What's new

Game Thread Jan 10, 2024 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 01-10-24

I hate that excuse and you always have one when we win. We’ve had injuries too. Markkanen has missed more games than LeBron, Davis and Reaves combined this year.
In fact, both Markkanen and Clarkson have done that individually. So its a double whammy.

I feel like I'm in a dream stage where I go watch every game and think "is the magic gonna run out tonight?". Then at times I start thinking that it isnt even magic, that we are just a good basketball team.

Lets be the first believer in this thread and declare that we win and its not us, but Denver, who is due.

To find biased evidence to support my weak belief, I went to look at their last 10 and compared it to ours. Its fair to say we have gotten our 8-2 against a much tougher schedule. I mean their 8 wins are all against teams that are currently sub .500, and the only 2 games against above .500 teams they lost. Now I know we are technically sub .500, but I'm predicting thats not gonna last for long.

View attachment 15725
First to declare this a win. Battle of the hottest teams was resolved in our favor.

Takes:

- This game was never in doubt. The Nuggets looked sluggish from the start, MPJ was MIA and Jokic couldn't find his usual passing lanes when it still mattered. Gordon was another guy who was rendered totally invisible by the Jazz anticipating everything Denver likes to do on offense. Jokic is a fantastic player but sometimes it seems like he checks out mentally for whatever reason... and it immediately affects everyone around him.

- Sexton is having a career season. The way he's improved his shot selection and facilitating is great to see, and although limited defensively, he plays so hard on that side of the ball too that it sets the tone and the whole team benefits. He's also learned that you don't need to go 100mph all the time – when you pick your spots and use that burst after lulling the D to sleep, it's just devastating. Collin is maturing as a basketball player before our eyes.

- Dunn with another great game. He's like a different player when he keeps his most problematic instincts (steal hunting and post scoring) in check and only uses them when the situation allows/demands it.

- Another pretty quiet offensive game by Lauri, saved by getting to the line over and over again. Not sure if he's playing slightly injured or something, but it seems he hasn't really had "pop" in his game for a while now. He has trouble going hard to the rack in half court drives and is double-clutching and changing his shots at the first sign of a shot blocker. Just can't get that elevation particularly off two feet.

(BTW: Lauri's 21-47 (that's 45% on high volume) from the perimeter over the last 6 games. If you'd asked me before I looked at any stats, I would've said that his shooting has been "ok I guess" but nothing special. That's what the expectations are like for this guy's night-in-night-out performance.)

- As much as we've given John Collins crap for his defense, I thought he did a good job on Jokic to start the game despite being WAY undersized for the job. I was surprised Jokic didn't try to go at him much, though.

Last edited:
Takes:

- This game was never in doubt. The Nuggets looked sluggish from the start, MPJ was MIA and Jokic couldn't find his usual passing lanes when it still mattered. Gordon was another guy who was rendered totally invisible by the Jazz anticipating everything Denver likes to do on offense. Jokic is a fantastic player but sometimes it seems like he checks out mentally for whatever reason... and it immediately affects everyone around him.

- Sexton is having a career season. The way he's improved his shot selection and facilitating is great to see, and although limited defensively, he plays so hard on that side of the ball too that it sets the tone and the whole team benefits. He's also learned that you don't need to go 100mph all the time – when you pick your spots and use that burst after lulling the D to sleep, it's just devastating. Collin is maturing as a basketball player before our eyes.

- Dunn with another great game. He's like a different player when he keeps his most problematic instincts (steal hunting and post scoring) in check and only uses them when the situation allows/demands it.

- Another pretty quiet offensive game by Lauri, saved by getting to the line over and over again. Not sure if he's playing slightly injured or something, but it seems he hasn't really had "pop" in his game for a while now. He has trouble going hard to the rack in half court drives and is double-clutching and changing his shots at the first sign of a shot blocker. Just can't get that elevation particularly off two feet.

(BTW: Lauri's 21-47 (that's 45% on high volume) from the perimeter over the last 6 games. If you'd asked me before I looked at any stats, I would've said that his shooting has been "ok I guess" but nothing special. That's what the expectations are like for this guy's night-in-night-out performance.)

- As much as we've given John Collins crap for his defense, I thought he did a good job on Jokic to start the game despite being WAY undersized for the job. I was surprised Jokic didn't try to go at him much, though.
Damn you beat me to a lot of my points. I was slow with my takes, so its all fair. Good job man.

I will add few points though:
  • Regular season Jamal Murray is not a great basketball player on either end of the court. At least he wasnt in this game.
  • Running Jokic back and forth between the 3 point line and paint was genious... when they were trying to mount a comeback he looked gassed. Collins was a major part of this, and we also feasted on Jokic late/missed closeouts.
  • Dunn was great as usual, but Ochai was a freaking pest on Murray when they were matched up. Like dude literally shut Murray down 1vs1 for a stretch.
Blowing out the Nuggets and having Murray and Jokic at team worst and 2nd worst BPM (-27 and -21) tells exactly how great we played. They both had over double their average turnovers (Jokic 6 vs 2.8 and Murray 4 vs 1.8).

• Running Jokic back and forth between the 3 point line and paint was genious... when they were trying to mount a comeback he looked gassed. Collins was a major part of this, and we also feasted on Jokic late/missed closeouts.
Another factor is that when Walker came in (and Jokic was there), he was sprinting down full court every opportunity, making Jokic hustle even more.

Another factor is that when Walker came in (and Jokic was there), he was sprinting down full court every opportunity, making Jokic hustle even more.
True. The one play where we shot a pretty quick transition 3 and Kessler was there to rebound and put it back after running past the ball in transition was awesome. I was like "how the hell did he get there".

Jokic defense reminds me a little bit of Okur. He can defend certain types of bigs individually okay, but overall a bad defender and can be exploited. I'm not sure why teams don't go after him more.

Jokic defense reminds me a little bit of Okur. He can defend certain types of bigs individually okay, but overall a bad defender and can be exploited. I'm not sure why teams don't go after him more.
Because he usually controls the game to such a large extent you can't put a guy like Collina on him. The Jazz landing the first punch from Collins was the most important part of the game.

Ya Walker had a huge impact on the third quarter on both ends. Made so many plays during that stretch.

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

I think that's Bryon Russell. Or am I looking at the wrong picture?
Ya it is bryon russell. Who is the dude next to him though? You have horny, tag, ?, and b russ.

Nuggets came in sluggish and when we got off to a hot start they didn’t want to put forth the energy. Great work being a pain in the *** and not letting em off the mat.