What's new

Game Thread Jan 25, 2024 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Wizards

Added to Calendar: 01-25-24

Back on track! I knew it was nothing to worry about - OKC and NOLA are very good teams and Houston just got lucky. Adrian Griffin still has a job if it wasn’t for our upset win. In any event, everybody looked good tonight, particularly Lauri, good sign. We gettin our edge back.

I'm not sure who was worse bilali or keyonte tonight. Keyonte has been borderline unplayable the last few games imo.
Well Hardy gave him a long rope tonight and at least he didn’t hang us with it. Just a lot of rookie mistakes from a guy that needs reps and confidence playing in the Bigs imo. Black is no better imo.

Rough games from Sexton, Clarkson, and Kessler. Amazing game from Lauri as usual. John Collins was really solid as well in this one. Keyonte shot was off but he had some great passes. He just needs to get stronger and more playing time. He is going to be good.

We need to make some trades but mostly we can't have both Sexton and Clarkson. They are just too similar in a good way and a bad way for the team. I don't really care which one.

John Collins with his 7 offensive rebounds and 10 putback points was really a positive force on the offensive end.. His 2nd chance points and general efficient offence was also a major factor why we eventually pulled away in the 3rd. I'm not too happy with our defense, but at least we didnt give up as easy buckets as we did to the Pels. They got a lot of open/free shots from the middle of the zone though, which also sort of inflated their paint points.

I'm not entirely sure why Hardy decided to ride Key/Clarkson all the way, might have something to do with holding on to that good offensive flow they got going in the 3rd. I just thought it didnt really last all the way to the end, so I would have subbed in Sexton at least. Or then maybe Hardy didnt want to go to the Sexton + JC closing combo which lost us a few games recently, so it was more of a choice between the two.

I'm not sure if we have closed a game with that exact lineup before (Key, JC, Ochai, JC, Lauri). Hardy isnt afraid to try new things thats for sure.

Is it over yet?

- What a slog. If I was a Wiz fan, I don't know if I could deal with life. Some of their guys look like they're serving life sentences instead of being paid millions of dollars to play basketball. Just a disaster of a team.

- Gafford's motor is something to behold. He made Kessler look like a wet paper towel. Some team needs to rescue this dude.

- Speaking of Kessler... a team-worst -7 and another game where he's in foul trouble because he doesn't try to play any regular, hard defense, just keeps jumping up and down on his tippy toes trying to get blocks against athletic, undersized "bigs". Incidentally, I'm selling all my Walker stock if anyone's interested.

- The Sexton benching could be seen coming a mile away and it finally happened. Oh how the turntables. He's played well this season but this recent stretch of games has showed that he's still the same old Collin who will get out of control if you let him. It may be that Sexton is just one of those guys who need constant reminding and/or the threat of disciplinary action to play in a certain way. Maybe that's the price you pay for his crazy intensity.

- Transition Ochai sighting. As well as an "Clanking from Corner Ochai" sighting. The yin and the yang.

- Once again, I can deal with rookie mistakes. What I can't deal with is the way Keyonte keeps quitting on defensive plays and generally moving like he's asleep on that side of the ball. He hasn't earned the right to take plays off. IMO he needs a trip to the G-League. His box score really flatters him.

- Collins with a classic "Oh ****, I might get traded if I don't get my **** together" game. He was like a man possessed hunting those offensive boards.

Last edited:
Is it over yet?

- What a slog. If I was a Wiz fan, I don't know if I could deal with life. Some of their guys look like they're serving life sentences instead of being paid millions of dollars to play basketball. Just a disaster of a team.

- Gafford's motor is something to behold. He made Kessler look like a wet paper towel. Some team needs to rescue this dude.

- Speaking of Kessler... a team-worst -7 and another game where he's in foul trouble because he doesn't try to play any regular, hard defense, just keeps jumping up and down on his tippy toes trying to get blocks against athletic, undersized "bigs". Incidentally, I'm selling all my Walker stock if anyone's interested.

