What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

At this point I’d rather keep Mitchell and have him play out his contract with us than hand him over to the pompous NY fan base and their media who are acting like the league owes them a favor. The fact that they think they have any sort of leverage in this deal is just laughable.

This is where I’m at.

Yeah...let's just let him walk in 3 years like Hayward did and get absolutely nothing for him instead of trading him for a haul of assets. That'll show those damn Knicks fans and media members.

I mean, Royce got a FRP. Some of the vets would probably have better value after training camp, the preseason, and the first couple weeks of the season shake out. If a team catches fire, they would be VERY interested in adding good vets and less concerned about the value of a pick.
Contract size and fit meant Royce likely gets a little more bang for our buck. It was largely seen as an overpay by the Nets as well.

I think Bogey and Vando can get you a first. Bev maybe if you take some bad salary in the deal. JC/Mike/Beasley will all have more value in season imo depending on injuries and how well they play. I think Malik in particular because he has a team option and could start putting up 20 a game (in semi-meaningless basketball) and look really good. He's the type that fits just about anywhere. If possible I'd rather aggregate a few of them together in a deal to get a premium pick like the Lakers unprotected future picks. Definitly worth keeping a few of them as its tough to assess any young players if your team is complete garbage.

Yeah...let's just let him walk in 3 years like Hayward did and get absolutely nothing for him instead of trading him for a haul of assets. That'll show those damn Knicks fans and media members.
No, idiot just keep him this year. Then trade him the following year. By then other teams with comparable assets will join the Knicks in a bidding war causing the Knicks to pay up the ***

Fred Katz on ESPN700...

Thinks deal happens before training camp... if a deal happens he thinks its Fournier, Grimes, 3 unprotected picks from Knicks, 2 others from their protected pile. Said he wouldn't be surprised if Quickly ends up in the deal.
Ugh, what a horrible deal.

Ugh, what a horrible deal.
I’d take it. It isn’t The Godfather offer but I’m not sure there would be a team that has ever had more unprotected picks from other teams ever. OKCs picks mostly have some protections.

You can rest easy though… I’m sure Danny is still saying 4 unprotected picks 2 other picks, Toppin, Grimes, and IQ or GTFOH. I think the Katz stuff is more like “here’s what the Knicks would like it to be” and not what Danny is willing to accept.

I’d love to get 2023/2026/2028 with one swap in 27… Grimes and Toppin for entertainment purposes. Give me 2 extra picks and a couple seconds and I’m straight. I’ll take Fournier too instead of Rose to make it easier on them.

Welp, if that's the "haul" at least the Jazz will give me the gift of free time this year.
I think your expectations are pretty divorced from reality. It’s great that Ainge got one of the biggest asset hauls of all time for a single player with Gobert but that wasn’t normal or expected by any stretch.

I’ll take Rose, Fournier, and Toppin (mostly to needle the Knicks’ big depth) with three unprotected picks and four swaps for Donovan and Gay if it comes down to it. But I prioritize that over any of the protected picks or players.

If James Dolan dies, then my undying faith in the Knicks sucking in perpetuity might change. As it stands, I think they are doomed and they are picking up a top-shelf young scorer and need to cough up premium assets with a reasonable chance in sum to replace his impact in the coming years. That’s unprotected picks and swaps.

I think your expectations are pretty divorced from reality. It’s great that Ainge got one of the biggest asset hauls of all time for a single player with Gobert but that wasn’t normal or expected by any stretch.
My expectations are having something worth watching. I don't think that's a high expectation for a professional basketball team, but to each their own.

That doesn't even mean winning. What it does mean is having at least one player who's potential is higher than Quentin Grimes. No offense to him as I'm sure he's a fine player and all.

My expectations are having something worth watching. I don't think that's a high expectation for a professional basketball team, but to each their own.

That doesn't even mean winning. What it does mean is having at least one player who's potential is higher than Quentin Grimes. No offense to him as I'm sure he's a fine player and all.
It's either go through a rebuild 3 years from now with even fewer assets or start it now with a lot more.

Take your pick.

It's either go through a rebuild 3 years from now with even fewer assets or start it now with a lot more.

Take your pick.
This is real good. Very simplistic way to put it that cuts to its core.

Can't wait for the schedule release today and to find out who has leverage now... Knicks fans surely think that their early season schedule will give them leverage because of something. Book it.

Can't wait for the schedule release today and to find out who has leverage now... Knicks fans surely think that their early season schedule will give them leverage because of something. Book it.

I’m feeling like we should tell them to beat Miami’s offer or **** off.

Knicks going to lose a lot of games even if their schedule is "easy". There aren't many bad teams in the NBA.

Knicks going to lose a lot of games even if their schedule is "easy". There aren't many bad teams in the NBA.
Yes... but if its a murderers row to start the first 10 games or so it could benefit us to wait until in season. I just remember that Lakers team when they knew the AD trade was gonna happen and it hung over their young players like a black cloud. Same thing could happen and eventually there is panic... a 2-8 start and all the headlines are like "why didn't we do the Don trade again? To save a couple picks? To make sure we had Grimes?"

Of course if the season strays too far too fast maybe their 2023 pick becomes so valuable they won't move it... or they will assign too much value to it and we get less in the future.

I’m feeling like we should tell them to beat Miami’s offer or **** off.
If their offer is all the picks/swaps, Jovic, Herro and other stuff they can offer then sure. You just tell them that you value Herro a lot so that is worth a couple unprotected picks in your eyes... so beat that and don't eff around or we out.

I still wait a month before I get there but at some point pre-season you make a final call for good offers and decide to move Don or wait.

Take your pick.
If the assets don't include anyone worth watching this year (again, my standards aren't high...I'll settle for an Obi Toppin), then fine, do whatever, but it doesn't mean I have to watch this team this season.