What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

The interesting thing to me would be who initiated the most recent discussion.

Got to think Utah is the one who gave the information for this. I really think DA and company just want Donovan Mitchell trade talks to be as relevant as possible in NYC to apply pressure.
Story is a bit Utah-centric as it does mention the Jazz are comfortable taking Mitch into Training Camp and that there were "other suitors." Can take it for what you will, but doesn't really say anything that wasn't already known.

The interesting thing to me would be who initiated the most recent discussion.

Got to think Utah is the one who gave the information for this. I really think DA and company just want Donovan Mitchell trade talks to be as relevant as possible in NYC to apply pressure.
Probably us... maybe? After we talked with a few other teams maybe we circled back to them. I could also see it as just a post vacation check in... may have even calendared some time to pick it back up when they initially talked at Summer League.

I think that in general Shams and Tony are relaying the message that the Jazz FO want out there. The message over the last few weeks is that we are happy to keep Mitchell and we aren't going to settle for the horrible offers NY has sent us.

I think the Jazz are trying to get some things moving.

I think that in general Shams and Tony are relaying the message that the Jazz FO want out there. The message over the last few weeks is that we are happy to keep Mitchell and we aren't going to settle for the horrible offers NY has sent us.

I think the Jazz are trying to get some things moving.
Makes sense. Truth is most teams "leak" to backchannel some information on what works and what won't. Part of the PR game.

Makes sense. Truth is most teams "leak" to backchannel some information on what works and what won't. Part of the PR game.
It had a hint of Jazz confidence like "if it happens or if it doesn't we are good and Don is good". All this "Knicks can pay the most" stuff is super irrelevant if they aren't willing to give like 60-70% of the stuff they can give. We have the house... just because your offer on the house is the best we have now doesn't mean we sell... we just won't move.

Right. WOJ and the NY Media guys are leaking stuff like Ainge is asking for 8 picks + all their good young players. That way if a deal doesn't come through they can save face with how unreasonable the asking price was. Shams and TJ are reporting how NY is only offering protected firsts and bad contracts, again so they can save face about how unreasonable NY is being. Like you said, the PR game.

giphy.gif

The hilarious thing is I have a friend who orders team merchandise for a sporting good store. He told me yesterday that the Jazz sent an email with a bunch of the new stuff with Mitchell's name on it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

At this point I’d rather keep Mitchell and have him play out his contract with us than hand him over to the pompous NY fan base and their media who are acting like the league owes them a favor. The fact that they think they have any sort of leverage in this deal is just laughable.
I'd rather trade him to Miami for their picks/swaps/Herro and other minor stuff... but yeah their front office guy is playing with fire here. If your dream house comes on the market, you have the money to buy it... you may not want to haggle over price too hard.

Imagine Toronto comes in with an offer of OG and 4 firsts but as part of the deal offer we can't go ask the Knicks to counter... they/we already have some third team lined up for OG that will give us some draft capital. They lose cuz they were a little too confident... would be amazing.

Knicks fans are pretty annoying bunch... assume Don deal is inevitable... already talk like he's on the roster... act like he requested a trade there. Maybe its better if we do get their stuff and then Don leaves them in FA in a few years!!!

And if Charlotte will give their 27/29 unprotected, swaps in 26/28, the Denver pick, PJ Washington, Bouknight... then they are in the convo. They can also add another pick or swaps by saying if their 2023 pick falls top 16 we can have the right to swap it with the Minny pick... if it goes above that and thus conveys to SA, then we get the 2025 Charlotte pick as well.

Its also weird for Knicks fans to simultaneously be super confident and then talk about how they have the best trade package... when almost all of the value in that package is because they and everyone else assumes their unprotected picks will be in the lotto.

At this point, I don’t think a trade happens. All offseason long, the only times our front office has gone on record is to say that they’ll “do what’s best for the Utah Jazz”. Aside from knowing that the Knicks and the Jazz have had discussions, we really don’t know just how interested Utah is in trading Donovan. Pretty much every nugget of info has been speculation by the media.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ainge’s gameplan is using the Gobert assets to build a team around Donovan that compels him to stay.