What's new

Game Thread Jan 10, 2024 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 01-10-24

I think this was one of the most unnoticed and underappreaciated plays of the game that I already mentioned in an earlier post. Check where Kessler is when Nuggest possession ends, and see how fast we put up the 3 pointer, and he still gets down the court fast enough for the rebound and putback.

Also one thing I dont think anyone mentioned, was that Will Hardy had a super sensitive trigger for timeouts to cut any momentum and potential runs by the Nuggets whenever his spider sense was tingling. At times it almost felt too quick, but you cant argue with the result.

Also one thing I dont think anyone mentioned, was that Will Hardy had a super sensitive trigger for timeouts to cut any momentum and potential runs by the Nuggets whenever his spider sense was tingling. At times it almost felt too quick, but you cant argue with the result.
Yeah he was very quick to cut any momentum, which is better than waiting too long. I also think he has certain big time triggers that if someone does on the court he immediately calls the time out to tell them they ****ed up. He seems to point out something to someone right after the timeout and seems heated about it at first and then explains in more detail what they did wrong and what to do next time.

I really really like the 5 out scheme for the Jazz.

Upgrade Dunn and Collins with similar usage players who have less fatal flaws and you are cooking with hot grease.

Dunn is an easy upgrade to envision. Caruso is there. That would be a massive upgrade.

Collins is a bit harder because the 4/5 combo who defends, is tough on the boards, can be a versatile defender and can shoot is more rare than it should be.

Not to **** on Kessler, but the great bigs in this league are so great you really can't deal with them by fighting fire with fire. It's great to have him on the bench as an option to deal with them when needed, but the true answer is what the Jazz did last night.

I really really like the 5 out scheme for the Jazz.

Upgrade Dunn and Collins with similar usage players who have less fatal flaws and you are cooking with hot grease.

Dunn is an easy upgrade to envision. Caruso is there. That would be a massive upgrade.

Collins is a bit harder because the 4/5 combo who defends, is tough on the boards, can be a versatile defender and can shoot is more rare than it should be.

Not to **** on Kessler, but the great bigs in this league are so great you really can't deal with them by fighting fire with fire. It's great to have him on the bench as an option to deal with them when needed, but the true answer is what the Jazz did last night.

I was thinking we should upgrade Fontecchio first.

Fontecchio is really solid though. You need that 5th man who you dont have to pay a lot but will play hard. I get the idea of upgrading him, but he's also really good at the 4th/5th option role.

He also doesnt have any glaring weaknesses like Collins/Dunn do, so the need to upgrade feels lesser to me.

Fontecchio is really solid though. You need that 5th man who you dont have to pay a lot but will play hard. I get the idea of upgrading him, but he's also really good at the 4th/5th option role.

He also doesnt have any glaring weaknesses like Collins/Dunn do, so the need to upgrade feels lesser to me.

I was thinking someone like DFS would be a nice upgrade over Simone.

Who else are some guys you like as an upgrade over Dunn outside of Caruso?

I kinda feel hesitant to talk that much about upgrading. We have an excellent supporting cast so I think we are basically talking about trading for one big piece to work besides Lauri rather than tinkering about with our role players. I think it is probable that the disruption would likely be a bigger minus than the potential positives with upgrades would bring.

I am also a believer in personal growth and am pretty sure there are new tricks to learn for everyone. To me it seems that Jazz has one of the best development crews in the NBA.

I agree, I think. Ideally Fontecchio would be a better defender/passer for the 5th man role.

My co worker guessed that the mystery dude in the middle is john crotty. I pulled up a picture of crotty when he is older and it kinda looks like him a little but i dont think that is who it is.
John Crotty is doing commentary for the Heat these days, as I discovered recently to my surprise.

I agree, I think. Ideally Fontecchio would be a better defender/passer for the 5th man role.
If Simone was any better than he currently is w/ an appreciable added skillset like passing/defending he'd be very expensive.

He's basically on the same level of DeAndre Hunter at a fraction of the price.

I was thinking someone like DFS would be a nice upgrade over Simone.

Who else are some guys you like as an upgrade over Dunn outside of Caruso?
Caruso is the only guy that would be a guaranteed massive upgrade (that seems gettable). The off limits dudes would be Derrick White/Jrue Holiday.

Tyus would also be nice, but he's small so you wouldnt have the same defensive impact of Dunn's help and ability to relieve Sexton of harder matchups regardless of size.

Dunn's path to this point is what makes me think there are definitely not many who bring more to the table. Being out of the league and working back up from G-league is something that shows a level of humility. He is such an example to the rest that with his skillset I think he remains our best option available for the position. No need to upgrade.

Besides bare skills, it comes down to team dynamics, where the team becomes better than the sum of its parts.

Outside of Lauri every starter should be considered for an upgrade if someone becomes available. I'm not sure who of the others I would upgrade first though if all things are equal. It really just depends on who we can get. All of our other starters could work with an upgrade lineup but all of them have flaws and are all of them could easily move to the bench nicely. I also don't really see any of them as untouchable or even close to that.

Dunn's path to this point is what makes me think there are definitely not many who bring more to the table. Being out of the league and working back up from G-league is something that shows a level of humility. He is such an example to the rest that with his skillset I think he remains our best option available for the position. No need to upgrade.

Besides bare skills, it comes down to team dynamics, where the team becomes better than the sum of its parts.
I mean, the Jazz are going to upgrade Dunn at some point in the near future. It might not be this year, but I would be fairly shocked if Dunn is the starting PG past this season.

He's proven me wrong. I didnt think his style would work against the better teams, but it has. But there has to be some kind of hard limit there. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

Outside of Lauri every starter should be considered for an upgrade if someone becomes available. I'm not sure who of the others I would upgrade first though if all things are equal. It really just depends on who we can get. All of our other starters could work with an upgrade lineup but all of them have flaws and are all of them could easily move to the bench nicely. I also don't really see any of them as untouchable or even close to that.
Sure, but there are upgrades to talent and upgrades to fit. I think there is something to what the Jazz have from a balance standpoint (like the reason you bench THT for Dunn isnt because of talent, it's because of fit), so I would air on the side of trying to maintain that balance by looking for upgrades that maintain that current level of balance.