What's new

Game Thread Jan 25, 2024 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Wizards

Added to Calendar: 01-25-24

Hard defend the big you are talking about when that big is sitting on the bench. You just doing your thang.

Or I guess maybe you were talking about KO or Collins since they were the bigs that gafford was on the court defending for the majority of the game

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk
No, I mean the minutes he dominated when Walker was out there.

An improvement with Keyonte recently is that he's getting to the line quite a lot, and he's hitting his FTs. Felt like his FT shooting was a lot more off early in the season (not that I could be bothered to check right now).

Hard defend the big you are talking about when that big is sitting on the bench. You just doing your thang.

Or I guess maybe you were talking about KO or Collins since they were the bigs that gafford was on the court defending for the majority of the game

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk
When Gafford had that big block he was one foot in the paint peeling off of Kessler and waiting for Lauri. Kessler came crashing for the glass even though Lauri was crossing over the basket and was always gonna block Kesslers lane to the basket.

It looked a bit like a broken play. I'm not sure you want to curl towards the side where your big is the one spacing in the corner and his defender is waiting to meet you at the rim.... you also probably want a better kickout option in the weakside corner.

No, I mean the minutes he dominated when Walker was out there.
They shared the court for literally zero minutes in the first half. They shared the court for 7 minutes in the 4th quarter when the jazz were up by 20. Gafford played 31 minutes. 7 of his 31 minutes were while kessler was on court during a blowout. The comment you responded to was talking about how good gafford looked. You respond with some kessler hate. You doing your thang.

When Gafford had that big block he was one foot in the paint peeling off of Kessler and waiting for Lauri. Kessler came crashing for the glass even though Lauri was crossing over the basket and was always gonna block Kesslers lane to the basket.

It looked a bit like a broken play. I'm not sure you want to curl towards the side where your big is the one spacing in the corner and his defender is waiting to meet you at the rim.... you also probably want a better kickout option in the weakside corner.
They shared the court for literally zero minutes in the first half. They shared the court for 7 minutes in the 4th quarter when the jazz were up by 20. Gafford played 31 minutes. 7 of his 31 minutes were while kessler was on court during a blowout. The comment Cy responded to was talking about how good gafford looked in this game. Cy responded with some kessler hate. I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is to say the reason gafford had a good game was due to the 7 minutes he played against kessler while down 20 points.

They shared the court for literally zero minutes in the first half. They shared the court for 7 minutes in the 4th quarter when the jazz were up by 20. Gafford played 31 minutes. 7 of his 31 minutes were while kessler was on court during a blowout. The comment Cy responded to was talking about how good gafford looked in this game. Cy responded with some kessler hate. I was just pointing out how ridiculous it is to say the reason gafford had a good game was due to the 7 minutes he played against kessler while down 20 points.
Oh I'm not in the boat of arguing that Kessler made him look good. I even said that the biggest play he made, while he was on Kessler, looked more like a broken play from us.

View: https://youtu.be/g1FubfHe6l8?si=gFThklwd4XvdnIwO

Go to 7:20 in the video (8:50 left in the 4th quarter)

Lauri makes a great cut against poor kuzma defense, keyonte makes a great pass. Kessler is standing in the corner at the three point line. Gafford isn't paying any attention to kessler. Lauri wants the highlight dunk and goes straight at gafford and gets swatted. Kessler was going towards the hoop on the baseline for a wide open dunk if lauri makes the pass. I get why lauri didn't make the pass as he was confident he was going to put gafford through the hoop. Just weird that Cy has to hate on kessler at all times.
If Gobert or any other non shooter was placed in the corner on this play then the result would have been the same.
Gafford had a great all around game in his 31 minutes. Cy just has to be lame and make gaffords good game about kessler being a bad player.

Oh I'm not in the boat of arguing that Kessler made him look good. I even said that the biggest play he made, while he was on Kessler, looked more like a broken play from us.
It was actually a great play from us. Lauri could have passed to kessler for an easy dunk but taking it hard at the rim for a dunk or foul was a good decision too. Gafford simply made an amazing play.

It was actually a great play from us. Lauri could have passed to kessler for an easy dunk but taking it hard at the rim for a dunk or foul was a good decision too. Gafford simply made an amazing play.
Are you saying the play was designed so that there is a big waiting in the paint? I also cannot remember ever seeing a backdoor cut on that curl play... but I might just remember it wrong.

Feel free to post a pic if you've seen that same curl before with a backdoor cutter. I'm pretty sure this is what it's supposed to look like:

1706281713784.png

An improvement with Keyonte recently is that he's getting to the line quite a lot, and he's hitting his FTs. Felt like his FT shooting was a lot more off early in the season (not that I could be bothered to check right now).
I think he was getting fouled on jumpers a lot early in the year

View: https://youtu.be/g1FubfHe6l8?si=gFThklwd4XvdnIwO

Go to 7:20 in the video (8:50 left in the 4th quarter)

Lauri makes a great cut against poor kuzma defense, keyonte makes a great pass. Kessler is standing in the corner at the three point line. Gafford isn't paying any attention to kessler. Lauri wants the highlight dunk and goes straight at gafford and gets swatted. Kessler was going towards the hoop on the baseline for a wide open dunk if lauri makes the pass. I get why lauri didn't make the pass as he was confident he was going to put gafford through the hoop. Just weird that Cy has to hate on kessler at all times.
If Gobert or any other non shooter was placed in the corner on this play then the result would have been the same.
Gafford had a great all around game in his 31 minutes. Cy just has to be lame and make gaffords good game about kessler being a bad player.

