What's new

Game Thread Jan 03, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Pistons

Added to Calendar: 01-03-24

Yeah they also had some clips showing him on the bench in the Pistons feed (just flashes), but he seemed to be into it and genuinely celebrating our good plays.

I think the 10 minute stints are more harmful than helpful for his next bag (hard to produce or find any rhythm with spot minutes), so it could be that he sits out to protect his per games, and is fine with it. Trading a DNP-CD guy for value is tough, but he is a perfect salary filler.. so he might get moved. But I think he also might stay as a DNP until injuries or poor play by someone opens up an opportunity for him to get more solid minutes.

My thoughts:
  • It should have not been a revelation that Bogey and Burks are comfortable shooting in Delta Center. Yet either Hardy didn't communicate that or our players didnt #takenote, as we obviously gave those guys more than enough space. I mean giving up the shots we did against some league average guys is ok, but when you got an elite 3P shooter like Bogey in his former home arena it might be wise to just chase him off the line every time. Especially in the minutes when Kessler was in. Also lets not pretend like there wasnt tape on Bogey loving to sidestep contests..
  • Speaking of their shooting... MAN did they shoot well. But so did we especially towards the end of it.
  • Ochai was a bum today. I mean he is usually ok as a high energy role player and has great flashes (mostly in transition), but this game he had dumb fouls and weak contests, along with 1 really nice assist and 1 triple.
  • We essentially stayed in this game by the power of the charity stripe. Maybe a small part of that was getting a favourable whistle but one part was definitely us drawing contact and shooting lights out from the line.
  • We have been cooking opponents lately in half-court play but I feel like this game Pistons played with huge energy advantage that gave them a slight edge. They got a lot of the shots they wanted (Cade layups and Bogey 3s in particular), and we didnt create the same kind of advantage in easy buckets as we have had lately. If it wasnt for Kessler making some stops or the Pistons not turning the ball over as much as they did, we might have seen them drop 150 in regulation.
This could have been an easy game if we didnt allow Bogey and Burks to take a combined 24 three pointers in their old home arena.... but I guess a dub is a dub.

Paint protection? One of the best in the league in Kessler
Shooting? Fontechio, Lauri, Clarkson, sexton can ask shoot it.
Driving/iso? Clarkson, tech, and Sexton. Lauri in the post.
Rebounding? 2 7 footers, tech and mister triple double

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Is this the championship train? I hop on board!

Is this the championship train? I hop on board!
I think he was just talking about the lineup we had on the floor.

Our "best 5" is a really solid unit, since Hardy is putting the actual best 5 out there on heat check and matchup basis, instead of the same 5 guys every time. We are one of the best clutch teams in the league because of that.

Just watch the replay as i was not avalaible today. A win is a win, We did not play defense but they didn't too. Hardy seems to find out more or less the rotation. Nice to see. Road still long but with some improvment, we may be able to go into Play-in.

During the game these two talked to each other and laughed a fair amount. The rest of the time tht watched a bit and cheered but he was really disengaged for the most part. He started off into the crowd a lot while the coaches were talking and yawned a lot. He seemed to know he wasn't going into the game. He wasn't brooding or anything though.
That also perfectly supports the notion that he is sitting to protect his numbers and is on board with that.

I'm not buying "trade in the works" theories as I just dont see THT being a featured piece in a trade. He is the perfect salary filler, which is the only way I see him being traded. Otherwise he will stay as a reserve for us, and likely get some run if we consolidate, if the injury bug bites or if someone starts playing bad.

I kind of hate these contextless records with and without guys stats. Cy put one in another thread as well and they are so misleading.
I think he is just trolling Cy, but there is also some point to it.

We are also 6-4 without Clarkson, and 4-2 without Keyonte. Our record with Keyonte, JC, Sexton and THT all playing is abysmal (5-14).

The Knicks game started our current 9-3 run, and its not coincidence that that was the first game in that longer Clarkson absence (he had missed few games earlier, where we went 2-2). Then he came back and Hardy had realized that he cant play all 4 of the guys mentioned above, and THT was just the odd man out. I dont think he is that much worse (in fact he is better than Keyonte at least), but Sexton elevated his game during the absences and then Clarkson also started to pick things up, so it had to be him or Keyonte thats left out.

Ya basically playing him more helps you win more. Keeps happening over and over again during this good stretch for the jazz. He comes in and the jazz play better almost every single time. Team high +15 tonight.

Still didn't get 30 minutes tonight even with overtime lol.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
As it should be. Hardy using him perfectly.