%) and at the same time a career high in assists by a very large margin (8.9 assists. Previous career high was 6.1) and keeping his turnovers down (2.8 per game. Trae for comparison at 4.3 turnovers per game).
Minutes are just too low this year for how well he is playing. Almost any player in the league who produces like sexton does is averaging more than 25 minutes per game.
Almost like the Jazz are trying to pump his value since they know his per minute stats are off the chart and that he is somewhat injury prone due to his style of play. Less minutes equals crazier per minute stats/advanced stats and less risk of injury. Traded in the off-season

Almost like the Jazz are trying to pump his value since they know his per minute stats are off the chart and that he is somewhat injury prone due to his style of play. Less minutes equals crazier per minute stats/advanced stats and less risk of injury. Traded in the off-season
We all know your theory.
Was doing the same thing to simone I guess. He is balling now with more minutes.

Playing guys less minutes than normal is kind of hardys thing. (clarkson and keyonte being the exceptions. He likes guys who take tough inefficient shots a lot i think)

Makes sense… will leave room for that big THT extension.

It will just never not be funny to me how much people want to ignore how Keyonte is treated vs how Sexton is treated and act like that isnt a huge indicator on how the Jazz see the future of the team.

Let's not forget to start the year the Jazz thought THT was the better player to start instead of Sexton. It's very clear the Jazz view Sexton as a 6th man and he has outplayed that role. You think that is suddenly going to make DA forget his mantra of wanting to build the team w/ height and make Sexton the starting 2 guard of the future?

Whether you agree or disagree with the FO…it is hard to ignore that the FO/coaching staff doesn’t seem to be super high on him. Like you said all the signs were there. They believed in THT more than Sexton to start the year. They rolled out the red carpet to let Keyonte start near the beginning of the season. Clarkson can basically do no wrong and will almost always get the minutes over Sexton. Even when the Jazz were on that streak and Sexton was trying people, his minutes weren’t super high. I mean….this podcast was talking about why he should play more minutes. That’s a clear sign that the Jazz are relatively low on him.

Like I said, anyone can have their own opinion on Sexton, hard to ignore that internally the Jazz are cooler on him than the fan base. OTOH, they are sky high on Key and giving him every opportunity. Sexton and Key are not a long term fit. I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem that has to be solved now…but it’s pretty clear who the FO is leaning towards if/when a decision has to be made.

Whether you agree or disagree with the FO…it is hard to ignore that the FO/coaching staff doesn’t seem to be super high on him. Like you said all the signs were there. They believed in THT more than Sexton to start the year. They rolled out the red carpet to let Keyonte start near the beginning of the season. Clarkson can basically do no wrong and will almost always get the minutes over Sexton. Even when the Jazz were on that streak and Sexton was trying people, his minutes weren’t super high. I mean….this podcast was talking about why he should play more minutes. The reason he doesn’t is that the FO/coaching staff does not believe in him as much as you’d expect.

Like I said, anyone can have their own opinion on Sexton, hard to ignore that internally the Jazz are cooler on him than the fan base. OTOH, they are sky high on Key and giving him every opportunity. Sexton and Key are not a long term fit. I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem that has to be solved now…but it’s pretty clear who the FO is leaning towards if/when a decision has to be made.
It has to be solved by Sexton's next contract imo. I think if you want max value on a Sexton trade you want to do it at or before next year's deadline