A Walkersexual can't take Kessler being critiqued. What's new?

Are you saying the play was designed so that there is a big waiting in the paint? I also cannot remember ever seeing a backdoor cut on that curl play... but I might just remember it wrong.

Feel free to post a pic if you've seen that same curl before with a backdoor cutter. I'm pretty sure this is what it's supposed to look like:

View attachment 15880

I'm saying that Lauri markennan with a full of steam going one on one at rim is a good play. It's even better when you have a wide open dunk for a teammate as an option.

I think if that exact same play happens 100 times the result is a Lauri dunk, a Lauri trip to the line, a Kessler dunk, a Kessler trip to the line, or a three point play for either guy like 95% of the time.

Gafford made a sportscenter top 3 highlight play there. Gotta just tip your hat to him.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I think he was getting fouled on jumpers a lot early in the year
A Walkersexual can't take Kessler being critiqued. What's new?
The post was about how gafford had a great game. You turned that into a kessler criticism when Kessler had extremely little to do with gaffords game.
That's your current schtick.
I have no problem with someone criticizing Kessler when it makes sense. He sucked last night. He is a horrible free throw shooting and doesn't do much else than dunk on offense. Hell, I was the one who brought up trading him in the Kessler thread.
You have made other critical posts about him today that I didn't respond to. If I responded to all your negative posts about Kessler there would be no time in my life for anything else

You were being silly here

Last edited:
I'm saying that Lauri markennan with a full of steam going one on one at rim is a good play. It's even better when you have a wide open dunk for a teammate as an option.
If the secondary defender doesn't have to respect the player outside and camp in the paint, it's no longer one-on-one. Lauri blew past Kuzma, but it was one-on-two as Gafford was already in the paint before Lauri was. Walker reacted after Gafford went in the paint, but it certainly isn't by design.

And seriously, what's with the "markennan"?

The post was about how gafford had a great game. You turned that into a kessler criticism when Kessler had extremely little to do with gaffords game.
That's your current schtick.
I have no problem with someone criticizing Kessler when it makes sense. He sucked last night. He is a horrible free throw shooting and doesn't do much else than dunk on offense. Hell, I was the one who brought up trading him in the Kessler thread.
You have made other critical posts about him today that I didn't respond to. If I responded to all your negative posts about Kessler there would be no time in my life for anything else

You were being silly here

You know how sometimes when a kid has a crush on somebody, they'll make fun of their crush all the time?

Really starting to think Cy's "Walkersexual" thing is just a projection of his true feelings.

You know how sometimes when a kid has a crush on somebody, they'll make fun of their crush all the time?

Really starting to think Cy's "Walkersexual" thing is just a projection of his true feelings.
No, you know what it actually is Mr Throws Fits When Hardy Isn't Riding Walker for 30 MPG

If the secondary defender doesn't have to respect the player outside and camp in the paint, it's no longer one-on-one. Lauri blew past Kuzma, but it was one-on-two as Gafford was already in the paint before Lauri was. Walker reacted after Gafford went in the paint, but it certainly isn't by design.

And seriously, what's with the "markennan"?
There was no secondary defender. He was behind the play.
It markennan and Kessler vs gafford. A 2 on 1 in the jazz favor. That play will get us a bucket, or free throws or both 95% of the time. Great execution on a great play. Better defense though.

If you don't think that was the play then I guess we should blame keyonte for looking for markennan, blame markennan for running that curl, blame keyonte for making the pass, blame markennan for taking the shot.

I just don't see how that play is kesslers fault.

No, you know what it actually is Mr Throws Fits When Hardy Isn't Riding Walker for 30 MPG
Didn't see a single post criticizing hardy about that last night. Kessler sucked last night and had 5 fouls.

Didn't see a single post criticizing hardy about that last night. Kessler sucked last night and had 5 fouls.

I think the only time I did that recently was in the OKC game, and that was such an egregious example that even Cy himself said Walker should have gotten more playing time in that gamethread.

There was no secondary defender. He was behind the play.
It markennan and Kessler vs gafford. A 2 on 1 in the jazz favor. That play will get us a bucket, or free throws or both 95% of the time. Great execution on a great play. Better defense though.

If you don't think that was the play then I guess we should blame keyonte for looking for markennan, blame markennan for running that curl, blame keyonte for making the pass, blame markennan for taking the shot.
Kuzma was the primary defender. If you can't see even that, then I don't know what tell you. And Lauri beat him like a drum, even with JC's screen being a bit... soft, let's say.

If Lauri first beats three guys and then ends up 1:1 on somebody, it wasn't a 1:1 - it's one on four.

If our player in the weak side corner is Simo or even Collins, it's a free run to the hoop and a hammer dunk for Lauri. But because it's Walker, Gafford doesn't have to respect it one bit and can already be in the paint ahead of Lauri - and make that great defensive play.

The play was one that we run a ton. Lauri in the strong corner, someone pins down for him, he cuts (they don't switch), gets the pass as he already has a full head of steam and then goes for the hoop.

What the play doesn't include (as @HermanG said) is the weak side player cutting backdoor. Like, ever.

The play was perfectly executed by Keyonte, Lauri and JC and usually in that case that's 2-3 points for the Jazz. But the reason that Gafford could easily beat Lauri to the basket was because the weak side player was Walker.