What's new

Game Thread Jan 03, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Pistons

Added to Calendar: 01-03-24

So Locke was saying that the Jazz performance in the clutch is unsustainable. And yet. . .

Seriously though, mostly it comes from Hardy finally stopping screwing around and putting Kessler in the game to close it out.
Hardy has closed games during his stretch without Walker....

That also perfectly supports the notion that he is sitting to protect his numbers and is on board with that.

I'm not buying "trade in the works" theories as I just dont see THT being a featured piece in a trade. He is the perfect salary filler, which is the only way I see him being traded. Otherwise he will stay as a reserve for us, and likely get some run if we consolidate, if the injury bug bites or if someone starts playing bad.
Man, really use your brain.

Yes, the Jazz are going to hold onto him in case they need salary filler, but if nothing materializes they can easily ship THT out to somebody. That might be what is being communicated. Yes, you will be traded, but we are holding out until we know we don't need the salary as part of a bigger trade.

In the mean time we won't give you garbage time run so your season averages aren't affected.

Belated takes:

- Entertaining game. Terrible at times, but... entertaining. Hardy again made several pretty big coaching blunders along the way , but luckily we survived them. (Please don't try to tell me that the players knew they were supposed to foul. They obviously didn't, and that's on the coach.)

- Another good game by Tech. Happy for the guy. He's remained a model citizen even when he was basically out of the rotation, so it's great to see how he's playing with confidence now. Fontecchio has a great motor and we really need that on this team. He can't always stay with smaller guys on the perimeter but he doesn't quit on plays and is always ready to move without the basketball. Tech has pretty much saved his NBA career IMO. It's great to have a role player who's used to being a top option scorer in his National Team. He doesn't hesitate.

- Detroit is kind of a tough matchup for us because they have a big, strong backcourt. That really exposes the defensive limitations of a guy like Sexton. There isn't anyone for him to guard. Collin tried to bug Cade the best he could, but the size difference was just too much. He looked like a kid playing against grown men.

- Another learning experience for Keyonte. You can see he still hasn't fully realized that you can't ever relax when you're defending the point of attack in the NBA. The second guys see you're zoning out or preparing to lazily go under, they'll take advantage. Key got benched for a reason.

- Detroit has a likable team. They really fight and they had done their homework, unlike the Jazz. The Pistons totally anticipated and stopped the tired old pindown/curl action we always run for Lauri. There was immediately a guy inside his jersey every time we telegraphed that we were gonna do it. While Lauri usually tries to call for a quick lob as a counter to the defense overplaying him, our guards rarely try that pass, particularly Sexton. We wasted a lot of energy and time with that crap.

I hope the Pistons dont waste Cade. He has a chance to be a top 20 player, but he isnt a undeniable top 20 kind of guy. He's going to need help to get there and IDK if the Pistons are capable of that as a franchise.

I hope the Pistons dont waste Cade. He has a chance to be a top 20 player, but he isnt a undeniable top 20 kind of guy. He's going to need help to get there and IDK if the Pistons are capable of that as a franchise.
Cade's problem is that he can't shoot. A smart team would just sag way off him and watch him malfunction. He's not exactly quick, but he'll get by you if you insist on guarding him like he's Steph Curry (which we did).

Man, really use your brain.

Yes, the Jazz are going to hold onto him in case they need salary filler, but if nothing materializes they can easily ship THT out to somebody. That might be what is being communicated. Yes, you will be traded, but we are holding out until we know we don't need the salary as part of a bigger trade.

In the mean time we won't give you garbage time run so your season averages aren't affected.
I just dont see him being a featured piece that brings back value. On a contender he is the 8th man at best, and even guard needy teams will try to find better options... I mean we are a guard needy team who needs better options.

So unless there is a bigger trade he is part of, I think he ends up riding the pine with us, waiting for an end of season tank or injuries.

I just dont see him being a featured piece that brings back value. On a contender he is the 8th man at best, and even guard needy teams will try to find better options... I mean we are a guard needy team who needs better options.

So unless there is a bigger trade he is part of, I think he ends up riding the pine with us, waiting for an end of season tank or injuries.
Who cares about value?

If Rich Paul is telling you please trade my guy if you arent going to give him minutes, you need to trade him. He's having a good year and someone will give up a 2nd rounder for him and match expiring salary. Maybe its an incredibly low value 2nd, or like a fake one that will never happen, but you got to trade him.

Like it or not, agents have incredible power. Asking for a trade for a guy like THT isnt asking the Jazz to move mountains.