- The Sexton benching could be seen coming a mile away and it finally happened. Oh how the turntables. He's played well this season but this recent stretch of games has showed that he's still the same old Collin who will get out of control if you let him. It may be that Sexton is just one of those guys who need constant reminding and/or the threat of disciplinary action to play in a certain way. Maybe that's the price you pay for his crazy intensity.

- Transition Ochai sighting. As well as an "Clanking from Corner Ochai" sighting. The yin and the yang.

- Once again, I can deal with rookie mistakes. What I can't deal with is the way Keyonte keeps quitting on defensive plays and generally moving like he's asleep on that side of the ball. He hasn't earned the right to take plays off. IMO he needs a trip to the G-League. His box score really flatters him.

- Collins with a classic "Oh ****, I might get traded if I don't get my **** together" game. He was like a man possessed hunting those offensive boards.
Fun read. I will say I'd like to buy your Kessler stock. Yes he seems jittery this year and he needs someone to yell in his face or something at practice. But I tell you that light is coming on soon. I'll take your Ochai stock too. Eventually I think he stops playing like some kind of ghost. He'll learn he can't get by on looks alone and can get where he wants when he wants at any time. The shot form looks good. I see another Shane Battier maybe. These 2 guys need a man in their basketball lives. Gosh I miss Jerry Sloan.

Last edited:
I'll take your Ochai stock too. Eventually I think he stops playing like some kind of ghost. He'll learn he can't get by on looks alone and can get where he wants when he wants at any time. I see another Shane Battier maybe. These 2 guys need a man in their basketball lives. Gosh I miss Jerry Sloan.
Apparently Ochai screamed at Olynyk at some point for not passing him the ball when he thought he was open.

I can definitely see that happening. Kelly is low key cold like that. For a guy who has a rep as a great and willing passer, he definitely will look you off if he thinks you don't have it.

Apparently Ochai screamed at Olynyk at some point for not passing him the ball when he thought he was open.

I can definitely see that happening. Kelly is low key cold like that. For a guy who has a rep as a great and willing passer, he definitely will look you off if he thinks you don't have it.
Yes agree about KO. When he got into it a bit with Portis the other night he seemed utterly unfazed. Like it never happened. The man sleeps good at night. Gives zero *****

Is it over yet?

I'll take those Walker stocks, I still believe.

Also, while Ochai didn't hit his shots, I did try to pay attention to how they played him, and they never left him open when they could help it. He had that one great transition block, but also excellent transition D on a few other occasions (Dunn too, and Lauri, and Collins). Rough game for him offensively (again), though.

Also not sure why Sexton sat that long. He did have a fair amount of overly crazy drives, so it could definitely have been that, or it could have been rest, or a little of both.

Another thing about Gafford: I love guys who don't care if they end up on a poster. Dude is a savage. I mean not many defenders see a 7 footer coming at them with the ball cocked back and head full of steam and say "I'll meet you at the top!" That block on Lauri was straight up brutal. Would've been one of the dunks of the year and Gafford just sent it back.

Reactions: hgb
Another thing about Gafford: I love guys who don't care if they end up on a poster. Dude is a savage. I mean not many defenders see a 7 footer coming at them with the ball cocked back and head full of steam and say "I'll meet you at the top!" That block on Lauri was straight up brutal. Would've been one of the dunks of the year and he turned the play around.
Gafford had a fantastic game all around, and not only that block on Lauri, but at least one other (can't remember on who) was outstanding.

Gafford had a fantastic game all around, and not only that block on Lauri, but at least one other (can't remember on who) was outstanding.
Easy to play help D when you're defending the softest non skilled big in the NBA

Sexton with 6 assists in 16 minutes

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Easy to play help D when you're defending the softest non skilled big in the NBA
Hard defend the big you are talking about when that big is sitting on the bench. You just doing your thang.

Or I guess maybe you were talking about KO or Collins since they were the bigs that gafford was on the court defending for the majority of the game

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk