What's new

Jazz’s Favors (and maybe Hood?) linked to Cavs

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor

Don McCormack
One of the items listed on the wish list on the scratch pad on Koby Altman’s desk is most likely “add size.”

To that end, the first-year general manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers could be looking West in an ability to cross that item off his wish list, according to a report.

As in Utah, and Derrick Favors.

Headed toward unrestricted free agency this summer, Favors is making $12 million this season and Utah — one of the most active teams in the league — is reputed to be looking to move him before the Feb. 8 deadline in order to receive something back and not lose him to free agency after the season.

Would Altman ask the Jazz about a package that also includes shooting guard Rodney Hood, another Jazz player headed toward unrestricted free agency after this season? Hood, a 6-foot-8 left-hander, is making $2,386,864 this season.

The salaries of Favors and Hood would be a match with what Cleveland’s Tristan Thompson is making this season — $16,400,000 — to make a potential trade work.

Like the Jazz, the Cavs are believed to be one of the most aggressive teams when it comes to looking for a deal.

Favors, a 6-foot-10, 265-pound power forward, is having a good season for the Jazz. He is averaging 12.5 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 28.1 minutes per game, while shooting career-bests from the field (55.4 percent) and the free-throw-line (71.9 percent).

He has started all 40 games in which he’s played for Utah (17-26) this season.

Favors, the 26-year-old Georgia Tech product selected third overall in the 2010 NBA draft by the New Jersey Nets, has career averages of 11.1 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.1 assists in his eight-year NBA career.

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-cl...hompson-derrick-favors-rodney-hood-utah-jazz/

I think the idea is Favors + Hood for the Nets pick (+ Thompson to make the deal work).

Otherwise what's in it for us?

The problem I don't know how valuable that Nets pick will be this year. There are A LOT of teams already started thinking about tanking this year.

I don't think the Jazz take JR Smith. He is such a terrible fit on so many levels. And after listening to a David Griffen interview yesterday (former Cavs GM), I don't think Cleveland should trade Shumpert. Griffen called him the best defender on the team and said they miss him. He also said he doesn't see any players possibly available, even Boogie and PG, who are worth the Brooklyn pick.

The Cavs would love to trade JR, but a more realistic trade is Frye, Calderon, their 1st (not Brooklyn's) and some other small contract for Favors. As long as all contracts coming our way are expiring or Osman, it's a smart trade for us.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Breathe easy as this is never going to happen. Thompson’s 5 PPG does nothing. His contract is an albatross at 18 million for the next two seasons. No team is taking that unless you are including picks.

i would not give away hood for free, and especially I would not give him up for a bad player like Thompson. **** i'd rather just keep favors, enjoy him for the last half of his final year here, and let him walk away for nothing than take Thompson. You would have to give me the pick. Or it's a multi team trade and we get something else.

I mean, the Jazz and Clavs have discussed Favors since last year according to Windhorst. That's no secret.

If they want us to take one of their garbage contracts plus getting Hood, then the Nets's pick needs to come into play. The Jazz would have to waive and stretch the salary of the incoming player (TT, JR or Shumpert). The Jazz could approach the offseason with two top 10 picks in a good draft plus a salary cap about the same as if they had resigned Hood at 17M per year. Ideally the Jazz would target IS plus one of their expiring contracts in order to match salaries.

The Cavs would get help now, a good young player for the next 3-4 years, and salary cap relief/flexibility (their repeater tax will be significant otherwise). Of course, it all depends of what Lebron is going to do (or what the front believes he will do), whether a star player could be obtained with the Nets's pick, the Nets play over the next few weeks, Cavs struggling, power dynamics within the organization, etc.

$18Mil/yr to ride the pine behind Rudy and Bradley?? No thanks. The Brooklyn pick isnt enough to take that on.

It would absolutely suck to take TT on. It would. But we need to stop kidding ourselves that Klay Thompson or his ilk are gonna sign here. It’s not happening. It’s not. Maybe there’s a 1% chance of it but I doubt it. Hell, we just had a guy here who played his whole career here and helped get us to 51 win status and we were getting better, and were staring 55-60 wins in the face this year and HE walked.

If we can get the Brooklyn pick (currently tied for 7th with Phoenix) and have our own pick say at 11, we have two monstrous assets, and could get one of these studs along with another really good player out of this draft. Two young prospects along with Gobert, Mitchell and maybe even Exum (unless he’s packaged to move up) is a hell of a core. Develop that all next year with Ingles, Sefolosha, Jerebko, Udoh, TT off the bench, guiding them.

We have a much better chance of getting a stud via the draft that way with those picks than we do via free agency.

It would absolutely suck to take TT on. It would. But we need to stop kidding ourselves that Klay Thompson or his ilk are gonna sign here. It’s not happening. It’s not. Maybe there’s a 1% chance of it but I doubt it. Hell, we just had a guy here who played his whole career here and helped get us to 51 win status and we were getting better, and were staring 55-60 wins in the face this year and HE walked.

If we can get the Brooklyn pick (currently tied for 7th with Phoenix) and have our own pick say at 11, we have two monstrous assets, and could get one of these studs along with another really good player out of this draft. Two young prospects along with Gobert, Mitchell and maybe even Exum (unless he’s packaged to move up) is a hell of a core. Develop that all next year with Ingles, Sefolosha, Jerebko, Udoh, TT off the bench, guiding them.

We have a much better chance of getting a stud via the draft that way with those picks than we do via free agency.

Thats fair.

So.

If we get the Nets pick and have our 2018 1st. What would it take to move up to top 3 (top 2 preferrably)? Would 2 picks inside top 10 be enough?

Thats fair.

So.

If we get the Nets pick and have our 2018 1st. What would it take to move up to top 3 (top 2 preferrably)? Would 2 picks inside top 10 be enough?

Maybe. It depends on how high the Brooklyn pick gets. How many picks we traded to get D-Will back in the day? I think it was the 6th, 27th and a future 1st.

If there is a player a team likes falling all the way to 6, sure, two 1st should be more than enough. But for that same reason a team might want to hold onto their picks. Drafts are fun!

Any trade with Thompson and without that Nets pick is a non-starter. I'd MUCH rather match Hood than pay Thompson.

Are they serious with this Thompson thing?

Agreed on the Nets 2018 pick inclusion or its not even a discussion.

But I get giddy at the thought of the Jazz FO having 2 potentially top 10 picks. As of right now they are #s 8 and 10.

For most teams, I would be okay with Thompson. He just does not fit our team. At least a player like Biyombo can serve as a very good backup center. Thompson cannot play center and we dont have the big who can spread the floor to make his minutes worthwhile.

After saying that, I would be interested in getting the Brooklyn pick at much cost. Just don't think losing Hood for Thompson and the pick is enough.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app