Rich is the guy who negotiated the Clarkson contract, which was an incredibly team friendly deal that let the Jazz structure it in a way that really benefitted their future operations. They are going to respect his request for a THT trade (if that is wnat's happening)

Cade's problem is that he can't shoot. A smart team would just sag way off him and watch him malfunction. He's not exactly quick, but he'll get by you if you insist on guarding him like he's Steph Curry (which we did).
Cade just has to take the right 3 pointers. If he had a better offensive around him to set him up now and then, he would be viewed as a much better shooter. He's just not a pull-up threat at all.

What are the rules regarding a foul on AB there at the end wrt take foul? I think you're in real danger of getting a take foul if you just foul from behind. If you can get a "almost-looking-like-taking-a-charge" situation, or if you get in front and go for a legitimate steal attempt you're probably fine, but an old-fashioned foul would very quickly be 1 shot and the ball, no?

What are the rules regarding a foul on AB there at the end wrt take foul? I think you're in real danger of getting a take foul if you just foul from behind. If you can get a "almost-looking-like-taking-a-charge" situation, or if you get in front and go for a legitimate steal attempt you're probably fine, but an old-fashioned foul would very quickly be 1 shot and the ball, no?
The take foul rule is not enforced during the last two minutes of the 4th and last two of any OT period.

Every time Collins was in the game Detroit went on a run. This was due to a combination of his play on both ends. I don't mind him taking a 3, but they really need to look for a couple of higher % options before he shoots. There is a reason he continues to be open from 3.

Clarkson continues to lead the team in turnovers by a large margin, and most of them are head scratching. He had super human shooting % last night, but his TOs negated a lot of that leaving him at a plus 5. He used to do his overdribbling search in the paint when the offense broke down later in the shot clock. Wish that would become his standard M.O.

Kessler, Lauri and Simone had the biggest positive aspects by a large margin. Simone has really transformed this year. I really appreciate his rebouding, driving and efforts on defense. He has turned into the player many of us expected him to be after watching him overseas.

I wish Hardy would run some more wrinkles/rubs to get Lauri open.

Finally, the zone still has too many holes on the perimeter. I just don't think it will ever be effective the way they run it. Now if they implemented it for a possession here or there to confuse the opponent, that may habe more positive aspects. As we have seen multiple times, teams with good shooters feast against it.

In other words, it was a huge blunder and I'm thinking it was Hardy's fault.

If you want your players to foul in that situation, you make it absolutely crystal clear during the timeout.
IF you trust your team to get a rebound off a FT miss and not foul. Lots of variables, but yes, the general wisdom is to foul in that situation.

In other words, it was a huge blunder and I'm thinking it was Hardy's fault.

If you want your players to foul in that situation, you make it absolutely crystal clear during the timeout.
Fwiw I don't think there was a timeout.
I think Lauri nailed the 3 and then Burks took the inbounds and ran up the court for the buzzer beater (I could be wrong but that's how I remember it)

Either way I agree that they should have fouled and the fact they didn't falls on hardy.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Every time Collins was in the game Detroit went on a run. This was due to a combination of his play on both ends. I don't mind him taking a 3, but they really need to look for a couple of higher % options before he shoots. There is a reason he continues to be open from 3.

Clarkson continues to lead the team in turnovers by a large margin, and most of them are head scratching. He had super human shooting % last night, but his TOs negated a lot of that leaving him at a plus 5. He used to do his overdribbling search in the paint when the offense broke down later in the shot clock. Wish that would become his standard M.O.

Kessler, Lauri and Simone had the biggest positive aspects by a large margin. Simone has really transformed this year. I really appreciate his rebouding, driving and efforts on defense. He has turned into the player many of us expected him to be after watching him overseas.

I wish Hardy would run some more wrinkles/rubs to get Lauri open.

Finally, the zone still has too many holes on the perimeter. I just don't think it will ever be effective the way they run it. Now if they implemented it for a possession here or there to confuse the opponent, that may habe more positive aspects. As we have seen multiple times, teams with good shooters feast against it.
+/- is honestly the worst stat because of people who use it like this.

I think Lauri nailed the 3 and then Burks took the inbounds and ran up the court for the buzzer beater (I could be wrong but that's how I remember it)
Yes, but they would have talked that through on the timeout that happened with 15 secs left. The game was tied, Jazz had possession, and they drew up a play to get a pick and pop 3 for Lauri. He made it and they led by 3. It's inexcusable that there's any confusion as to what they do next in a situation like that.

It shouldn't have to come down to Hardy screaming anything from the sidelines. Most players won't hear him anyway.

Either way I agree that they should have fouled and the fact they didn't falls on hardy.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
He has told them before if that's the situation foul. He screamed to foul on the court. Literally everyone was screaming it. The entire stadium and the bench was like why aren't they fouling. That one's on Sexton.